tuscl

Couldn't have happened to a nicer club.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 4:26 PM
When I used to live in Cleveland several years back, I had the misfortune of working at this place for a couple of months. Very surprised it took this long... [view link]

7 comments

• Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    That's a story that's been told around the country. It's nothing new. Clubs take advantage of dancers, other employees, and their customers.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    Ah GREED........a piss poor business practice. LOL!
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    I'm sure management takes it too far but I still say that a most dancers would be very unhappy under a system where they were treated as employees and that if they were truly treated as IC's then the atmosphere would suffer terribly for both customers and the business.
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    I find the dancer vs. club cut of sales info to be very interesting. Most clubs I've been to enough to have some rapor built up, I've been told by multiple dancer that it's a 50/50 split. Could be SS, but let's humor the though for sake of argument. According to the article the dancer at Christie's gets between 66% and 75% of a sale. Better than 50/50 split. I also don't see any logic in the variation in the danger/club ratio. On one hand, it seems like the varying splits would discourage a dancer from 'up-selling' from a main floor dance to a VIP floor dancer. Then again, I'm way over analyzing this. Definitely shady that the club doesn't pay back the dancers 1:1 on "club dollars" after already charging the PL a 15% markup.
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    Do cutsies have to use "club dollars" or can you bring your own Benjamen's at this place?
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    @ mjx: Here in Seattle, there's a club, Pandora's, that uses tokens (like poker chips) similarly to how Christies does. When a customer wants to use a debit card in the club, the club gives the customer a token for each $5. put on the card. No "convenience" fee is charged to the customer for this, but when the dancer goes to redeem it, the club takes a 10% cut. A chain of four clubs, owned by the same groups of owners, was put out of business in 2010. Among the violations cited were the same use of those tokens. Their use in that form was considered money laundering. Pandora's was started by a former d.j. at the now closed clubs. He took their precise business model and duplicated it at his club. I'm surprised the feds haven't been into to "visit" him about his use of tokens.
  • skibum609
    11 years ago
    Old story. A court case in Massachusetts made them employees.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion