tuscl

A Real Job

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
Thursday, October 4, 2012 4:14 AM
Last week I visited a Detroit club that I seldom go to, and I saw an old favorite from the Flight Club. I asked where she had been, and she said she had taken a year off dancing because she got "a real job." She had worked in a doctor's office but now had gone back to stripping because her office job did not pay enough. She told me she had been making $11 an hour, which is about $23,000 a year. Besides the low pay, she had to work 5 days a week. And the work was boring. That's the problem with "real jobs." They're boring. They consume too much of your time. And they don't pay enough. Stripping is, I believe, a good career choice for young women who have good looks and little education. They can earn much more money than they could in an office or fast food joint, and the stripper money comes free of annoying income tax and payroll tax deductions. They can work 6 hours a day for 3 or 4 days a week, setting their own hours. And they can enjoy a party atmosphere of drinking, dancing and music. Having spent my whole life in "real jobs," I envy the stripper lifestyle. Stripping does have its downside, of course. Dancers do not have medical or other employee benefits, and if they don't pay FICA they don't earn social security credits. They don't participate in a retirement plan. They don't have a career path and they don't gain experience that will help them to get other jobs. Dancers have a short career, where they can expect to make less money as they grow older. Still, for a young, attractive woman, stripping sounds better than a real job.

24 comments

• Dougster
    12 years ago
    Plus they the privilege of rubbing their against and interfacing with the likes of all of us! It's almost like they should pay us. Would you want your own daughter doubt it or a real job?
  • mikeya02
    12 years ago
    Well said "mumbles"(Doug). Stripping is a great way for a young girl to make lots of money. Some do this with it and some do that with it. Don't tell me you're gunna come up with that all strippers are the same crap again.
  • SuperDude
    12 years ago
    A dancer could form a corporation, put all of her money into it, draw a salary, purchase health coverage, lease a car and operate as a small business. Yes, it requires keeping up with a lot of paperwork, but a lawyer or C.P.A. regular might be willing to help out. Why do it, if it means paying taxes? Costumes, shoes, hair and nails could be deductible business expenses. Why not, if it gets you benefits, social security and a high credit score?
  • Rod8432
    12 years ago
    Somewhat related topic - I remember a newspaper article once about inner city kids being drawn to a life of crime. The "reason" cited was real jobs didn't pay as well, involved long hours, and were boring - as though that was the problem. To which I thought, of course - why would anybody choose a life of crime if it didn't pay more for the time involved, and include some bling? In fact, why shouldn't I do it? Then I realized, oh yeah, I'd don't want to be looking over my shoulder all the time, plus maybe get caught and thrown in jail. Besides, it's wrong and I'm not about ripping off people. In the end, it's a choice and choices have consequences. Stripping is basically legal, but there's still choice involved. I agree with SuperDude - as with any high-income, short-lived lifestyle (pro sports players, movie actors, etc.), the smart stripper would earn while she could, invest well, and augment her life with the proceeds long after she decides to enter the "real" world of work. I've known a handful of strippers who've done just that - more power to'em.
  • Estafador
    12 years ago
    Personally, for a short term job, I think its cool that YOUNG girl works as a stripper, though as long as she doesn't do anything beyond her business practices (that means saying no to super pervy guys like you all on TUSCL). Why, because they can earn a debatable better income than they would at a "regular" job, they'd still have the experience of dealing with irrate customers (there's always those customers no matter where you work. Its how you deal with them that makes a difference), and they can have fun in a club enviroment everyday. After all, don't girls love to party. get a reason to go shopping, have money for school tuition (if you're not poor like me and actually have to get tuition) and still have fun. As long as these young girls don't try ito stay in the scene for the long run and actually do try to better themselves for the future for a better job.
  • jacobs.patrick7
    12 years ago
    Are drugs tax deductible in that corporate entity?
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    So who would prefer their daughter do it over a real job? How about in the Detroit clubs? Mikey-boy?
  • mikeya02
    12 years ago
    I dont know Dougie. Thats a different dicussion anyway.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Lol! You are truly a fuckin' idiot, mikey. It's okay as long as it not your own daughter. (Not that working poor like you should have any children since you couldn't afford to raise any). The reasoning in this thread is completely narcissistic. We decide what we want - more strippers, and then rationalize why it's good for them. We only look at the benefits, and only from the economic angle (and only brief look at the negatives from the economic angle). "Confirmation biase" at work. When someone tries to bring the other factors into the picture, get a little more empathy in the picture, by bringing it closer to home and asking what it was their own daughter it's dismissed as "another question".
  • Estafador
    12 years ago
    I'm gonna look at the positive of having your daughter work at a strip (even though I dread having a daughter at all). She can introduce her old sexy man, to a lot of hot strippers and I can get in for free (when she's not there of course).
  • mikeya02
    12 years ago
    Er, Dougie, the topic was whether being a stripper was a good way for a young girl to make lots of money. Nothing about prostitution, morals, or fathers and daughters. You sound like a bible thumper.
  • Tiredtraveler
    12 years ago
    I was in The Landing Strip in MI a few weeks ago and talked to a dancer (an 8.5) that stated she worked there 3 or 4 days a month Fri&Sat, had a regular job and was working on her masters degree in psycology. I tend to believe her as she was very bright. She said that this was easy money and as long as she worked only a few days a month the was able to be friendly with the full time girls with out falling in the stripper pit. She said her regular job was conservative and this let her let her exibitionist streak out without anyone finding out. She said she lived alomost 2 hours away.
  • canny
    12 years ago
    Strippers earn a ton of money but it's a short lived career and most of them don't plan ahead so when they can't strip any more they're 35 years old looking around trying to figure out where they'll be when they're 36. If they plan ahead, financially it's a great short term job to get them started in life. Otherwise it's a trap.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    There's a long list of jobs I wouldn't want my "children" doing. At the forefront is anything illegal, this is followed closely by one that doesn't give them enough money to survive especially if they hated doing it. Assuming I had children I wouldn't want my daughter or son flipping burgers for $18,000 a year either. Nor would I really want them in the military though I have the utmost respect for the jobs. Are there negatives? Sure. But to dismiss all the positives and only shout about one negative (which is debatable) is just as bad as ignoring the said negative.
  • lotsoffun201
    12 years ago
    I had an ex wife for 14 years who was a stripper. Every time she got a "regular" job, she figured out that she used to maken more in a day than she did in a week with full time work. Went back to the pole every time!
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    The job I have been doing for the last 30 yrs is NOT boring. And on an hourly basis pays VERY, VERY well. After clubbing for the last 20 yrs, I can understand the lure of the money in dancing over low paying jobs.
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    Blow or hand are real jobs
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    BUT only if done WELL gatorfan.
  • mjx01
    12 years ago
    @OV: Totally agree, the system is fucked. Can stripping be a 'good' job? Well it really depends. If the girls is investing in a house, mutual fund, education, then yeh it makes sense. But how many dancers follow through on that? Not a lot IME. Most piss all they money away immediately on booze, drugs, douch BFs. Even the ones who start off as a 'temporary' gig fall into the trap of the party life and can't get out because everything else pays less.
  • steve_ny
    12 years ago
    The problem for young girls is that evertything about stripping ensures that they stay stripping. As mentioned before, little to no taxes. If they have kids, low income, single mother gets all tax credits, and all other subsidies. The biggest problem is the fact that there is no resume experience so when they graduate, they can't possibly make enough money to leave so they keep going back. The job restricts and is a barrier from them to do anything else.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    The question I asked is if you would want your daughter working as a stri
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    The question I asked is if you would want your daughter working as a stripper, let's say in the Detroit clubs, but pick a more typical area if you like that better. Keep pretending to misunderstand and answer an easier question and completely orthogonal like the jestie-girl did though. So typical of the way so many of you idiots try to make your points on this site.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    "Working as a stripper... Or in a real job." Man, dealing with some these pea brains is so laborious, makes it hard to even write after a while. So determined to reach the conclusion they want an only look at the question from one angle "is the money better?"
  • mikeya02
    12 years ago
    There is only one angle to this discussion, Dongster. Stop projecting and start your own "angled" discussion.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion