tuscl

Tragedy.

Friday, December 14, 2012 12:25 PM
[view link] Just sad. When will it end? What kind of effects might something like this have on these kids in the future? Is this really just gonna keep happening? It's hard to watch this stuff, but as a 24 year old who plans to have kids in the future, this is something I have to think about. I don't want my kids to be sheltered, but this is the kind of stuff I'll have to be worried about sending them out into the world. For those of you who have kids, or have adult children: was something like this ever a worry for you? If so, how did you deal with it? I remember seeing a story on John Walsh, where they talked about what happened to his son. For the guys who lived through that period: how did that effect you, if it did at all? This is all crazy, man. I don't know. Just...I don't know.

23 comments

• Dougster
    12 years ago
    Did you see Obama? He is going to make someone pay hell or this!
  • staxwell
    12 years ago
    Yeah, I just saw him online. Something definitely needs to happen.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Only one survived with just injuries too.
  • mikeya02
    12 years ago
    Armed police at every school? Every mall? Every theater? Might help, but not very feasible.
  • looneylarry
    12 years ago
    There will be the predictable responses from the gun rights guys who will say that this stuff will continue until we have everybody packing heat all the time everywhere. I don't know who that will help, other than gun manufacturers. Should elementary teachers have mandatory target practice? Should we arm every second grader? The gun industry will lay low for awhile. But when somebody attacks them about how they can produce mountains of firearms, they will play the victim and then scold their adversary for denigrating the lives of all the innocent victims in CT. It is all so old, old, old. The NRA has been proud of their record of stealthily knocking off any political opponents and they actively cultivate a reputation of power that is above and beyond their real numbers. They have even talked about leaving their political opponents dead in the grass in the middle of the night. I guess they fancy themselves as political ninjas.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    I don't know if it will ever end, school attacks have happened in one form or another for more than 80 years. In some ways I think the media attention we give these attacks is one of the worst problems. There are a lot of terrifying things in this world and I suspect if I ever have kids I'll find some new terrible ideas. But you can't let those thoughts dictate your life, because that would be an even more miserable existence. I completely agree with your last though also, this is all crazy.
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    Shit like this is sad..... My oldest is 12 Stax and my youngest will be born soon.....its a worry but most school.have police in my location now so its a cumfurt........
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    The other sad thang is we will keep.geting scared and we will loose more freedoms do to over policing and the gove will just Fuck us over with that big brother camrea bull Shit
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    Lol Fuck me Stax my oldest is 16.....I've got away to many kids for being 30 lol
  • staxwell
    12 years ago
    @Dougster, was it a kid or a teacher? @mikeya, that's something that might be worth thinking about, at this point. @looney, that's how it usually goes. @jester, before the Colombine shootings, something like that happening had never crossed my mind. I was in junior high and it was never even a thought for me. For this group of kindergarteners and other young kids this is now their reality. I'm just sad for them. @juice, I definitely agree with that. And congrats on the baby, man.
  • endlesstempo
    12 years ago
    I heard about it this morning, definitely a very sad story. It's always especially tough when you think about who those kids might have grown up to be if they had lived and had normal lives. Like, how do you know you didn't just kill a great inventor or a pioneer in science or an incredible artist? I take it especially hard when children and young teens get killed or lose their lives this way for that specific reason - there's so much potential. Not that it's more tragic than an adult getting killed, but come on these kids have barely even gotten to see the world and they have it ripped from them. It's not fair. Without getting overly political about the topic (this is not the time nor the place imo), I definitely think gun laws need to be addressed.
  • Stiletto25
    12 years ago
    No you dont want to shelter your kids but the world isnt giving you much choice these days.
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    Thanks Stax my man
  • Stiletto25
    12 years ago
    @looneylarry- warning: this will sound crazy but I would feel better if my child was in a classroom where the teacher was packing heat and had gun training.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    "3 went into the hall and one came back..." Agree if they were armed, odds would be better.
  • looneylarry
    12 years ago
    No, Stiletto (and you know I love you with a burning non-STD love), I wasn't really advocating teachers packing heat. Or grocery store clerks. Or theater concession stand workers. I think teachers have their hands full as it is. I would rather a school district hire a teacher based on his or her ability to motivate and educate young people instead of their ability to hit a target at the range. Or their prior military basic training. Or the fact that they once saw Red Dawn and thought they could do the same thing. The stuff we used to do to our teachers, I'm glad they didn't have ready access to a firearm.
  • Stiletto25
    12 years ago
    Lol. I love the non std reference. That was funny
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    :((
  • rickdugan
    12 years ago
    It is difficult for me to joke around today after this. This was just so beyond senseless that it defies words. I could see this nutjob going after his parents and maybe some other adults, but what in the world did 20 little children do to deserve his wrath? One thing that I have noticed is that all of these school shootings seem to occur in public schools. My oldest child already goes to a private school, but this just furthers my resolve to keep all of my children in private schools, which don't seem to have the social problems (kids from broken homes, behavioral problems) that inevitably exist in schools that have to take all comers. Fuck.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    FYI rick, private schools are filled with some of the most fucked up. Especially if they have any kind of religious bent to them.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Yes, Rick must have forgotten about Virginia Tech.
  • gsv
    12 years ago
    Virginia Tech is a PUBLIC university anyways, so not sure how that is an example. But anyway, I do agree that private schools are not immune to this problem.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Shit, you're right. I must be hallucinating worse than juiceman this morning. Ok, I'll throw it out - have there been any shootings at private schools?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion