tuscl

OT: Gotta Love Cali

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Californian's $609,000 Check Shows True Retirement Cost

When psychiatrist Gertrudis Agcaoili retired last year from a state mental hospital in Napa, California, she took with her a $608,821 check for unused leave banked in a career that spanned three decades.

She wasn't alone. More than 111,000 people who left jobs as employees of the 12 most populous U.S. states collected $711 million last year for unused vacation and other paid time off, according to payroll data on 1.4 million public workers compiled by Bloomberg.

California employees accounted for 39 percent of that total. Since 2005, the state's workers collected $1.4 billion for accumulated leave, calculated at their last pay rate, regardless of when the time was accrued. New Jersey Governor Chris Christie calls such payments “boat checks” because they can be large enough to buy yachts.

….

There is more to the article but it is a bit long:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-14…

16 comments

• jackslash
    12 years ago
    Who's worse? Employees that game the system and walk away with huge payouts or CEO's that ruin their companies and walk away with huge golden parachutes?
  • jerikson40
    12 years ago
    Hold on...

Gaming the system? WTF?

Many companies, public AND private, offer benefits to employees. Big benefits. Paid time off. Paid sick time. Stock. Health care. And the list goes on and on. When you sign up with a company, you get the benefits. And part of the benefits can include severance pay for unused sick time and unused vacation. What the fuck is wrong with that? The company benefits if you don't use the vacation or sick leave they allow, because you're being paid to work those days instead of getting paid to be sick or be on vacation. Just because you don't use the benefit, what, you should lose it? Are you fucking serious?

I work in a private company, and I'm gonna get a shitload of unused vacation and sick leave pay when and if I retire. A lot of people do. And we get a deal on stock. And we get a whole bunch of other stuff. It's what those f-ing union a-holes have been fighting for for many decades for the blue collar guys, but apparently it's good for them but not the white collar guys?

Geezus, sometimes I think this forum is occupied by a bunch of drugged out, incoherent morons.
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    I've never worked at a place that lets you accumulate unlimited vacation time. It's usually limited to the amount accrued in one year or less. Some places even require you to take vacation whether you want to or not. That's so if you're running some scam that requires constant attention, it will be discovered when you're not there.

I also really don't understand people who never take vacation. The two to four weeks we get is pitiful. I love my job but I don't want to be there every single day of every week for 20 years.

I mostly agree with Jerikson. But if you start out in the mail room at minimum wage, and bank two weeks of vacation, should you get paid $200 an hour for those two weeks when you retire 25 years later as a vice president?
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Good for her.
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    Jerikson: "Geezus, sometimes I think this forum is occupied by a bunch of drugged out, incoherent morons."

I resent this statement. I'm not drugged out.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    Ermita makes the best point: But if you start out in the mail room at minimum wage, and bank two weeks of vacation, should you get paid $200 an hour for those two weeks when you retire 25 years later as a vice president.

There are a lot better systems of dealing with accumulated leave than this one. Though I certainly don't think this person did anything wrong. The issue is how California has run itself.
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    Lol
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    This is the system there. If the majority don't like it, the system may get changed. Until that point, use what is there.
  • lopaw
    12 years ago
    The public sector pensions here (along w/ labor unions in general) need complete reform & overhaul. Good luck to us with that union ass-kisser Jerry Brown running our state into the dirt. Meh.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    Use the ballot box.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    I think California's bank accounts are going to have more to say about it than California voters... real soon too.
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    No drac baby its the juice box
  • Tiredtraveler
    12 years ago
    Public employees should be made to pay into their retirement like the rest of us and all politicians and gov't bureaucrats should be not be allowed any pensions until 67 with no holiday accruement of days off, use it or lose it like the rest of us. The government is the only place where you make more money, have more holidays, get more vacation time, retire earlier and work 1/2 as hard as the rest of the population. Government politicians and workers are or employees and should be treated as such and we should require them to treat us with respect. Once a politician leaves office they become Mr. or Ms.. They are not royalty and I will not defer anything to them. Presidents like everyone else needs to find a job. Pension starts at 67 PERIOD. Bushs need to find a job as does Clinton and Carter.
    Remember the last time the horror in the media when the government "shut down" no one noticed except the media and the world was a better place. Government emploment was always the bastion of the lazy and they were paid accordingly becuase what take in private industry 2 people takes 4 in the public sector plus a supervisor and secretary. The private industry people used to compensated fortheir hard work but now they are called evil by the government for investing if their own ablilty that now pay 25% higher wages that the private sector.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    There is a new class rising - the government class, and watch out - they have power of the gun to enforce their gluttony.
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    Lol....^^^^
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    Tiredtraveler perhaps you could have, should have pursued a job/career that has the benefits you object to.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion