tuscl

META: Tell me about the history of this board.

chandler
Blue Ridge Foothills
Saturday, September 3, 2005 5:23 AM
I only noticed this discussion board about three weeks ago. How long has it been here? Who has been posting the longest? How has it changed over time? Have there been any memorable controversies, wars, etc., that you could relate? In other words, what have I missed? Also, it appears topics are automatically removed after one week with no replies. Is anybody archiving this stuff, or has anybody asked TUSCL whether it's still accessible?

17 comments

• chandler
    19 years ago
    I've found that if you bookmark a thread, you can still browse it after it has dropped off the list. Presumbably, you could then bump it back onto the list by adding a reply. As for the thread numbers, yes, you can dredge up old topics by entering the right number at the end of the URL. For example, this topic's URL ends in" 75703". Change that to "69741" and you get a topic from last February, "DATY: How common is it?" (Yay!) It's a crapshoot, though, and a pretty tedious one at that, because only about 10% of numbers yield anything, and there's no telling what that might be, nor is there a way to search for old topics by content. That's enough detective work for me. I think I will email Founder for further tips. I agree, CG, that it's just as well for threads to disappear. My interest isn't in reviving them, but in referring back to choice bits of wisdom, humor, whatever. I guess it's a pack rat thing.
  • casualguy
    19 years ago
    I thought someone once posted a method for reviving old threads. I don't remember what it is though unless it has something to do with adding to past thread numbers. This is actually the one thing that RL seems to excel at. I'm actually perfectly fine with threads disappearing after a week of no postings.
  • mtang
    19 years ago
    at least davids has begun to post about interesting things in SC's and when he doesn't attack people he actually makes points I agree with sometimes.
  • Yoda
    19 years ago
    All you need to do to keep a thread alive is add a post within a week. Mouse: I agree about Davids. Others may choose to ignore him but I enjoy jousting with someone who is as hard-headed as I am.
  • Mouse
    19 years ago
    Oh, I meant to add, I think davids is making significant contributions. He provides new and needed energy here.
  • Mouse
    19 years ago
    Chandler, if you want to keep the posts just print them out and save them, or copy them to your hard disk.
  • chandler
    19 years ago
    Thanks, boys. This is all fascinating to me, in that there appears to be no archive of past topics. I'm ambivalent over the lack of one. On the one hand, it seems a shame that some of the discussions I've enjoyed just over the past three weeks will be lost. However, it might be good to not always have ready access to past flame wars, embarassing exchanges, etc. At any rate, I'm really enjoying this group. There's a good mix of crackpots and level heads here.
  • Yoda
    19 years ago
    The site has existed since 1995-10 years and 247 days to be exact. This discussion board as been around for 3 or 4 years. I statred posting on the Mass and RI boards in 1999. Back then there was actualy some useful info, now the local boards are mostly stupid gilted customers, club owners and jealous dancers ripping each other. The reviews are an OK guideline but not always accurate. This discussion board hasn't changed much other than the fact that unregisterd users can't post here anymore-since they where the cause of most of the flamming-also the reason (not RL) that most dancers don't post here anymore. Regular posters come and go and the topics get regenerated but really don't change much. Guysd who think they have it all figured out are a dime a dozen. There is nothing new here but it is entertaining at times.
  • turan8
    19 years ago
    I think RL is just a bot, cause I never see him participating in dicussion, only topic making
  • davids
    19 years ago
    Mouse: Actually I think RL just considers veterans to be really bad newbies. Lately I've noticed subtler and more sophisticated posts from him. These appear to be targetted at veterans. Unfortunately: - I think he has alienated the veterans too much in the past by calling them "pathetic losers" and such to get through now (or least he has made it very difficult on himself) - His good posts tend to get lost when he does mass postings which include so many "recycles".
  • Mouse
    19 years ago
    Actually Superdude makes more sense that anyone else - he is a fairminded and very clear thinker with a background in law inforcement (I think with the Federeal Government). Yoda and FONDL and others (I apologize for forgetting someone) also are long time posters of high quality. (Yoda enjoys a good flame war on occasion.) Niceass used to post and was fun, but for some unknown reason moved on. Actually, RLs first pseudonym was LOVER, but not original enough to officially register on this forum, so FOUNDER gave him his current pseudonym of Romatic Lover - both total misnomers. Initially, RL was a regular discussant with many lengthy posts, but he/she went to the pithy approach without repostes. RL is on a mission to protect all of us from the evils of strippers - a worth cause for naive newbies, but for the veterans it's very redundant and very boring. It also tends to chase off strippers, who might otherwise post. Can you blame them - NO.
  • davids
    19 years ago
    chandler: Look at the dates that some of RL's threads start. I've seen him bump stuff up from a year ago.
  • FONDL
    19 years ago
    I haven't actually been reading or posting here for very long, maybe about 2-3 years max, and it hasn't changed much during that time. About the only change that I can recall is that it seems like we used to have more dancers represented. I read and wrote reviews for quite a while before I ever bothered looking at this discussion board. In fact if I recall that's how I met my ATF, by checking out a place whose review I read here. That would have been about 10 years ago, is that possible? Or that might have been another similar site that I used to read. Didn't there used to be another site similar to this one? Maybe there still is.
  • chandler
    19 years ago
    But is RL truly bringing back topics that had dropped off the list, or is he just re-posting the same questions? (Sure, all of his questions are variations on the same topic, but you know what I mean.) I tried entering random DiscussID #s at the end of the URL in my browser's location box, but nothing comes up. Maybe I'll bug Founder dude about it. I'd still appreciate hearing a bit about the board's past from some of the regulars around here. FONDL, Yoda, anybody?
  • davids
    19 years ago
    chandler: The stuff must still be accessible since RL is able to bump up old topics periodically.
  • SuperDude
    19 years ago
    There used to be flame wars on here that would curl your hair. Dancers stopped posting. FOUNDER had to put in filters for the first time. SIVLEP was a major flamer. I believe he has been blocked. Mouse and Yoda are oldtimers who make a lot of sense. Romantic Lover may be SIVELP, come back from the dead.
  • davids
    19 years ago
    I am also interested in this subject. In particular what's the history of RL? Did he start out trying to debate more and then just get frustrated?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion