tuscl

Strippers Who Gain Weight

chandler
Blue Ridge Foothills
One of the disappointments of going back to a club over the years is seeing a 20 year old with a nice figure turn into a near porker at 25. I'm not talking here just about anorexics and unrealistic body images. These girls start out healthy, with curves. Then somewhere along the line, they let themselves go and pack on the pounds to the point where, when you see them onstage, you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Why must it be, people?

10 comments

• FONDL
    19 years ago
    Young people of all occupations rely heavily on fast food because it's quick, easy, fairly cheap (although not as cheap as eating at home) and the combination of fat and salt tastes fairly good if that's what you're used to. Plus most young people have not yet learned how to prepare their own meals. As they age some people change to healthier eating habits, some don't. It's fairly easy to tell which is which.
  • DandyDan
    19 years ago
    FONDL-

You are right about strippers eating fast food a lot. At my favorite club, they have a Pizza Hut across the street and someone always seems to have something from there. One of the dancers there says all the Pizza Hut employees, some of whom are presumably still in high school, know their real names and their stage names. [Maybe RL needs to work for them. :)] I've been to several clubs where they order pizza in or Mexican or Chinese. You gotta wonder whether they think about what they are eating while at the job they are working at.
  • FONDL
    19 years ago
    Shadowcat, I totally agree with you, I love a dancer who works out enough to be really fit without becoming a hard-body. That's exaclty how my ATF is. And you don't even have to touch them to appreciate their fitness, it shows in the way that they move, like watching a leopard walk. Wow!

Chandler, you are so right about weight loss and gain. I've had a few weight fluctuations, particularly of the seasonal type (I usually weigh about 10 pounds more over winter because I'm less active and do more partying. What I find interesting is once I level off at a particular weight, either at the high end or the low end, it's hard to get it to move in the opposite direction. When I'm light I can misbehave without much effect as long as I don't keep doing it. Similarly when I'me heavy it's really hard to get rid of that first pound or two. I think that frustrates a lot of people. If you want to change your weight you have to change your lifestyle, permanently. The focus has to be on lifestyle, not weight.
  • chandler
    19 years ago
    A lot of good points being made. FONDL, your last comment is so true, and something we easily lose sight of in trying to figure out why young strippers aren't more sensible about their work. Sometimes, it almost seems like strippers get fat to punish themselves, or to eat their way out of "the life".

I know a stripper who started at 18 or 19, then got pregnant and gave birth at 20. It took her about a year to get her weight back to where she was willing to strip again. Once she did, she looked fantastic. (That's when I first met her.) She stayed that way for a few months, then, little by little, she regained all the pounds she had lost. And she didn't stop there.

I wonder how many cases are like hers. Health experts warn that a quick weight loss can be unsustainable, even counterproductive. That the body wants to restore equilibrium, so only a small increase in calorie intake can produce a pendulum swing in weight gain. Perhaps a lot of strippers starve themselves into shape when they start - when we first see them and form our image of their "proper" weight - then they pay the consequences.
  • FONDL
    19 years ago
    I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that these girls can afford to eat out often and eat most of their meals at fast food places. Kids who go off to college often do exactly the same thing. I know I did, but in my case it was mostly beer. I agree with Chandler's comment but I don't think many of them think that way, they all think that the job is only temporary and that soon they'll be doing something else. I've never met a young stripper who planned to make it a career. If they did they'd probably approach it very differently.
  • Yoda
    19 years ago
    The lifestyle takes it's toll on some of these ladies. They kid themselves into thinking that they get a lot of exercise at work but the truth is they spend most of a shift sitting around. I tend to favor older dancers and the ones who still look good into their thirties (and forties!) tend to be the ones who don't drink too much at work, lead a sensible life outsde of the club and visit the gym at least a couple of times a week.
  • DandyDan
    19 years ago
    I seem to recall reading in some vaguely scientific book or magazine that people who work the night shift, like many strippers do, seem to have more weight problems since the human body is not supposed to be nocturnal. Eating at certain times causes more weight gain than other times. Add to that what they eat, and there's your weight gain explanation, although I myself don't worry about it too much.
  • JC2003
    19 years ago
    If a stripper starts gaining weight because she stopped doing drugs, more power to her. She should start looking for another line of work though.
  • chandler
    19 years ago
    You would think that strippers would find it more important than "anyone else", seeing as they make their livelihood from displaying their body to large groups of people.
  • FONDL
    19 years ago
    I've had that experience too. I once saw a girl several times in a WV club who I really liked. Went back looking for her again 6 months later and didn't even recognize her. Why do they do it? The same reasons anyone else does, their health isn't a high priority for them. They get in the habit of drinking a lot and eating a high fat high calorie diet and don't get enough exercise, and they don't care. It isn't important to them.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion