tuscl

Missouri strip club legislation declared unconstitutional

Saturday, August 27, 2005 7:22 AM
Yesterday, the Missouri Supreme Court ruled that the new strip club law that was to take effect Thursday constitutes an unconstitutional limits on First Amendment rights, specifically freedom of expression. The law would have, among other things, prevented dancers from working within ten feet of each other, would have prevented any contact between dancers and customers, and would have make it a misdemeanor for a customer to put a bill in a dancer's garter belt. Missouri is not exactly a big state for clubs, largely because the two major metropolitan areas in the state have their own restrictions on adult entertainment. However, there are some decent little clubs in a few of the smaller towns. The St. Louis ordinances were pushed through at the insistence of a long-tenured prosecuting attorney whose career at the bar was ended when he met an undercover cop in a hotel room during a prostitution sting.

6 comments

• DandyDan
    19 years ago
    Chitownlawyer: I knew there had to be a specific club in the KC area and Bonita Flats is it. I'll have to go there if I ever can go that way again. (Only 3 hours from Omaha.)
  • chitownlawyer
    19 years ago
    Bonita Flats is in Olathe, Kansas.
  • themailman
    19 years ago
    shadowcat...I saw that. Serious bummer...bet it won't stay closed long though...I hope...
  • chitownlawyer
    19 years ago
    DandyDan: My favorite club in the KC area is Bonita Flats, about 25 miles SW of KC, across the Kansas line. A little rough, but great dances. Unfortunately, no private dance areas, for those to whom that is important.
  • DandyDan
    19 years ago
    That might be a good thing, but if you are in KC, you are still better off going to Lawrence or Topeka, KS. I believe there might be other clubs closer to KC in Kansas that are good, but I haven't been to them.
  • themailman
    19 years ago
    Send the lawyers to Nashville. The Metro Council here is trying to enact the same sort of legislation.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion