tuscl

Cameras in Private Rooms

Friday, January 11, 2013 9:39 PM
So what is the true reason that some clubs have cameras in private rooms? I realize that it's useful for security in case something bad happens there, but are they mandated by law to have this?

I recently visited a club which has no cameras in the rooms, and this certainly increased the willingness of [at least some] girls to give better mileage compared to other clubs in the area (which do have cameras).

It's my understanding that if there's really no camera in the room, you can probably get as good mileage as your money can buy, provided you find a girl who is willing. This is pretty cool, and so far I've only seen one club that legitimately has no cameras.

29 comments

• gsv
    12 years ago
    As I realize I may have misused the term, by 'better' mileage I'm really saying extras.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    Other than security the only other reason to have cameras in private rooms is to discourage extras from happening. My two favorite clubs do not have them.

I get a giggle when a dancer in either of these two clubs tells me she can't do that because of the cameras. I know better. One & done!
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Not sure, but some of the local Deja Vu clubs are just psycho nuts with the amount of cameras they have.

Why? Can only guess. I would imagine it's to help resolve disputes if a girl claims the customer didn't pay and customer says he did, or if a customer accuses a girl of stealing. Another possible reason might be to discourage extras in the first place, or if a girl gets ratted out confirm the accusations.

Beyond that, I think it's the whole control thing that club owners/management seem to have going.
  • gsv
    12 years ago
    Sounds like I need to travel more often then. :)
  • rh48hr
    12 years ago
    I have been in rooms with and without cameras. Some are more well hidden than others. Was in one place where it didn't look like there were any cameras, but I was told by a regular that they were well hidden in the speakers.
  • staxwell
    12 years ago
    Voyeurism?

I don't think many people took the camera in the VIP at Crazy Horse in ATL too seriously. Then they ended up on the news for lewd conduct.
  • DandyDan
    12 years ago
    I know at two of my regular clubs, it's to prevent extras from happening, and they do enforce that rule at the one club, and the other has a tendency to have cops just randomly show up in uniform. As for my favorite club, I think it's just for appearance's sake.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    If they are closed-circuit without recording they are mainly for security and maybe to prevent extras. If they are recording they are for legal purposes.

If they're in the room they should probably be obvious, they gain very little by hiding them.
  • gsv
    12 years ago
    But do any states actually require the clubs to have cameras in the rooms, or is it purely the clubs' choice?
  • mmdv26
    12 years ago
    More likely to be a local requirement. Local LE is always looking for ways to minimize sex and drug transactions in the club, and if the the club has bed rooms they might require video monitoring similar to what many clubs have in VIP. Local ordinance usually provides for the inclusion of video monitoring if conditions warrant its use. I have been to clubs where I think video (and the monitoring of it) is somewhat negotiable in the scheme of "managing" the club.
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    Cameras? We don't need no stinking cameras!
  • cnyknight
    12 years ago
    liability ... if le comes busting in and tries to shut the club down its proof nothing illegal is going on when it goes to court.

pa is doing this a lot lately trying to close strip clubs and other establishments down as nusance bars

when it comes to court the owners can say the dancers were doing things dispite rules, cameras, etc. where if the dont have cameras then all they can say is they told the girls it was against the rules but didnt know it was going on

also keeps dancers staff bartenders honest

im sure every club that does has its on reasons ... most that we list will be true somewhere or another
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    1984 is here.
  • Dolfan
    12 years ago
    A couple of clubs use them to count dances, rather than having a bouncer doing it. For example at Scarlets it would take 3-4 bouncers wandering around the dance areas to keep an accurate count, but with the cameras one dude can do it. The dancers there seem to like them too, since it does give them the "I can't, the cameras..." excuse.

I think the liability thing cuts both ways when they have cameras, if something does happen in there its harder to say you didn't know.
  • SuperDude
    12 years ago
    Blackmailing politicians and public officials. "We've got you on camera, so leave us alone."
  • canny
    12 years ago
    They're not mandated by law, but most clubs have them. The owners pay for them to protect themselves, otherwise they wouldn't waste the money. My guess is that the biggest reason to have them is so that when customers cause problems the clubs can turn the video over to the police when the police show up to arrest the customer. Preventing extras and keeping employees from stealing are the other two reasons.
  • rl27
    12 years ago
    As others have said it's varied. I have been in clubs where the main reason was to make sure the dancers weren't cheating out the clubs on the number of dances, and in clubs where the management uses them to limit extras.

I wouldn't worry about whether the cameras effect the quality of the dance. In most cases the cameras make little difference on how good the dances are, or if extras are offered. I have had many dancers use the excuse "you can't do that, the club is watching," often pointing out the camera to me, when I know for a fact that the club doesn't care, because I have gotten a lot of good dances there before, often from the dancer right before her.

• deogol
    12 years ago
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    It is occasionally possible that the club is under some sort requirement from a requirement on its conditional use permit or a court settlement to install cameras.

Usually it is done so the club has evidence if somebody gets violent with a dancer or to settle disputes with a dancer.

But more than everything else combined it is not the recording feature that they are interested in but the ability to have eyes all over the place without being as intrusive as waling and peeking in rooms.
  • jerikson40
    12 years ago
    Excellent question. And I really have no clue what the right answer is. A lot of reasons make sense, but I guess only the club owners know the real reasons.

If they're doing it for self protection, to prove to a court nothing was going on, then that's a two edged sword. It can also prove that lots of naughtiness WAS going on.

As a preventive measure makes the most sense to me, at least. But then again all you don't really even need a camera system, you can just put up cheap lens-looking things and tell everyone it's a high tech camera system monitored by a team of FBI experts via direct link from Langley, Virginia.

Now can a local law or LE or court actually REQUIRE that you spend money to install a camera system? I dunno...sounds kind of problematic. I suppose if they can force you install fire extinguishers then a camera system might sound reasonable. But then you also have to hire someone as a real-time monitor, to watch it all day and night? I dunno, seems like a stretch. Maybe if you're just recording, but still that's a pretty expensive system.

So does anyone know the REAL answer, or are these all suppositions?
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    From a customer's POV, it really doesn't make any difference. Either the dancer is going to engage in Xtras or she isn't. The presence of a camera doesn't IME make a difference. Have often received Xtras and not received Xtras in clubs with known cameras. Is PURELY the dancer's choice!
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    Have you asked the club why they have cameras? That would seem to be a better way to answer this question.
  • samsung1
    12 years ago
    cameras can also be used to the customer's advantage for bringing up the topic of OTC. "I would love to go to the VIP with you but there are too many creepy cameras watching us and I would rather us go back to my hotel room without cameras watching us"
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    george - What makes you think club management would give you a straight answer?
  • IfIGottaBeDamned
    12 years ago
    One of my favorite clubs has some restrictive rules for lap dances and has cameras in the LD area. If a dancer goes too far, the manager or DJ will flash a light above the dancer as a warning. More than one or two flashes will result in a fine against the dancer.

Also, a former stripclub manager wrote a very informative blog article on this topic:

http://stripclubhound.blogspot.com/2011/…
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    @shadowcat, Because, with the exception of someone with nefarious purposes in mind, I can't see anyone bothering to lie about it. If it's for liability protection, or because they're legally required to, there's no point to lying.
  • Corvus
    12 years ago
    I was OTC with one of my current favorites last week and the topic of extras at her club came up. She mentioned that I (me, not her) got in trouble a while back for sucking on her nipples in the VIP room. When I questioned her on it, she said management was reviewing camera footage and talked it to her the next day.

I found it odd that she said I was the one who was in trouble and not her? I have no doubt she would have told me if she had gotten in trouble. She would have asked for money to cover any fine and she would have mentioned anything specific as she had been bitching about her crappy manager for way too long already at that point.

So at least at one club they take the time to review the film. This particular club is nude, no alcohol, and has a tenuous relationship with city leaders trying to stay open.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    george - I can't feature a manager telling me that it is to eliminate any sort of extras from going on. That would tell me not to waste my time/money in a private room and might make me leave and go elsewhere.
  • gsv
    12 years ago
    Corvus, very interesting. Usually it is the dancer who gets in trouble for "letting" the customer do things like that as well, so that's odd.

I also agree with shadowcat. I could ask management, and they might give a legit answer, but if the reason is to prevent extras, I doubt they'll admit that. They'll probably say something generic like "security reasons"
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion