tuscl

Iowa court OKs firing of female dental assistant for being too 'irresistibly att

The bombshell ruling came after Melissa Nelson, 32, sued her boss of 10 years, Dr. James Knight, for gender discrimination

Dental assistant Melissa Nelson was fired by her boss of 10 years because he felt her presence was a threat to his marriage.
Horndog bosses in Iowa have a new tool to save their marriages — they can fire employees who are too hot for the workplace.

The state's all-male Supreme Court ruled 7-0 Friday that an Iowa City dentist legally canned his female assistant because she was “irresistibly attractive” and a threat to his marriage.

The bombshell ruling came after Melissa Nelson sued her boss of 10 years, Dr. James Knight, for discrimination.

The married mother claims she was fired in January 2010 after Knight's wife became jealous of the pair's relationship, which included harmless text messages between them outside of work.

“I don't think it's fair. I don't think it's right,” Nelson said on CNN Saturday night. The 32-year-old also said she was stunned to be fired.

“I worked hard, enjoyed my job, and one day it just came to a screeching halt.”

Knight, 53, admitted Nelson was a great worker, but he complained her tight clothing was too much of a distraction.

He even once told Nelson that if his pants were bulging, she would know her outfits were too revealing, the lawsuit said. And he quipped about her irregular sex life, saying it was “like having a Lamborghini in the garage and never driving it.”

The dentist consulted with a local pastor, terminated Nelson and gave her one month's severance. Knight later admitted to Nelson's husband that he feared he would eventually try to start an affair.

“These judges sent a message to Iowa women that they don't think men can be held responsible for their sexual desires,” Nelson's attorney, Paige Fiedler, told the Associated Press. “If (the bosses) get out of hand, then the women can be legally fired for it.”

Nelson said she wouldn't have been fired if she were a man. In the Saturday interview, she said her work attire was hardly revealing.

“I wore a long-sleeve or short-sleeve T-shirt and I wore scrubs,” Nelson said, adding that she's “happily married.”

After the ruling from one of but a few testosterone-only panels in the nation, Justice Edward Mansfield wrote that allowing the suit would have stretched the definition of gender discrimination.

Knight's lawyer, Stuart Cochrane, said the ruling is a home-run for family values.

“While there was really no fault on the part of Mrs. Nelson, it was just as clear the decision to terminate her was not related to the fact that she was a woman,” he told the AP. “The motives behind Dr. Knight terminating Mrs. Nelson were quite clear: He did so to preserve his marriage.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national…

21 comments

• georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    “These judges sent a message to Iowa women that they don’t think men can be held responsible for their sexual desires,”

Uh, he *was* taking responsibility, by removing the temptation. Dipshit.

All employers have the *right* to hire and fire as they please, for any reason they please, or no reason at all. Under some circumstances, what they don't have is the legal *authority* to do so because some localities, as well as state and federal government, routinely violate that right.

Kudos to the court for upholding employer's rights for a change, though the decision will likely be overturned by a higher court, one unconcerned with individual liberty.

He says as he dons his flame retardant suit.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    I'm hiring. She can work under me anytime.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    If it had been you fired gmd, you might perhaps be speaking out of the other side of your mouth.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    No, Alucard, actually I wouldn't, and having been in the position of being "unfairly" (not my description) fired, haven't. My opinions in the matter are based on principle, not expediency.
  • rh48hr
    12 years ago
    I think the issue for me is she worked for him for 10 years. Why now? He wasn't attracted to her when she was 22? or 25? or 28? I think the wife made him do it. I think her mistake was to sue for discrimination. She definitely has a sexual harassment suit she could win. (He even once told Nelson that if his pants were bulging, she would know her outfits were too revealing, the lawsuit said. And he quipped about her irregular sex life, saying it was “like having a Lamborghini in the garage and never driving it.”)
  • carolynne
    12 years ago
    reminds me of the afghan goat hearder who was punished by the taliban for not putting diapers on his goats in order to reduce their sexual attractiveness... i'm not kidding, either.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    I read about this the other day and personally I feel like we're missing part of the story. They were apparently texting each other and who knows what else.
  • mikeya02
    12 years ago
    @gmd, if employers can fire someone for any reason, why did this go to court? If anything, his perv comments to her, and his stupid reason for letting her go , sure sounds like sexual harassment to me. Probably more to this story, though.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    @mikey: I suggest you research the difference between a "right" to do something and the "legal authority" or ability to do that thing. Pay special attention to the principles set forth in the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. I think that'll clear up your confusion.
  • mikeya02
    12 years ago
    @gmd: No need. "Legal authority" makes more sense.
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    How about if she was fired for being too unattractive – would the courts have OKed it then – perhaps a double standard?
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    This story reminds me of a very very good looking 20-something blonde dental hygienist I had while I lived in Dallas a few years ago.

I remember how she would press her nice full boob (she actually had two of them :)) against me while she was reaching into my mouth – the things that would go thru my mind while I was sitting in the chair for the 20 or 30 minutes.
  • azdd
    12 years ago
    Body by Fisher, brains by Mattell....last I checked being hot is not a protected class under federal law, or any state law I'm aware of. In other words, it's not illegal to fire someone for being hot. She might have a more legitimate discrimination claim if she can demonstrate that the sexual banter created a hostile work environment, AND that she was fired because of that, or in exchange for her not making a complaint to the EEOC or other local FEPA. The story makes great copy, but I think the law is on his side unless there are other facts that have not been made public.
  • SuperDude
    12 years ago
    Text of opinion from the Iowa Supreme Court.
    http://www.iowacourts.gov/Supreme_Court/…
  • SuperDude
    12 years ago
    If you read the full text of the opinion (yea, not everyone finds reading law fun) you will see that Dr. Knight took his kids to Colorado on a trip. His wife, who works in the office, stayed behind. Dr. Knight texted Melissa Nelson while he was on the road and Mrs. Knight found out about it. He admitted when he fired her that if she worked at the office any longer, his flirtations would lead to an affair. DUDE--your wife is working in the office.
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    I saw the girl and she wasn't all that irrestitibly hot.
  • DandyDan
    12 years ago
    Having done a fair share of strip clubbing in Iowa, I find it hard to believe any girl in Iowa, no matter their occupation, can be “irresistibly attractive”. Hell, just going to regular bars there can be torture if you are looking for the “irresistibly attractive”.
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    I've seen different pictures, so not sure which is the real one.
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    Perhaps she is hot by “Iowa standards”.

Plus, when a guy has been tied down to the same pussy for a long time (i.e. wifey), especially if it’s pussy he may not necessarily be too crazy about; maybe any other puss, especially one he “sees” on a regular basis, may seem tempting?
  • crazyjoe
    12 years ago
    Iowa stands for

Idiots
    Out
    Walking
    Around
  • carolynne
    12 years ago
    you can't judge hotness from a pic... i'm surprised at you guys
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?