tuscl

OT: Is Wall Street Still "Untouchable”?

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
In case you have nothing to do tonight, this documentary airs tonight (at least in my area) on PBS in their “Frontline” program.

Description of the documentary follows:

“… This fall will mark the five-year anniversary of Lehman Brothers filing for bankruptcy, sparking the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression. When the anniversary hits, many legal experts agree, any chance federal prosecutors will have had to hold Wall Street accountable will have come and gone with the passing of the statute of limitations.

So is Wall Street breathing a sigh of relief?

In The Untouchables, which re-airs tonight on FRONTLINE (check local listings), correspondent Martin Smith examines why not one major Wall Street executive has been prosecuted for fraud tied to the sale of bad mortgages.

Many of the same issues examined in the film will take center stage tomorrow during a hearing of a House Financial Services Subcommittee. Among the questions expected to come up is which outside experts the Justice Department consults with when considering whether to prosecute large financial institutions …”

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/…

12 comments

• dallas702
    11 years ago
    The "bail out(s)" were never about saving the people from the excesses of corporate greed. The real reasons had to do with Federal government power and control, covering up the federal laws that caused the "foreclosure crisis" (and letting Dodd, Frank and Slick Willie Clinton's CRA mods slide), and (of course) creating a lot of opportunities for "earmarks."

The truth is; "Wall Street" is not the Great Satan liberals want us to believe it is, big business is no more evil than any small time working stiff, and the media lies to us almost as often as Washington.
  • ilbbaicnl
    11 years ago
    No nice way of saying it. The more stupid old crackers who hurry up and die, the sooner the US will cease to be pillaged by greedy people who know how to mount one great hate mongering campaign after another.
  • gatorfan
    11 years ago
    Not untouchable but definitely protected by the most impenetrable walls and security system ever built. Only their own stupidity can bring them down. Next time USA won't be able to bail anything out.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    YES!
  • mmdv26
    11 years ago
    Overall untouchable. Greedy individuals still become over zealous and risk becoming Guido's next booty call.
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    Wall Street believes in the Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules.
  • goodsouthernboy
    11 years ago
    Really ilbbaicnl, we had to stoop to calling people "crackers"?
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Great topic Chulo but I agree with Bullwinkle, not enough time and space to go over. I'll watch it.
  • ilbbaicnl
    11 years ago
    What's your preferred respectful term GSB? For people who think, if the woman got pregnant, it wasn't really rape, for example?
  • goodsouthernboy
    11 years ago
    I'd go with delusional because it speaks to the person's intellect which is something they can change. At least that applies to them as a person. I'm not saying that you need to respect the people because respect needs to be earned and not freely given.

Then again, you and I could have different definitions of "cracker" which could be causing the confusion. In my section of the world, "cracker" is the equivalent of "honky" for whites or the "n-word" for blacks. Perhaps it has a different meaning in your context though.
  • ilbbaicnl
    11 years ago
    No I don't use cracker as a term for all whites (I'm "white" myself). I only use it for ignorant whites who pay lip service to individual freedom but then want to impose their version of Christianity on everyone, and even on Science.
  • goodsouthernboy
    11 years ago
    Damn those local contexts for causing confusion again...
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion