tuscl

OT:Blue Eyed Soul

Just sipping some Jameson and listening to music and I had a revelation of sorts. I feel that Hall & Oats are the best Blue Eyed Soul Group ever. Sara Smile, Rich Girl, Kiss Is On My List, I Can't Go For That-These dudes got soul.

20 comments

• SuperDude
    11 years ago
    The Righteous Brothers invented the art form. "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"
  • rockie
    11 years ago
    Rascals, Van Morrison, Rod Stewart, David Bowie, Mitch Ryder, Boz Scaggs, Steve Winwood (Spencer Davis Group), The Righteous Brothers, Joss Stoneb and Hall & Oates are my "A" team in blue eyed soul. One of my favorite TV shows these days is Darryl's house where he plays with stars of yesterday and today.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Joss Stone, Winehouse, and Adele got it.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Can't forget AWB!
  • magicrat
    11 years ago
    Love me some blue eyed soul. Some new guys...Mayer Hawthorne, Paul Thorn, Glenn Hansard.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Simply Red
    Eric Burdon
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    When I first heard this song on the soundtrack of "The Walking Dead" I was absolutely blown away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZiJNdCK…

When I found out it was a white guy from the UK I was stunned.

Jamie Commons
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Actually, that was a remix of the original

Here is a version I prefer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zchMsSsXk…
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    There are some of their songs on my iPod.
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    Jimmy Buffet! My hero: He made a career out out of bad life decisions!
  • ilbbaicnl
    11 years ago
    The rumbling you feel under your feet is from every deceased Black person rolling over in their grave.
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    Really, ilbbaicnl, why would that be?
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    Well, probably because Buffet isn't purely a soul artist; part country, part rocker, part reggae, part soul, part baladeer. None the less, I love all of his music. And, frankly I was pulling chains and expected some abuse.

Did anyone see the B.B. King sketches in Amazon Women on the Moon where he is soliciting for the "Blacks Without Soul" charity? It was an absolute stitch. And it got even funnier when the singer who was portrayed in the "ads", a Sammie Davis knockoff, was marketing his muszak with the tagline, "He turned an affliction into a carrier". Priceless stuff. Actually, the whole movie is one of my all time favorites.
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    That's career, not carrier. Autocorrect got me again!
  • dallas702
    11 years ago
    Elvis. Really, Elvis Presley,

When he wasn't inventing hip wiggling Rock and Roll or chasing skirts, guns and another high, Elvis was a really good natural voice. His long time back up group, the Jordanairs, cut many Gospel albums on their own. What most people don't know is that Elvis sang with (not as lead) the group on many of those songs. The Memphis dude also knew how to sing the Blues (Memphis style, of course).

I knew one of the Jordanairs when I lived in Nashville in the '70s and he let me listen to some private recordings (reel to reel) of the gang (Including Elvis) singing Blues, Gospel and Delta Soul. One of the soul numbers included Elvis (clearly his voice, but without the twang) adding his own verses - and WOW - that dude could do soul!

I didn't really like Elvis music back then (still don't care much for his Rock&Roll or Pop stuff) but I do know he could sing and sometimes he sang with his soul!
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    And Elvis was a martial artist. Ed Parker Karate. Ki-ah!
  • skibum609
    11 years ago
    The single most classic Blue eyed soul song ever was performed by a local bar band called the soul survivors. Check out Expressway to you Heart and imagine that not one band member was black. Just a bunch of white boys from central Massachusetts. John Oates is awesome - a telemark skier living in Colorado and just jamming with local musicians when he's not tree skiing.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Great choice Skibum. I can't forget Bobby Caldwell, either. What You Won't Do For Love.
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    And serious, folks, don't forget Aretha Franklin!
  • bigman226
    9 years ago
    Michael Mcdonald / Doobie Brothers, Phil Collins & George Michael
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion