tuscl

What are they doing with our IDs?

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:09 AM
While entering a club sometimes they ask for ID - driver's license - and then disappear with it for a moment. What the hell are they doing with it, that they can't do right in front of me? Some clubs make you sign in, to prove you were there and get a sample of your signature/handwriting in case you deny CC charges. Some clubs do it to keep track of troublemakers. Even regular nightclubs in Canada and Europe scan driver's licenses. But I've never seen this in the US (probably because Americans wouldn't tolerate it). Anyway, WTF are SCs doing? And why only SCs? Any ex-bouncers or managers here that can tell us?

16 comments

• gatorfan
    14 years ago
    Only police and pharmacists ever ask me for ID.
  • farmerart
    14 years ago
    There a few SCs in Edmonton (out here in Alberta) that require ID scanning before entry. These are clubs that have had problems with underage drinking, violence, or other rowdy behaviour in the past. The Alberta Gaming and Lottery Commission (liquor licence regulator) has insisted on this for bad actors. I refuse to submit to this. I have not experienced this intrusion anywhere else in Canada in my SC journey - Vancouver, Toronto, all non-Edmonton SCs in Alberta.
  • troop
    14 years ago
    club roj in fremont ohio scams driver's licenses. i didn't like the idea of it but let them do it because i wanted to check the club out. i even asked the guy why and he couldn't answer my question other than he was just doing his job. turned out i wasted my time that night and i don't intend to go back because of the id scanning.
  • troop
    14 years ago
    club roj in fremont ohio scams driver's licenses. i didn't like the idea of it but let them do it because i wanted to check the club out. i even asked the guy why and he couldn't answer my question other than he was just doing his job. turned out i wasted my time that night and i don't intend to go back because of the id scanning.
  • troop
    14 years ago
    ooops double post.. shrug
  • farmerart
    14 years ago
    ^ A few wobbly pops in the belly, troop??
  • troop
    14 years ago
    itchy trigger finger.. lol
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    Before Vanity got their liquor license it was a nude BYOB club that required you to buy a membership. They would scan your license into the computer system. Pretty invasive of privacy and the other nude BYOB club (Private Dancer) does not require that.
  • lopaw
    14 years ago
    The first time I checked out one of the Rhino's here in LA they scanned my drivers license. Like troop, I was also not told why. On subsequent visits they didn't do it again. Still, I was worried that I might start getting some advertisements or crap like that in the mail. That's all I need for the SO to see something like that!
  • bumrubber
    14 years ago
    lopaw, People can spam me or send me all the junk mail they want. But given SCs' shady associations, I'm more worried about identity theft by the mob or something. The thing is, even if there's nothing on a driver's license besides a name and address, they can combine it with information from elsewhere to get what they want.
  • Clubber
    14 years ago
    I get that (only once), I turn around and leave.
  • Prim0
    14 years ago
    I don't recall ever being scanned at an SC but one nightclub in Cleveland did so and later I started getting promotional mail from them. Not really a big deal, just more junkmail.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    I'll just leave. They have no legitimate reason IMO to get that information.
  • Player11
    14 years ago
    Unbelievable, what are now TransUnion? I just simply show my VIP card when entering (free adm and no charge for VIP rm) - the gal does not even read it. She will just wave me on, smile, and say "Have a good time sir."
  • texastraveller
    14 years ago
    They don't tell you that they are going to scan it beforehand. It happened to me once, and I never went back to that club. I really don't like a strip club having my info, who knows where that info goes and how it's used.
  • drewburner69
    12 years ago
    I just got my licence scanned in a Connecticut SC - I did not like the idea - but I guess they had some problems with underage drinking and fake ID's. I had been to a club earlier in the evening where the bouncer was refusing to admit some under 21 year olds - I will be PO'd if I get a Xmas card from them.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion