tuscl

Grease the palms?

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:22 AM
At the risk of sounding like a naive traveler perplexed at the vast system of graft and bribery in Soviet Russia, I have a question. There are the waitresses, the doorguys, the bartenders, the counter girls, the mama-sans, etc. Each club has a different system of how to keep track of the lappers, VIP, CR, etc. Is it a necessity to tip the people that are supposed to monitor those rooms in order to even get in the game? In other words, if you routinely do not tip any of those people, you shouldn't expect anything extra to happen during your private dances? Or do you always tip those people and it still won't mean anything will happen, it just means that they won't come by as often? I suspect that since I don't tip anyone like that, the environment is too dangerous to allow any easy activity, and I have get to the promised land the hard way. Is an even better tip one that is done in front of the dancer so that she knows you want more privacy? Or is this all one more way for the club to pry more dollars out of your wallet?

22 comments

• Rod8432
    13 years ago
    Looney - Are you talking about SCs in Russia, or just in general? If in general, I've found that if there's bouncer who's somehow connected to the VIP, then slip him $5 on the way in. Also, if there seems to be a mandatory waitress, then order a couple drinks and give her a $10 tip. If you're already spending $150+ for the room/girl, then these little add-ons are small potatoes by comparison, but can (and do in most cases) result in a much more private dance. You don't need to worry about tipping anyone else. And if you're in Russia, then all bets are off, as I have no earthly idea what the protocol is there.
  • looneylarry
    13 years ago
    Ha, thanks, Rod, for clarifying. I was wondering if the current US SC scene compared to the old Soviet-style economy of nothing got done unless everybody in the chain got paid off. I wasn't asking about Russian SCs; I imagine that would be another wild thread.
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    I tip the bar tenders and waitress for drinks and occasionally the door girl, if she is hot. No body [view link] at my favorite club, if you make a trip to the Champagne Room your are expected to tip the Champagne Room Hostess about $20. The only time I have ever tipped a bouncer was when I had a flat tire in the parking lot and my cell phone was dead. He called AAA for me and then came in and got me when they arrived. I gave him $5.
  • cobraguy
    13 years ago
    Ya waitress, bartenders. And the guys who bring out food usually get a few bucks mostly cuz there cool guys Whoi know. Bouncer who seats booths Has gotten one on rare occasion when thr place is obviously at standing room only and "finds" in reality moves someone so I can have a booth :) ah the perks of being a regular. Never tipped a hostess tho. They are hot. Honestly I tip my favorite waitress more than any of the dancers. I haven't had a dance in awhile tho... Been low on cash last few months.
  • Prim0
    13 years ago
    Sometimes tipping well can lead to better service...but not always. I usually tip the waitresses and bartenders a buck or two per drink. I find they come back and check on me more often that way. I hate having to wait for a drink! Dancers don't usually get tipped above LD fees since they are already so high. I've never tipped a bouncer and I usually throw a single in the tip jar for the door girl. A mamasan in one club did tell me that she'd allow me to have a more private dance if I slipped her a $20 but I wasn't trying to push the boundaries at the time so I passed. As a bouncer, I was tipped once by a guy who slipped me a fiver while shaking my hand on the way in. In those times, I wouldn't have been allowed to let him get away with anything anyhow so he might have well kept it.
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    In Detroit clubs, the customer is required to "tip" as follows: (1) extra for the mandatory valet parking; (2) extra for the mandatory coat check;(3) seating in a booth; (4) each entry to the VIP; (5) dancers who whine; (6) bartenders, waitresses and bathroom attendants; (7) bouncers who look the other way in VIP; (8) shot girls after buying the shots. Each one of these individuals make it clear that they expect a tip on top of the required charges, i.e. if the booth charge is $20.00 the bouncer will stick you in a bad location unless you drop another five to get a decent seat.
  • steve229
    13 years ago
    LL & SD - Yikes, that could really add up. I guess I'm lucky I don't have to put up with that very often. My regular club is basically a neighborhood bar with strippers, so other than the dancers themselves the only person I ever tip is the bartender (during the day they don't even have waitresses). I have a favorite bartender that I tip generously, and get a heavy pour in return. (Two drinks is my limit when she's serving me). She's also the one who collects the VIP fee and times the room. I always throw in a little something on top of the house fee for her. My perception is she's pretty liberal on the timing as a result, plus we get a discrete knock on the door when time is up, giving us time to ahem, reposition hands and clothes.
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    and I thought topic was about handjobs!
  • lopaw
    13 years ago
    I tip the waitresses, bartenders and the dancers. Nobody else.
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    I tipped a bouncer/dance counter once. It was at the request of a fave who didn't like to have his constantly poking in to look around. He no longer did.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    I agree with SuperDude the extra fess associated with detroit clubs hurt the value rating (coat check, valet, booth seating, VIP charge, etc.) but the value in the lappers more than makes up for it. I am willing to put up with these petty fees in exchange for the best lappers in the midwest!
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    ss1, What is a "coat check"? :)
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Come up to Detroit in January, Clubber. LMAO Try walking the 100 feet to the door without a coat. I'm tough, I don't wear a coat in, even in the nastiest storms in winter. Superdude is correct in that many clubs have these fees, not just in Detroit. If one doesn't want to pay these fees, you can work around them. I'd rather give my money to the dancers who I enjoy. TIPS basically means "To Increase Prompt Service" That being the case, I only tip bartenders and waitresses. Tough luck to everyone else.
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    vm, I am with you on the tipping. The once time I did tip the bouncer/dance counter was at "C's" request. Now I ask you, could I pass that up? :)
  • Realist123
    13 years ago
    i'll throw a buck or two here and there, it helps when a ROB hits you, to have the bouncer on your side because he knows you
  • rickdugan
    13 years ago
    Bartender and waitresses of course. Bouncers? No, unless they are doing something special for me. I recently tipped a bouncer well for letting me know about DUI roadblocks that were going up near the club. He even mapped out a route for me to work around them. I gave him a $20. VIP/CR "hosts" or door guys? In places with very private or potentially raunchy VIP/CR setups, hell yes. Another $20 is a small addition to what I am already paying anyway, but can make a big difference in terms of the ROI of my trip to the back. Bathroom attendants, valets, etc.? Usually I'll give them a few bucks over the course of the night.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Had you passed it up, Clubber, I would have kicked you :)
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    In this day and age, anybody who *doesn't* tip wait staff deserves the crappy service that results. And if you kick in even an extra buck on drinks, their appreciation is all out of proportion to the value of that dollar. As far as the rest of them, if you can reasonably expect some increased level service, it seems like a no brainer to pitch in, especially if the "increased service" at issue is actually staying away from the VIP room while you're in there.
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    gmd, Waitstaff gets a tip without question. Even relatively "poor" service gets something. Those that exceed my lofty expectations, well they will always remember me. One of the reasons I walk in a club and my drink awaits. Just the other day something even surprised me. A fellow TUSCLer walks in to meet with me, and the bartender guides him to where I am seated. Had no idea she even knew we knew each other. In my book excellent service, even if it was vm she sent over instead of a club hottie!!! :)
  • bumrubber
    13 years ago
    I just tip normally, like any other bar. It rubs me the wrong way when people have their hand out without having provided any kind of service. When that happens I often leave and don't come back. Keep in mind I'm not trying to get laid in SCs so I'm not paying anyone to look the other way. YMMV, as they say.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Well,Clubber, next time, I'll wear my bikini and give you a Stir Crazy "handshake" and stand there expecting to be tipped.
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    vm, Now THAT is a scary thought!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion