tuscl

Legalize Prostitution To Help Save Us From Fiscal Cliff

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:13 AM
Dennis Hof, Moonlight Bunny Ranch Owner, Wants Prostitution Legalized To Help Save Us From Fiscal Cliff "There's no business like ho business." So said Dennis Hof, owner of Nevada's Moonlight Bunny Ranch. He told The Huffington Post that the federal government would do well to cut itself in on the "recession proof" business of prostitution by legalizing and taxing it. "I pay about $350,000 a year in taxes," Hof said. "The government can have that money or they can spend a fortune on a vice squad. I can support my community or I can take away from the community by having an illegal sex trade." Hof said the prospect of legalizing prostitution and marijuana should be on the table in the ongoing negotiations over the fiscal cliff, a combination of tax hikes and spending cuts that, economists said, could plunge the country back into recession. The Christian Post reports that $30 billion a year is spent worldwide on prostitution. That's money that will be spent, whether selling sex is legal or not, Hof said. "People are making billions on the sex trade in America and no government is making any money off of it, except in some places in Nevada," Hof said. "You can't stop it. Prohibition doesn't work and legalization can solve a lot of our problems." Hof said he's frustrated by lawmakers' inability to compromise on a deal that would prevent the country from going over the cliff. "The bottom line is, politicians work for us," Hof said. "It's time to tell our employees to get it together. We need to let these people know, do the right thing or you're getting fired."

21 comments

• she_is_covfefe
    12 years ago
    The legalization of prostitution is something that must be done soon.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    As more and more states and cities face serious economic threats I think it's inevitable.
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    If they are legalizing pot (not that I personally care for that) – why not legalize something that much more people are interested in and have been since the beginning of time.
  • Doc_Holliday
    12 years ago
    Slavery?
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Good point, Papi. I would have thought MJ legalization was 20 or 30 years off even just four years ago. Right now I feel legalization of prostitution is 20 to 30 years off, maybe this one will just be four years off?
  • mjx01
    12 years ago
    Canada!
  • bang69
    12 years ago
    I think they should legalize prostution.
  • samsung1
    12 years ago
    The married voters are going to be against prostituion but marijuana is more couples friendly.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    Pot is still a Federal offence. Federal Law trumps State law.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    Yet we've had state authorized medical marijuana for what, 15+ years?
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    It's all about enforcement or lack thereof. That can be said about a lot of laws at EVERY level.
  • ilbbaicnl
    12 years ago
    What are the rules for saying when its taxable proceeds from prostitution, or a gift to a lover? Is it fair for the government to take a piece of the $20 some aging streetwalker gets for a BJ, but the Anna Nicole Smiths make tens of millions and don't pay a dime of tax?
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    It is called manipulation of the Tax Code. Those that can afford to buy the best manipulators, pay the least. I have no idea whether dancers accurately report income to the IRS. I doubt they buy the services of the Tax Code manipulators.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    There would be no "manipulators" if the Tax Code wasn't so complex that IRS couldn't figure it out.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    There are a lot of people and organizations to blame for the complexity.
  • farmerart
    12 years ago
    Hof's numbers intrigued me. I am assuming that Hof is talking corporate taxes when he mentions paying a tax bill of $350K. In Nevada that would suggest a profit of $1MM reported to IRS. There must obviously be great opportunity for skimming in the bordello business but, even so, this does not seem like such a sweet business profit-wise. I can imagine grief and frustration for the operator of a bordello just to generate such a paltry profit as this. I will happily stick to flogging hydrocarbons in Canada. Profit margins are much juicier than bordellos and corporate taxes are lower.
  • harrydave
    12 years ago
    Art, probably his girls are independent contractors and he has only a few employees. Not much profit sharing there. He's clearing something as personal income (salary, who knows what), and $650k as business income after taxes. Are you sniffing at that? LOL!
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    "He's clearing something as personal income (salary, who knows what), and $650k as business income after taxes. Are you sniffing at that? LOL!" My jaw kind of hit the floor when art told me how many oil futures contract his was into.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    Alucard, I suggest you go read the Ninth and Tenth Amendments. Now do it again. Until you understand them.
  • txtittyfan
    12 years ago
    I do not believe the tax code is manipulated. Rather it is followed by many to maximize their tax savings.
  • txtittyfan
    12 years ago
    While Federal law may trump State law, the constitution provides for States rights. IMO, regarding the legalization of pot, the Feds are violating States rights regarding their citizens.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion