tuscl

Ready for the plucked chicken(cock) look?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb

“It's not a niche,” said Kristi Crump, Philips Norelco's North American marketing director for personal care products. “Lots of men out there are doing it. We were surprised, but now we know it's a big trend.” Last year, sales of the company's at-home body groomers were up 22 percent, Ms. Crump said, with the highest usage in the bikini area, according to a customer survey.

Danny Ghitis for The New York Times

Pirooz Sarshar, a men's grooming expert and founder of the men's advice Web site PRZman, has been giving himself Brazilians with trimmers and shavers for 12 years. “It's routine for me now,” he said. “I do the whole thing myself. I feel better, it looks better. I feel like I'm cleaner, and its more sanitary.”

As with women's bikini waxing, aftercare is important, since the risk of ingrown hairs, which can get infected, is higher where the hair is especially thick and curly. For the first 24 hours after defuzzing, most aestheticians advise avoiding anything that will get the area overheated, including steam rooms, workouts and (alas) sex.

Keeping the area clean is also important. A unisex calming product, like Malin and Goetz's newly-introduced ingrown hair cream ($34) and FixMySkin healing body balm ($12), which comes in a tube that looks like a child's glue stick, can help soothe any irritation or redness.

Despite the hassles of maintenance, salon owners said, men keep coming back. “Guys try it and look and go, ‘It's better than the mess I had down there,' ” said Mr. Indursky of Bliss. “And it is. You feel more confident. It actually makes you feel more masculine, instead of less masculine, to get waxed. It sounds like an oxymoron, but it's not.”

Be that as it may, Mr. Padilla of Strip said that many of his male clients are submitting to pressure from their partners. “The vast majority say they're doing it because their wife or their girlfriend told them to do it,” he said. “The wives bring them,” saying “If I'm going to do it, you better do it as well.”

13 comments

• Alucard
    12 years ago
    I do a little bit of trimming so as to keep pubic hairs out of my ATF's mouth.
  • HonestT
    12 years ago
    100% smooth playfield when it's game time! Chicks dig it for sure.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    I'll shave, but I ain't waxing!
  • joesparty
    12 years ago
    What about us hairy guys? I would look absolutely ridiculous with no hair down there compared to the rest of my, um, hirsute body.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    This article begs the question: Would you trust your favorie stripper to shave you?
  • pabloantonio
    12 years ago
    Guys don't shave their crotch? 90% of the girls that I know personally are clean shaven.

Of course I don't discuss with guys if they shave or not.
  • igloo9999
    12 years ago
    I'm with Joe........ I would look really silly being hairy as hell everywhere but there.

SC........ sounds like a great spin-off thread. I am currently without a specific ATF and am juggling a number of 'favorites' so I'm not sure if I would or not.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    "Would you trust your favorie stripper to shave you?"

Yes.
  • farmerart
    12 years ago
    Hell, no! It is about the only hair left on my body that isn't tinged with grey or that hasn't turned pure white. The black mat of hair on my belly has lightened up this past year so it is only a matter of time before the pubes change colour.
  • bang69
    12 years ago
    My fav stripper shaving my crotch HELL NO!!!!! I can do that my self
  • pabloantonio
    12 years ago
    Farmerart: too much information. LMAO
  • LeeH
    12 years ago
    farmerart: "Hell, no! It is about the only hair left on my body that isn't tinged with grey or that hasn't turned pure white."

Saw Craig Ferguson doing stand-up. He said he started going gray on his head first. Then chest and stomach. "You know what's next. And I don't need to look distinguished down there."
  • Doc_Holliday
    12 years ago
    I've started to razor the shaft, burr the balls, taint, and ass, trim the bush. What I'd expect of a girl.

Isn't this one of the discussions that comes up once a month?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion