tuscl

R. I. P.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 10:07 AM
In another thread, Shotdisc described a favorite club that no longer exists. Who else has such a favorite? Mine was Pirate's Den in Key West, which is the first place I ever encountered lap dances, and in retrospect was my idea of everything a club should be - probably the only 10 club I've ever visited. And I was too new at this to realize it at the time. I think it's the only place I've ever been that had a full bar and totally nude LDs in private booths. Which is probably why it no longer exists - you have to try real hard to get shut down in Key West. It also had very attractive young girls and a real party atmosphere like Brad's. That was about 10 years ago. Anyone else remember it? Got your own old favorite?

15 comments

• FONDL
    18 years ago
    R.I.P. stands for Rest In Peace, which is commonly seen on tombstones, at least in comic strips.
  • chasman
    18 years ago
    I can't say it was a "favorite" per se, but I spent a lot of time at the Marble Arch here in Vancouver in my youth. It was the first strip club I ever went to and I still throw up the devil's horns at the appropriate verse whenever they pay the Crue's "Girls, Girls Girls" in any other strip club. I draw some weird looks when I do that too.
  • FunSeeker
    18 years ago
    What does R. I. P. stand for? Rip-off?
  • DandyDan
    18 years ago
    The Twin Cities area used to have this place called Jake's. It was straight south of St. Paul on 52 going towards Rochester. I went there a couple times when I had friends in the area and it was fun. A couple months after my last visit there, my friend told me it closed up. My first ever OTC experience came after an encounter with a dancer at the Only Chance Saloon on West Dodge Road west of Omaha. They closed up when the state decided to build an exit ramp there. Of course, the club should have been closed up long before it did, but I did have my first OTC experience because of it. All other clubs I have been to that have since closed deserved to close up.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    Mention of clubs burning down reminds me of the notorious Red Garter in Brooklyn, Illinois, next to East St. Louis. That's notorious even by ESL standards, which is really saying something. My only experience there was almost 10 years ago, in the spring of 1996, when literally seconds after entering I was greeted by the sight of a stripper's head bobbing up and down on the lap of a guy seated at one of the stages. I didn't partake of her services but that left plenty of other raunchy delights to choose from. The place burned down the following winter.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    Another place that I remember fondly closed a very long time ago, like 30 years, when the building was torn down to make room for a new office building. It was in DC on 14th St. between K and L and wasn't strictly a strip joint as there were no stages or dancers. It was more of a cocktail lounge where all the waitresses and bartenders (all female) wore skimpy nighties with nothing underneath. A very classy place and a great place to sit and have a couple drinks. There also used to be a pretty decent strip joint on Eye Street (I street becomes Eye Street in the vicinity of the White House) around 18th or 19th but the building was torn down about 10 years ago and became a parking lot. I think they may have had a fire, it was a really old building in bad condition. That was probably my favorite DC club, which isn't saying much. Anyone remember what it was called? There was also a really sleezy club that showed XXX movies on the wall behind the dancers on 12th or 13th street south of K as I recall, but that's been gone a long time. When I moved into my house about 30 years ago there were two nearby local neighborhood bars that sometimes had dancers. Both became upscale restaurants as the area became more upscale. Economics was the main cause as it usually is.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    The stripper who I flipped over on my first visit to the Tanga was gone the next time I came to Tampa, but her photo was still featured in their poster. When I asked about her they said she had gone to ther Key West sister club. I think that was Teaser's.
  • ShotDisc
    18 years ago
    I am glad I was the insiration for this one. I have a few more RIP's Jerry's Cabaret in Theordore AL (outside Mobile) a true redneck titty bar. Received my first unsolicited BBBJ at Jerry's. The Barn- outside Middletown NY. Was a regular here almost 20 yrs ago. The Hitching Post- near Passaic NJ. A neighborhood go-go bar that had a great lunch buffet. In college I was part of a group of guys that was told we were welcome to visit anytime but lunch since we ate so much The Lamplighter(?)-Monsey NY A dive nudie bar where I saw a dancer bury a key ring full of keys in her kitty.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    JC. after Pirate's Den closed, Teasers was my favorite club in the US. That's where I met my #2 ATF. Great place. Is the place next door to Teaser's still open? Have you been to the new Teaser's on Duval? I haven't. Minnow, as I recall someone telling me, Pirate's Den opened and closed several times before it's final demise. When I was there around 1995, it was fully nude and had some really great looking girls giving very intimate dances in total privacy. The next year I was in town it was closed. Last time I was in KW the place was still there with a Pirate's Den sign but it didn't ever seem to be open. I wonder what happened.
  • Clubber
    18 years ago
    FONDL, The Pirate's Den was a good place. Didn't know anyone else would remember it. Not like it was on the main drag. There used to be another in Key West that was right beside or very close to the police station. It, too, is gone. My favorite, no longer with us, Lipstick in South Miami.
  • minnow
    18 years ago
    Tanga Lounge(Tampa), Bottoms Up(Ft.Lauderdale/Oakland Park area). FONDL: Went to Pirates Den a time or 2 in late 80's. Wasn't impressed, was topless at the time(at least the chairside dances, and they were AIR. Only attractive dancer in the place came from Mons Venus, best referral in SC scene I've had!
  • hugevladfan
    18 years ago
    There was a place called Divas in Las Vegas. A very well-kept secret that almost no one went to. There was a Bulgarian dancer there whom I enjoyed seeing and still think about every so often. I think she was the first girl I ever went to a VIP room with and she was a blast. Seamless stands there now.
  • komey1970
    18 years ago
    One place that I liked that didn't last overlong was the Gentlemen's Park Place. It was the only all-nude club in the city. The private dance areas were not very private in that they were basically behind changing walls. It was a no alcohol club, though, and that is part of why it didn't last. The other reason I think it didn't last is that it was not in a great neighborhood (not a bad one either, though). That was a couple years ago. Interestingly, a dancer at my new favorite club (topless) worked there. She recognized me from there, but I didn't recognize her as she changed her look from what I remember. She has since stopped dancing there. My guess she was caught showing more than she was allowed (I know she would do that with me - especially that first night I saw her).
  • JC2003
    18 years ago
    Teasers in Key West.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    That's funny, FONDL, I almost started a thread like this a few times recently. The first club that comes to mind for me... Fantasia - Richmond Hill, Ontario, north suburb of Toronto. Closed since 1998 or '99. In it's day, under one roof it put everthing Niagara Falls is known for to shame. Honorable Mention: Chez Paree, San Francisco, HQ for SF's large ASSC contingent, Tanga Lounge - Tampa, Dizzy Duck - Detroit & one I never made it to, Harmony Theatre in NYC, successor to the old Melody Theatre, bithplace of lapdancing.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion