tuscl

Dancers pissing you off? Close the Club!

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
The owner of Shotgun Willie's[Rapid City, SD] says his decision to retire the bar's stripper pole and reinvent the place as a neighborhood bar came down to one thing: The ongoing drama of working with dancers who are often young and frequently unreliable.

Financially the business is doing fine, Aaron Johnson, who has owned the West Main Street business since 2007, said Monday.

“I'm just ready for a change,” he said, adding that he has been considering the idea for more than a year. “It's not worth the headache.”

Dancers will take the stage at Shotgun Willie's for the last time on Saturday. The business will then close for several days while workers complete minor remodeling that includes removing the stage and replacing it with a pool table, foosball table, dart boards and TVs.

The bar will reopen with a new name, which Johnson isn't revealing just yet. The bar will continue to be open daily from 3 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Not surprisingly, news of the change hasn't gone over well with the topless dancers who perform at Shotgun Willie's, some of whom are local residents.

“They're a little upset with the deal, but they'll figure it out,” Johnson said.

Johnson knows, too, that he will lose some regular customers when the dancers leave.

“I'm hoping to gain more than I lose,” he said. “This thing needs to change, and it can probably be more profitable than what it has been with being a neighborhood bar.”

Shotgun Willie's has been offering adult entertainment at the same location since 1984. The bar has “always kind of been a sensitive area with the city,” Johnson said.

It featured nude dancers up until 2003, when the city passed a more restrictive adult-oriented business ordinance. Only topless dancing has been allowed since that time.

More recently, since the state's smoking ban went into effect in November 2010, Johnson said he has heard complaints about scantily-clad dancers smoking in front of the bar.

“We've had several phone calls with the city and stuff like that, saying that we need to address this issue,” he said.

That's another hassle he won't have to deal with after next weekend. It's going to be “kind of a welcome change, I hope,” Johnson said.

Johnson said he plans to keep his adult-oriented business license current in case the neighborhood bar concept doesn't work out.

“The worst thing that'll … happen is I have to go back to it,” he said.

13 comments

• deogol
    12 years ago
    That is definitely one way to get rid of stripper drama.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    12 years ago
    As a customer I've certainly had my share of bad experiences and said to myself, "This club really shouldn't be allowed to operate anymore," and then dreamed of ways I might devise to assist in that effort. I have never heard of a club owner thinking the same thing, and taking the action he did. I've certainly seen clubs close, and new businesses open in that location, but they were all with a different owner (even if a subsequent strip club went into the same location).
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    Has the owner tried hiring more experienced dancers who know how to work?
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    @Alucard

In Rapid City South Dakota? That isn't exactly Vegas.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    Even in South Dakota people should know that you report to work & do your job each day you're scheduled to. Dancers included!
  • steve3003
    12 years ago
    A fucking harem sounds good in theory until the concubine drama shit hits the fan. Makes you wonder if them pimps are underpaid.
  • Chanel
    12 years ago
    After working in small neighboorhood types of clubs for a number of years, I can see why the owner would be tired of the drama.

Only a certain percentage is exposed to customers-most of it stays behind the scenes, but it's NEVER-ENDING. It can be so draining. In a large club there are more guys to focus on, making it is easier to ignore. In a smaller club, everything is noticed.

I hope things work out for the owner. In my area, I don't think anyone would consider that option though because the license is valuable.
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    Strippers are supposed to piss us off otherwise we would never leave
  • DandyDan
    12 years ago
    I've heard of owners who got tired of the drama and sold to a new owner, but this is the first time I ever heard of an owner just deciding to not have a strip club before. I'm also sure its hard to get girls who want to come to Rapid City. There isn't exactly a population base there.
  • samsung1
    12 years ago
    Rumor's and Blue Diamond were two strip clubs that got closed down for too much sexual activity. They are now running a regular bar.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    You may well have a good point Gatorfan.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    I find Gatorfan to be a very practical thinker.
  • Stiletto25
    12 years ago
    Sucks its shutting down
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion