tuscl

What's Cool

jerikson40
New York
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:44 AM
Another thread got me thinking about this... Did it ever occur to you that those people who try to set trends of what's cool in our culture have an increasingly difficult or impossible job? I mean, think about it...there are only a fixed number of ways a human being can dress. And there are only a limited number of possible ways to write a song that people will enjoy. And only a limited number of possible ways a person can dance. And on and on.... And when you think about it, isn't most of the cool stuff in our culture just re-treads of stuff that was cool decades ago? And if it's not a re-tread that's probably because it's kinda stupid in the first place. Which means that cool stuff is getting less and less cool, and trendsetters are now scraping the bottom of the barrel in new fashion, music, art, etc., trends, unless they can copy something done already. So rappers, instead of writing their own music, just sample a really good song written in the 70's and mix it with some of their useless shit and call it good. And fashion designers take fashions that stopped being cool decades ago and decide that today they're cool again. And look at automobiles. Geezus, the crap that passes for automobile design nowadays is embarrassing. Where are all the cool car designs from the 70's? Now every car looks like the next. And some freaking Korean dude decides that the shark-skin suits and narrow ties and dark shades worn by 1950's lounge singers is now cool again. I dunno...I think we're fucked.

27 comments

• tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Related to Aluinjail.
  • zipman68
    11 years ago
    Personally, I'm hoping for a return to the fashions popular during the reign of Louis XIV. Plus, everybody should use the word "shizzle". Show some creativity folks. Go forth dressed like le Roi Soleil saying all sorts of KA-ray-ZEE AZZ shizzle. I bet Juice would be down for that. I can see it now...300 lb coo-el dude walkin' into KFC ordering le poulet XXXtra croustillant wearing some sort of super groovy outfit. Don't get cooler than that! We ain't fucked jeri-dude...not if we follow my simple prescription!
  • zipman68
    11 years ago
    And hot women should be encouraged to show skin. Maybe thongs and shizzle like that. Uggos can wear moo-moos.
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    I don't see what the point of this post is. I stopped trying to be cool at least 10 years ago and I'm not going to try to start up any time soon. We all grow older. If the kids of today want to dress like they did years ago, let them.
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    "Did it ever occur to you that those people who try to set trends of what's cool in our culture have an increasingly difficult or impossible job?" No.
  • sclvr5005
    11 years ago
    Deep thoughts. Not.
  • Tiredtraveler
    11 years ago
    Gangham needs to go fuck a wasp nest then crawl back under whatever rock he they found him under.
  • MojoDojo
    11 years ago
    So if I understand the OP correctly the finite number of original ideas means that all new ideas are just rehashed old ideas unless they're stupid in which case they might be new ideas but regardless nothing is cool unless the jerikson thinks it is. Hmmmm sounds to me like a tired old rehashed sentiment espoused by a tired old PL who needs to take his iron tablets and get off his high horse.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Cool people don't try to act cool, they just are. If you really are cool, it will show. Besides, whatever happened to being yourself?
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I guess what is silly, frustrating, dumb...whatever adjective you want to use - is that when everyone tries to be "cool", then the originality is lost. I think we touched upon this in the discussion about tattoos. Since the late 80's every suburban white kid tries to emulate the "cool" black rappers. So even in year 2013 you have a bunch of pants on the ground, sideways cap, long shirted white kids coming into the club and trying to be THE MAN. yeah, that look was cool 20 years ago. Now everyone dresses like that and has an inked up arm and neck. How about some originality?????
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I'm with Motorhead here. I don't understand why suburban white kids would wanna emulate rappers when they options within your own culture. If you actually have an appreciation for hip-hop, cool. But why front and act like something you're not? I remember being a kid and watching the Hells Angels ride up PCH and think, those are some cool, bad ass dudes. I thought the Dukes of Hazard were some cool ass Rednecks. Maybe suburban white kids look down upon Rednecks and would rather emulate black kids. Who knows. I'm Latin and as a kid I wanted to be Bruce Lee. He's fuck up that Psy character, Chinese Connection style.
  • staxwell
    11 years ago
    You're so cool, jeri!
  • jabthehut
    11 years ago
    I concur with Motor and Slick. Pussies are all basicly the same since forever, yet each one is cool AND they don't have to try.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    My latest t-shirt states "Vaginas are super cool".
  • jerikson40
    11 years ago
    Ahh, okay, I almost forgot... I just called Mojo/Mondo/whatever a complete fucking asshole for doing something that was clearly something that only a complete fucking asshole would do, so now HE can be added to the list of forum members who will hate me until the end of time and attack everything I post. But I don't recall what I said to sclvr, but it must have hurt him deeply cuz it seems like he's on the list too. And George...well...he's just George.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    "What's Cool" Certainly NOT you jerikson40!! LMAO So I guess you are FUCKED jerikson40, I hope it is by someone you want to be fucked by. LOL
  • sclvr5005
    11 years ago
    you never "hurt me deeply". I'm just tired of your constant bitching about everything. You are the poster boy of the very people you complain about and it gets old. Jesus if I wanted to hear someone whine and complain constantly I'd call my ex wife.
  • jerikson40
    11 years ago
    Okay, sclvr, you're right....I guess because I use too many capital letters and put too much energy into my posts everything thinks I'm really complaining. I'm just trying to bring up stuff to discuss, but I guess everyone takes it as a complaint and gets all "sad face" and stuff. I've decided to change my attitude when I post...from now on, I'll be sweet and lovable, okay? And hey, I think someone just farted !!!! (How's that, better?)
  • endlesstempo
    11 years ago
    I haven't read all of the drama, but I disagree with this statement: "I mean, think about it...there are only a fixed number of ways a human being can dress. And there are only a limited number of possible ways to write a song that people will enjoy. And only a limited number of possible ways a person can dance. " Clothing design is always changing. Things come, things go, things get added, things get taken away, tweaked, adjusted, modified, etc. Same for music and dance. The statement you just made is virtually akin to saying, "there are only so many ways to arrange colors on a canvas, so eventually we will have seen all the paintings there are to see." That reasoning is fundamentally flawed.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    ^ thanks endless – you just added to the “drama” :)
  • jerikson40
    11 years ago
    I agree endless... After reconsidering, I'm now convinced my entire argument was flawed. Look, we live in a beautiful and ever changing world, and there's so much inventiveness and new things coming out every day. In fact, I think we're just at the beginning of an explosion in new and wonderful cool trends in fashion and music and art and films and EVERYTHING !!! Yeah, I was wrong...but know I've seen the light. Thanks guys. I love you guys.
  • MojoDojo
    11 years ago
    Hmmmm, so yes you called me a complete fucking asshole and I don't deny you the right to your opinion. Did you read my response to your post? Of course not and how do I know this? Quite simply because I didn't respond to your comments. I can see that someone could perceive my actions the way you did and I bear you no ill will on that point. Live and let live I say. No flag, no foul. That doesn't mean I agree with you and in the case of your premise here I believe that it is flawed and I said so. More specifically my response was aimed at you for the very same reasons that sclvr mentions, namely that of late you are a whiney bitch of a person at least on this board obviously I have no idea about your life away from the TUSCLverse. So while I take no offense to your comments on my post and chose to call you out on this one the two are actually unrelated. Furthermore I don't hate you or anything else you and I certainly will not be stalking your posts and looking for opportunities to flame your thoughts and ideas but take a good look in the mirror and give yourself some afirmations because if you're worried about making enemies here start by being nicer to yourself and stop the nasty tirades that infurate folks. That's it I wont comment on this subject anymore....OAO
  • gatorfan
    11 years ago
    Good is my dick in a hot strippers mouth.
  • staxwell
    11 years ago
    This is seriously one of the deeper topics we've had in a while. I don't see what the problem is. It's good that we can come here and discuss things like the latest trends in fashion & dance, and the behavior of gay men. Now THAT'S cool !!!!
  • duomaxwell
    11 years ago
    You're fucked, everyone else is cool.
  • MojoDojo
    11 years ago
    Careful Ms Duo you're gonna hurt his feelings and then he'll call you bad names...
  • jerikson40
    11 years ago
    Wow, and I thought that was a fairly tame topic, and even slightly insightful, with no chance it would upset anyone...but in spite of that you guys get all pissy?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion