tuscl

Reply to Art - re: Reading

Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:34 PM
"Doesn't anybody read books any more? Learn new words. Travel the world in your mind. Let your imagination soar" This is a quote from farmerart recently. The following is a book that I am rereading for the umpteenth time: "The Jesus Factor" written by Edwin Corley. A very nice work of fiction which travels around the world. The book has an interesting premise.

34 comments

• SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    From the title alone, sounds like I need to read that book. Good looking out, Al. As for me, I'm about to finish up John Marco Allegro's book, "The Sacred Mushroom and The Cross." I'm also re-reading Steven Pressfield's book, "The War Of Art", for the third time. May I suggest three books that have influence myself? Joseph Campbell's "The Power of Myth" Alan Watts "The Book" Myomoto Musashi "The Book of Five Rings"
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    WhenI was a kid, probably 10, I read a book called Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Way out book for a kid to read.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    I am reading Margaret MacMillan's new WW I book - The War That Ended Peace. She is a terrific historian. About ten years ago, I enjoyed very much her previous WW I book, Paris 1919.
  • JGoose
    10 years ago
    Loving that avatar Alucard! I've been reading Heinlein's Cat Who Walks Through Walls book for the last couple of months. I've also had Dawkins God Delusion on the nightstand.
  • bang69
    10 years ago
    The book I love to read is my pocket version of the US constitution. epically the SECOND AMENDMENT!!!!! @ Alucard. You have the rite to your opinion in regards to the rite to keep & bear arms. You forget that. It was us the common law abiding gun owning citizen who gave birth to this country. So next time you go on your anti gun sepal remember what I just said!!!!
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Just finished "Competing on Analytics" by Davenport and Harris
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    I've read Heinlein JGoose. I can't get into his stuff. Arthur C Clarke is my preferred writer of Hard Sci-fi.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Hey guys, here's a very thought provoking short, short story. Takes just a few minutes. Let me know what you think. By Lester del Ray [view link]
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Props to Mikey. Great read. Damn them Usurpers.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    Lester del Rey was always one of my favorites as a kid; his "juvies" never seemed like the condescending sort that some others were.
  • Dracula
    10 years ago
    I read cereail boxes
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Cereal boxes can be educational Cap'n Crunch teaches valuable skills lIke map reading
  • JGoose
    10 years ago
    Alucard, you have to remember that Heinlein wrote two types of speculative fiction. He started with his juveniles which were stories sold to the youth market, and are pretty straight forward. Then he started writing his adult stories, which got really weird. I would certianly avoid Number of the Beast though.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    JGoose. NotB wasn't too bad, nor was The Cat Who Walked Through Walls, but To Sail Beyond the Sunset was just plain bad.
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    Three nonfiction books that I have read the most often: 1. "The Dragons of Eden" by Dr Carl Sagan 2. "Eleanor of Aquitaine" by Alison Weir 3. "Brock's Brain" by Dr Carl Sagan
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    That should be Broca's Brain - darn auto correct.
  • Dracula
    10 years ago
    Im Dracula
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    SlickSpic, have you checked out the title of the book in my original post by Mr Corley?
  • JGoose
    10 years ago
    georgmicrodong, it's all good until they go to Oz, then I think it goes down hill from there. Especially the last chapter that is all conversation with new characters so you have no idea who is saying what! Then again, I also loved SiaSL. What I mostly love about Heinlein is the follow of his prose. I can't think of any other writers that I've read that can use words in the manner in which he did.
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    No Reply SlickSpic?
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    I haven't yet but I'm going to order it. Would you suggest an actual book or an Audible download? Have you checked out any of the books that I suggested? Especially The Book Of Five Rings. It's an old Japanese book about swordplay that many business people like but I like it as it is.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Hey Alucard! I notice that you respect my brother Carl Sagan. You know that Sagan was a major Ganga smoker.
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    I am not sure that it is available as an Audible audio book. Wasn't the last time I checked. Too old and obscure. Into rereading another old work of fiction about a NTSB air accident investigation. The type of detective work these people do to solve the reason[s] for an air accident is fascinating. [As are cable programs on the subject] Book is "Flameout" written by Basil Jackson. (1976)
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    No SlickSpic, I don’t usually care what an author does in his/her private life. Can't imagine how many brain cells that destroyed, if what you say is true.
  • tumblingdice
    10 years ago
    J.F.C.Does anyone in this thread care about what the "Oracle of Omaha"bought today?
  • snowtime
    10 years ago
    Have to say it is refreshing to see a thread like this one. I don't read alot of books, but enjoyed the discussion. Certainly a lot more refreshing than the petty name calling that usually fills the discussion board, And yes, TD, I would be interested in Buffet's latest purchase. One of his more recent ones was Devita which I had purchased before his accumulation became public knowledge.
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    Thank you snowtime Sir.
  • tumblingdice
    10 years ago
    I just have a tough time with fiction.Never had time for the stars nor the bottoms of the oceans. And yes Snow it depends on what public you are in.
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    ^^^ What is your preferred reading category tumblingdice? Nonfiction, Biographies, technical manuals, etc. I am curious.
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    No Reply?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    ^^^ homo
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    I finished Margaret MacMillan's WW I history last evening. I have started reading two mysteries for my weekend entertainment: Cockroaches by Jo Nesbo, featuring as the hero a damaged alcoholic detective, Harry Hole and Light of the World by James Lee Burke, featuring his damaged alcoholic detective, Dave Robicheaux. Already, I prefer the Burke. It takes place in Montana's Flathead Valley, an area I know quite well. There are references to the rodeo circuit from Calgary to Cheyenne. A scene on the monkey board of an oil rig has been described. I am right at home in this book.
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    Just recently finished relistening to a an Audiobook of Richard Preston's "The Hot Zone". A REALLY terrifying non-fiction work. [I read the book when it was 1st published in Hardcover] It details how close this country came to a Massive Biological Holocaust. All that prevented it was a few protein structure changes in a virus.
  • Spirit_of_Alucard
    7 years ago
    A poster with HONOR quite unlike certain current posters!!! RIP good man. You have returned to the STARDUST!!!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion