tuscl

7 face charges after raid at Cocoa strip club

Friday, October 1, 2010 4:13 PM
COCOA — Capping an undercover operation Thursday, SWAT units arrested seven women and the manager of a strip club after residents complained that illegal sex often ended up in the parking lot. For two months, officers said they gathered video and audio evidence of women stripping completely naked, touching customers and performing sexual activity for $20 to $100 at Playmates, a club that touts an "All nude revue" on the pink exterior of its 518 Industry Road location. Such acts are banned under city code. "They would do anything for money," said Officer Barbara Matthews of the Cocoa Police Department. "The nudity and gratuitous sex was spilling out into the parking lot." The women arrested were Mandie Lasco, 21; Crystal Renfroe, 25; Crystal Vera, 29; Debby Amirault, 26; Donna Tanner, 44; Norma Mae Petro, 38 and Lynda Sue Gleim, 41. All were charged with engaging in prohibited actives, records show. Tanner, Petro and Gleim were also charged with solicitation of prostitution, records show. Police also arrested Ray Baycora, 52, and charged with three counts of allowing workers to engage in prohibited acts. All of the seven women and the manager face allegations of code violations as well. One woman was arrested after she pulled into a parking lot full of police vehicles and television news reporters. "She had to start her shift," Matthews said. After the 6 p.m. raid, Sgt. Gordon Teachworth of Cocoa's Special Investigations Unit said he witnessed "filthy and unsafe" conditions. Inside -- amid black walls, gold tassels hanging from the ceiling and a carpet of multicolor stars and swirls -- he found electrical outlets near shower stalls, a 9 mm Beretta pistol and a .44-caliber revolver. One woman threw some prescription medication as officers burst through the doors. "There were open packs of condoms in the room where you could get a private dance, called the Champagne Room," said Teachworth, who coordinated the undercover effort. "But they said they didn't serve champagne there." The club has been the target of past complaints, including when a 16- and a 17-year-old duped business officials into thinking they were legally allowed to strip, according to the police. Playmates, located on property that was annexed into the city of Cocoa, was raided not on a warrant but on the principle of probable cause. Undercover officers gathered enough evidence to conduct the search, Matthews said. The club was closed Thursday night but might reopen today, after fire marshals inspect the building. "We're going to be on these guys all the time," Matthews said. "The police department, the city council want to send that message." Of the six women inside at the raid's start, Teachworth said many were "99.9 percent nude." The seven donned their clothes and were led in handcuffs in front of TV cameras and into a jail van. One smiled. One cursed. One wore a necklace with a Christian cross. "Why are you doing this?" one yelled. As the police wrapped up their night inside the club, a blue Durex condom wrapper on the front lawn fluttered in a light breeze. Cars repeatedly drove by the building near a Cemex cement plant off State Road 528. Inside a green Pontiac was Mustafa Okur. Okur, as owner of Super Blue Shuttle & Taxi, rents warehouse space from Playmates' owner. There, he makes repairs to his 21-cab fleet. But, a time or two, Okur has been a customer of Playmates, too. He said he wasn't aware of ordinances restricting touching and full nudity at such an establishment. "It's like a real strip club," Okur said. "There's just a few bad apples." As he stood near the darkened club Thursday night, Okur answered his cell phone. He said it was one of the club's employees. "She said she didn't know they couldn't be nude," Okur said. "It's always been full nude since I've known the place. And they don't serve beer. No beer, no nude. Now how will they make money?" [view link]

13 comments

• Dudester
    14 years ago
    "One woman was arrested after she pulled into a parking lot full of police vehicles and television news reporters." So, who's the social conservative in the district with a tight political race ? SWAT Teams to arrest naked women ? Were the cops afraid that they'd get shot with breast milk ? Does anyone fuck with a loaded weapon in their hand ? Please. Florida TUSCL members-can you find the "guilty politician" claiming credit for this raid ? I think his/her campaign opponent needs a donation.
  • Skyrbuoy
    14 years ago
    Oh, it's certainly an election year. I was in Cocoa last nite, and went to the IR. My spidey sense kept me from PM's. Was pretty shocked to read the report this AM. I coulda been there!!
  • troop
    14 years ago
    of the 7 strippers, the 3 oldest were charged with prostitution. i guess maybe they were more prone to do it to compete with the younger and most likely hotter strippers. not saying the younger ones didn't do it, just that the older ones probably felt more pressure to even the "paying" field. and note that like i said in another bust thread that managers get busted too in these situations.
  • RocStarsky
    14 years ago
    Residents in that area. Its their fault! Either mind their own business or have a video camera in their hands. lol. Sex in the parking lot. Outside in plain view or in cars? Pull down the blinds??? Get tints!
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    If the neighbors aren't having sex, they are probably upset.
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    Re: Mugshots - except for Mandie, those girls were pretty rough looking, lol.
  • troop
    14 years ago
    re: mugshots pt 2 YUCK! some are plain fugly, and honestly i don't think i'd pay any of them for anything except maybe the one who's pic is next to the manager {deby) and even then i'd have to be really hard up, drunk. or both. those chicks are dregs!
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    "everyone is making fun of our mugshots" Not everyone, just a couple jerks. How about you post a profile picture so we can see what "Reagan" really looks like?
  • troop
    14 years ago
    steve229 says: Posted: 10/02/10Re: Mugshots - except for Mandie, those girls were pretty rough looking, lol. steve229 says: Posted: 10/03/10"everyone is making fun of our mugshots" Not everyone, just a couple jerks ______________________________________ ^ huh? ^
  • ArtCollege
    14 years ago
    Illegal sex in the parking lot: disgusting. The illegal sex should happen inside the club.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    "those girls were pretty rough looking" You can say that again...ugh... ---------------------------- "Its a violation of city ordinance" Dude, the side of the freaking building says "All Nude Revue"!
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    It's not illegal to *say* "All Nude Review", to to actually *have* an all nude review.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    Exactly, but the idea that no one in the club was ever told by anyone before that them being "all nude" in the club was illegal is simply unbelievable to me. LE didn't need to do a two-month investigation in order to find out that illegal acts were ongoing at the club...all they needed to do was read the side of building!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion