tuscl

Club membership

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:36 PM
I have run into some clubs in Kansas where you have to buy a membership to get in. It is usually a small fee, $10 or $15, and you have to fill out a card with name, address, phone, etc. The odd thing is that the first time in is a waste, they take your card, turn you away, and tell you that if everything checks out you can come back in about 7-10 days and activate your membership. When I thought about it, $15 for a year and no covers during that year, it seemed pretty reasonable. You can also bring in one guest for free each time. I was a little pissed about the first visit being just a card submission and going home. So now each time you come in (renewing annually), you present your ID, they look it up on their computer, then let you in. Here's the question: anybody feel a little queasy about that? Each time they know your real name. If there is any scene in the club or any disagreement, they will know who is involved. The dancers often float in and out of the booth, and if they are friendly with the door guy, they could also easily find out your real name and other stuff. They may put a star next to your name on the screen as you come in, so that on any given night they can see who's in the club. Let's see, it looks like Dan Smith, Bob Johnson, Jim Logan, and Jerry Wanker are here right now. The only thing is that I don't think they watch to see who has left and check them out. But they do check them in. I mind my Ps and Qs and avoid drama like the plague and I gave them an address that's one address old. But any misgivings?

17 comments

• sinclair
    13 years ago
    I would personally not be interested in a club like that. Especially when there are lots of strip clubs where I can be anonymous. We have one club in my area that scans your drivers license into their computer, and I refuse to go there.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Fuck that club. I feel the same as sinclair. Clubber ran into one club like that in Miami, he turned around and left. They have no need for that kind of info.
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    I have a life time membership card to the Platinum Plus chain. They normally cost $500 but I got mine free. All it really does is get me and one guest in free. About a year ago they went high tech and replaced the old card with one that they just swipe. During the renewal process they gave me a form to fill out. About 20 questions. Name, address, phone number, email address, favorite drink, favorite bar tender, favorite dancer and on and on. I only gave them my first and last name. My names are so common that I do not worry about being stalked but I refused to give them more. They did NOT hassel me about not giving more information and I got the new card before leaving the club. I would refuse to give any club more information than that.
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    In some cases, this is a way to bypass laws that apply to "public" places. By making it a "private", members only, club, they can permit such things as full nudity and lap dances when those would otherwise be prohibited. Rumor has it that a couple of local clubs are going to try that route if the new law isn't overturned. It's still more than a bit intrusive, but gives the club a modicum of protection from busy body lawmakers.
  • biggb011
    13 years ago
    good you gave them a old address. think about this, if you come in often and spend a lot of money. eventually they will notice this a label you as a high roller. if you spend a lot of money in the club you must have a nice home, right. now they know you have money, your address and when your not at home. the making for a disaster...
  • BaddJack
    13 years ago
    It is the ONLY way to get into a club in Kansas. Your choice is present the ID or go home.
  • metaldude
    13 years ago
    Thank God I don't have a need to go to Kansas. There are clubs in FL (Cheetah's in WPB) and SC (master's in MB) that want you to sign in. At Master's I sign a fake name and at Cheetahs I tell them I came by cab and I left my license at the hotel, that's always worked so far.
  • looneylarry
    13 years ago
    They have these "private" clubs that require a membership, and some sell a one night membership that amounts to a cover charge. There are other public bars that usually have a cover. And I can't think of a juice bar in Kansas right off hand, but there might be some.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    Fantasyland West in Ohio used to have to close at midnight due to local law. They went private membership and now can stay open until 3am but require license number off your driver's ID. NO THANKS!
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    For all those concerned about privacy, you understand that your posts here aren't private, right? And that the license number in the car parked outside the club can be trace back to you. And that the cameras in the club, and there *are* cameras in the club, can be used to record your face for later processing. And following you home woe be a snap. I'm not saying don't be concerned about it, but the level of paranoia about it seems...extreme, and coming from me, that's quite a statement. Ask the club what they use it for, specifically. Most states require that question to be answered, and truthfully. They're probably just using it for an internal unique identifier, so they can positively identify you when you come back. That's what allows them to claim the private club status, the fact that they can be virtually certain they can keep non-members out. As far as the background check, it'll help with criminal types, but it doesn't help them avoid LE, because most LEOs can insert whatever information they any into the background check systems, and can fabricate any identity they want.
  • dudeanonymous
    13 years ago
    Every NC club I've been in is this way, although there's no waiting period: pay the membership fee at the door, fill out the form, show your ID, and you can immediately go in. I think they are all private clubs to get around the nudity and alcohol laws. One of the reasons I avoid clubs in NC.
  • steve229
    13 years ago
    Believe it was a club in Fayetteville, NC where the door lady asked if I wanted to buy a membership. I said not really. She said then I would have to be a guest of a member to get in and asked my name. When the next customer came in, she said, "Ron, this is Steve, " pointing to me, "he's your guest, ok?" Ron and I did a head nod, I paid $8 and went in.
  • DandyDan
    13 years ago
    This sounds like the Paradise Saloon northeast of Lawrence, Kansas. I've gone there, gone thru this process and then just left immediately without stepping foot inside the club. I believe it has to do with the liquor laws in Kansas, which basically amount to whether the county is dry or not, but I believe there is also a provision for private club drinking and that's what's going on there. I'm sure someone with a legal mind could explain it better.
  • bumrubber
    13 years ago
    georgemicrodong has it right. "Private" helps get around all the blue laws. Also right about being tracked a bunch of other ways. A lot of clubs scan licenses, and/or make you sign in, and who knows who's recording license plates -- LE, the club, etc. Or why they might be doing it.
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    vm, The club you mentioned, also not long after, was raided and never reopened, to my knowledge.
  • Bemelove
    13 years ago
    As has been mentioned, it's a way to stay legal in KS, and skirt the nudity/alcohol/smoking laws of the state. Because it's a private club, they can do all that and stay legal. I know that Paradise Saloon, Bonita Flats, and End Zone does it. Every time, they ask if I've have a current membership. I say no (if that's the case), and they ask if I've been there in the past. I say yes, and renew my membership if needed. It sucks, but its how they allow "the good stuff" and stay open. :twocents:
  • sanitago
    13 years ago
    the whole idea of making a SC a "private" club to get out from under the different 'blue laws' is something I fear we're all going to be facing in the none-too-distant future. with the way state and local governments are cracking down on "adult" industry outlets like SC's and adult book stores, they're either going to have to get creative or get out of business. if it's a choice between no SC or going to a "private" club so I can have a good time and see women get naked, I vote for the latter.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion