tuscl

Superstitions

Monday, June 17, 2013 12:14 AM
I try to let logic and fact rule my actions. No person can ever remove emotions from one's life but I try desperately to limit emotion's effects on my actions. I have no superstitions save for a single silly one. I continue to use the same wallet that I have used for 48 years. This wallet has accompanied me on my career journey in the oil patch. It is in very rough shape now but I will not throw it away. This wallet held the first dollar that I ever earned from my first company. When I sold that company I walked around in a funk for three days with a nine-figure cheque in that grungy old wallet. My Toronto sweetie gave me a lovely new wallet as a Christmas gift. I had to tell her that I would never use it. She sort of understands my superstition but not 100%. Cripes! I am not sure that I understand it myself; probably a fear of death or something like that. Whatever it is, that ratty old wallet is a part of me.

14 comments

• Experimental
    11 years ago
    Use the new wallet to hold the condoms and the old one to hold the cash.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Ain't nothing wrong with that, Art. On a much smaller scale, I grow attached to pens and hate it when they run out of ink. I want to use My pen, not another. Oh well.
  • Shamrock211
    11 years ago
    I've had my current wallet for 21 years. It's falling apart yet has perfectly conformed over the year to fit my ass. I hate the thought of having to break in a new one so I'll keep it til it falls apart. I'm the same with shoes. I'll wear them til they fall off my feet or smell too bad to have in the house any more.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    It must be a quality wallet. I hate new wallets too, but I'm guessing I've had 4. 10 to 12 years seems to maximum life on mine.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    Art, I'm the opposite. I've had my current wallet for around twenty years. It should have been replaced about ten years ago. But, I keep hoping what happened to you, will happen to me: Any of several strippers whom I've spent so much money on will recognize that I need a new wallet, and give me one (even a cheap one) as a gift, in recognition for all I've done for her. She might even say something like, "You've worn out that wallet on me, so I thought I'd give you a new one." But, no such event has occurred. Each time I go to pay for lap dances, I do so, by pulling out my wallet to pay for them. No dancer has yet recognized that my wallet is long-since past its "best if used by date." I'm about ready to go buy one myself.
  • GoVikings
    11 years ago
    Art, if you've had the same wallet for 48 years , it has to be in VERY bad condition. Which probably means you're a lot more likely to lose something important that the wallet contains- due to how old it is. Aren't you at least a little concerned about that? By the way, I have a Vikings wallet you guys :)
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I haven't owned a wallet in 20 or more years. The nail in the coffin was a scene from Donnie Brasco where Al Pacino's character tells Johnny Depp's character to lose the wallet-a wiseguy keeps his money in a billfold. Since then, I've followed Mr. Pacino's advice.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    "It's unlucky to be superstitious."
  • Lionshare
    11 years ago
    My superstition is that I have to announce that im going to the club on tuscl before I actually get out of my car. Or else I have a terrible time at said club.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    That's a cool ritual, Lionshare. Thank you for sharing.
  • Lionshare
    11 years ago
    Slick, prepare for 10 days of announcements because im going on a stripclub marathon. How many days can I club in a row starting on Wednesday. Stay tuned. Started a seperate thread for it.
  • likes2look
    11 years ago
    Art, I don't know if it is superstition or just a physical connection to the past. I have done a lot of camping and backpacking in my time. 8000+ miles of backpacking alone. Numerous Tents sleeping bags and backpacks have come and gone but I still have the spoon I started out with in the scouts. It is just a cheap piece of Japanese stainless steel but over 30 years it has been everywhere.. I know it is just an inanimate object but I would feel disconnected from my past without it. It has gotten to the point that when I fly somewhere for a trip I carry it with my carry on Reuther than risk it being lost with my checked bags. There it is, for what it is worth, I might just be nuts
  • carolynne
    11 years ago
    i have a huge dildo a friend gave me in high school as a joke. best gift i ever received.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I like to wear things out too but sometimes it is time to replace something. I might consider restoring the old wallet or preserving it somehow if it is that important to you and using a less sentimental wallet for temporary use whether that is a month or 15 years. I believe we are not even the same people any more after 20 years with our blood getting recycled every few months and other body parts getting modified with age. I say this and I'm still wearing the same old running/walking shoes from 12 years ago. The plastic on the inside has broken out into sharp pieces if you put your finger in the shoe in the wrong place.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion