tuscl

Disabled vet and service dog denied entry to strip club,

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb

Disabled vet and service dog denied entry to strip club, manager arrested

July 21st, 2011 | Outside the wire | Posted by Joe Gould

Who kept the dog out?

The 28-year-old manager of a gentleman's club in Myrtle Beach, S.C., was arrested after he allegedly he turned away a disabled vet with a service dog last weekend.

According to WMBF-TV, a 24-year-old vet said he, his dog and another person were refused entry to the local Penthouse Club. The manager said the club, as a privately owned business, could refuse anyone.

Not so, said Myrtle Beach Police Capt. David Knipes: ”The law states that any place the public is allowed to come into, that service animal is allowed to come in as well.”

The vet said he had been paralyzed from the waist down, but regained the ability to walk. He uses the dog to retrieve things because he cannot bend over to pick them up.

The proprietors of several other gentleman's clubs on the strip told WMBF that they'd never dealt with the issue themselves, but they could see the bright lights, noise, and general distractions of the club causing issues for the animals.

David Birch, owner of Derriere's, disagreed. He had hosted a client with a service animal once–no problem.

“If it's a vested service animal and has credentials, you can't deny it,” he said. “That's federal law.”

10 comments

• JohnBuford
    13 years ago
    Good for that veteran and I thank him for his service.Insofar as the other club mangers weighing in, they are talking from ignorance.These service dogs are so highly trained that noise,lights etc. will not distract them.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    reminds me of the prank call about a blind stripper needing her seeing eye dog butch
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    Vets denied entry to a SC. Soldiers ripped for baggage check fees. Forclosures on homes in violation of the federal law protecting servicemen in combat from foreclosure. Second rate medical care at Walter Reed. This is what happens when a nation cancels the draft and none of us have any real contact with the burdens, adjustments and honor of military service.
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    Yeah sam, I thought about that too. Crank Yankers.

http://whipitoutcomedy.com/2009/02/13/cr…
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    Here is aqnother ass hole.

McDonald's Manager Punches Customer With Service Dog In The Face
    Posted: 7/21/11 05:27 PM ET

On July 12, after customer Jennifer Schwenker brought her service dog and autistic children to a McDonald's in Marietta, GA, manager manager Tiffany Denise Allen hit her in the face. Even though Schwenker explained that she was legally allowed to have a service dog inside, Allen berated Schwenker and followed her to the bathroom. Allen then punched Schwenker in the face in the parking lot.

Allen was charged with simple battery, simple assault fear and disorderly conduct. She no longer works at the restaurant.
  • Digitech
    13 years ago
    On a side note, around six months ago I was in a really crappy redneck club (http://www.tuscl.net/d2.php?DID=1123) and the bartender had his pet dog with him. When he wasn't paying attention, the dog escaped from behind the bar and began running around the club, then ran up the stairs to the VIP area. The bartender was busy serving drinks so he wasn't able to chase the dog down for a couple minutes.

I know that there were some people the VIP, too. Man, can you imagine some dog jumping up onto the couch while you were getting a lapdance? I would ask for my money back I think.
  • Dudester
    13 years ago
    We all know that clubs are very noisy and anyone who knows dogs knows that they have a keen sense of hearing. Taking a dog into a club would be animal abuse. The manager was out of line, but if I was in his spot, I'd get PETA to go with him to court.
  • Stiletto25
    13 years ago
    Boy this is going to sound strange on this website but here goes...
    Being a professional dog trainer on my off time from the club scene, I teach at an area agility and obedience center. I have won numerous titles in North America believe it or not. I have worked with service dogs for the blind also.
    Service dogs are trained to withstand high levels of noise and commotion. They are trained to be in any situation with their person. While dogs have a keen sense I'd hearing, commotion and bass from speakers are not going to do any damage for a couple of hours. If they were in a room with a nonstop high pitched sound similar to a whistle but much much higher for an extended period of time, I would think that might start to bother them.
    As for PETA, don't let them fool you. They dish out some of the worst animal abuse around. They are notorious for killing dogs and cats that are handed over to their care. A simple Google search will give documented incidents. It was a big fiasco not that long ago.
  • doke
    13 years ago
    Seriously, the dog owner is an idiot.
    1. The place he is going to is crowded. He could explain the situation and I am sure somebody would help retrieve something for him if needed.
    2. The dog is not actually crucial at that instant. By crucial, I mean like a guide dog for a blind person.
    3. How the hell do you expect to give an order to your dog in a place as noisy as a club?

Seriously, I have a guide dog myself and I make the effort to use a white stick when I go to a club to avoid the discomfort to my dog. They are animals and dear friends, not tools!
    I hope the least he did was to ask a dancer to give a good massage to the dog... ;) Hah
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    Ca va bien, doke?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion