tuscl

How Come Some Clubs Get No Love (Reviews)

Sunday, June 10, 2012 3:17 PM
Close to two months ago I wrote the first review on a club that had been already opened for more than a month. It was a substantial club in a large city affiliated with a major chain whose other clubs are frequently reviewed. My review was, I felt, accurate and fair but not negative.

The thing is, my review is still the only one of the club. Other clubs of the same chain and/or in the same vicinity have gotten multiple reviews in the same time.

What I am wondering: Why is it apparently that a new club might find it so hard to get customers and reviews? I find it hard to believe that my one review could be so influential but was there something about it that you took to mean 'stay away'?

10 comments

• Omega22
    12 years ago
    Which club are you talking about? One person's review isn't going to keep me away personally. A bunch of bad reviews and low rating would make me question going but I would still consider.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    Dedicated reviewers of clubs are likely not a majority of club-goers. You may be the only TUSCLer to have ever gone to that club.
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    Some club suck some clubs dont know what the fuck
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    The club was the new DV on Main in LA. Sure reviewers are a small portion of club patrons, but as I said other clubs were getting reviews during the same time.

The real question I guess is why is it apparently hard for a new club to draw customers (and thus reviews to it).
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    It could just be the location. I was born in Long Beach and lived in the L.A./Orange county area for 45 years. The last place I would want to go is downtown L.A.
  • farmerart
    12 years ago
    Location, as shadowcat says, can explain the lack of reviews. There are clubs on my review list that have reviews 3 or 4 times a decade. Another club on my list has precisely one review, mine. Granted, these are lousy clubs in the SC wasteland of Alberta.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    12 years ago
    Like Shadowcat, I lived in L.A. for a long time as well. I wouldn't go to downtown clubs either. One reason could be that it's a Deja Vu club. Nationwide, that chain is known for low mileage. The L.A. exception is the Deja Vu, City of Industry which gets lots of reviews. Another reason is that is could be perceived as a "tourist trap club." I feel that all the clubs in Hollywood are like that. (Another example is the Girls of Glitter Gulch in Las Vegas.) I don't think tourist trap clubs draw very many reviews on any web site. Also, it could be just the volume of competition in the area. A Spearmint Rhino is nearby and several other clubs too.
  • Omega22
    12 years ago
    Deja Vu is way too low maintenance. Lexington KY has one, but we also have a Spearmint Rhino and Platinum Plus. When I was 19 and 20 I went to Deja Vu all the time. Ever since I turned 21 a couple of years ago I mainly go to Spearmint Rhino and Platinum Plus where the girls are hotter, dances are high maintenance, and alchohol is served. My point is that the better clubs get more customers and this means more reviews.
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    Interesting, but I still get the impression that there is yet another factor.

It can't be just the downtown location because other downtown clubs (such as the SR, Sam's, and the DV location near Union Station, get visitors and reviews.

And I don't think that it is the DV name. Certainly the Industry location is much loved on the boards, but the North Hollywood and Union Station locations also get a regular share of reviews. Event the quite average Ontario and Hollywood locations do.

I still come back to wondering if there is a very difficult to break new club inertia. I may ask about that in a separate discussion.
  • Tiredtraveler
    12 years ago
    Who knows why the LA locals do not review clubs. LA is the second most unfriendly town I have ever be in. Boston is the first. I club close to where I am staying when I am there.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion