tuscl

Congrats to MIami, ACC Champions!

Sunday, March 17, 2013 12:15 PM
I was rooting for them today. It was even nicer watching NC lose. I went to one of the rival schools. It's always fun to root for the other team when they win. I think they deserve a #1 seed.

20 comments

• motorhead
    11 years ago
    Nice to see a school not named Duke or North Carolina win the ACC.
  • xedin5436
    11 years ago
    Who would you have them replace as a #1 (based on Lunardi's bracket at ESPN)? I'd guess Indiana, but even Louiville and KU have had their lackluster moments this year. I'm also a non-North Carolina ACC alum, and it is nice to get a break from UNC and Duke.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Probably won't happen but I think Gonzaga should be out. They play in a very weak conference. When they went out of their conference they got beat by Illinois and Butler. Indiana, while they lost more games than the Zags won the Big 10 regular season - a conference that has 4 teams in the Top 10
  • xedin5436
    11 years ago
    Ah, but that sword is double-edged. The ACC was a pretty weak conference this year, so I can't see giving Miami the edge over Gonzaga on that. Also, they came down a bit in their last 12 regular season from the high they were riding earlier. But yeah, Gonzaga's only got two or three "good wins". Luckily their only two losses were to teams ranked #13 at the time, although both games were blowouts.
  • xedin5436
    11 years ago
    For instance, Miami lost to Georgia Tech *at home* which is kind of WTF level. Road games in the ACC are always tough, so you can sort of overlook the loss to Wake, but if you're pushing for a #1 seed, you don't want to lose by 15 to the 3rd worst team in your conference.
  • xedin5436
    11 years ago
    I wouldn't be surprised if the did get a #1 though. There was a high level of parity this year.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    Fucking Miami... Can't say I didn't expect it but still wanted my Tarheels to pull it out. Ready for the tournament just wish I was in Vegas so I could lay some bets.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I think the committee mostly got it right this year. Mildly surprised Miami got a #2 after winning the ACC, but somebody had to be out and IU deserved a #1
  • xedin5436
    11 years ago
    I think if you take away either of those losses I mentioned, the U is a #1 without a problem. Winning the ACC just wasn't that huge of an accomplishment this year. Next year will be interesting when Pitt, ND and Syracuse come in. I'm not sure of the exact schedule on that though.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    The ACC wasn't the best it's ever been, but it was no cake walk. They've got four teams in who all have the potential to win it all, yes even State and UNC if they play to their full potential. It was a helluva lot tougher than Gonzaga: congrats you beat Loyola 3 times! I thought it should have been Miami but by no means was it an easy call.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    Let's talk hockey.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    Is that the thing with the brooms?
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    Or curling...... Either is more exciting than basketball where nothing happens until the last 30 seconds of the game, 30 seconds which can take an hour to complete.
  • JuiceBox69
    11 years ago
    Goooooo huskiess !!!!!
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    Basketball is non-stop action, especially at the college level. The last 30 seconds can take awhile, but that's usually a last ditch effort to cause an upset. I'll take it over hockey any day.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Art, If you have only watched the NBA - a team in Toronto and there used to be one a team in Vancouver - then I can understand your lack of interest in basketball. I hate the NBA. No interest whatsoever. College basketball is entirely different. It's really my favorite sport.
  • xedin5436
    11 years ago
    Seconding motorhead on the distinction between the NBA and college. I have no idea why it works that way, but I love watching college ball and this is my favorite sports time of the year. Couldn't care less about an NBA game. I think part of it is that the season's shorter - college teams play fewer than half the games that NBA ones do, so the games all matter more. I also feel like the two 20 minute halves instead of four quarters has something to do with it. Then there's the tournament. If I don't have a team in the tournament, I root for total chaos.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I agree. The long season in the NBA somehow changes the game. Each game doesn't mean as much. I just love college basketball and the possibility of upsets you rarely get in other sports.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    Well said, the NBA is near un-watchable.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    I really like watching basketball and used to enjoy playing it periodically. I used to really really love college basketball but I think it has become watered down with first H.S. players going straight to the NBA and now many top players leaving after just one year. It is hard to build a powerhouse now a days. Rick Pitino of Louisville had a good way of looking at it IMO – let the players that can play in the NBA go straight from H.S. – but if they choose to go to college, they must stay at least 3 years a la what they do in football. W.r.t. the NBA.; the regular season has usually being boring IMO but I’ll take the NBA playoffs over the college tourney although I do love March madness.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion