tuscl

All-American Light Bulb Dims as Freedom Flickers

As the U.S.A. celebrates its 234th birthday, the plight of a quintessentially American innovation says volumes about the state of the union.

As American as the grand slam, the Mustang convertible, and the constitutional republic, Thomas Alva Edison's incandescent light bulb is among this nation's most enduring gifts to mankind. Granted U.S. Patent No. 223,898 on January 27, 1880 (after some 1,200 experiments), Edison's "Electric-Lamp" essentially made night optional for most Earthlings. Days stopped ending at sunset. Simple, convenient, and cheap, Edison's greatest invention also was far safer than the flammable kerosene lamps they replaced.

Today's federal government, naturally, had to hammer something that has hummed along nicely for 130 years. The Energy Independence and Security Act establishes performance criteria that Edisonian bulbs cannot meet. As the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) explains: "These standards, which begin in 2012, will eliminate low efficiency incandescent light bulbs from the market."

According to an April 14 fact sheet from General Electric, which Edison founded in 1876, 276 versions of its incandescent bulbs will start to vanish just 18 months from now.

EISA has made more common compact fluorescent lights, those swirly bulbs with distinct pros and cons. Costlier up front, energy-efficient CFLs eventually save money. They also require less frequent replacement than do traditional bulbs.

To discover CFLs' negatives, try setting a romantic mood with a dimmer switch. This is, at best, a hit or miss proposition. Scarier still, just drop one onto your kitchen floor. Its internal mercury is highly toxic. If spilled, it requires something approximating a Superfund cleanup. The Environmental Protection Agency warns that if a CFL breaks on one's apparel or bedspread, "Do not wash such clothing or bedding because mercury fragments in the clothing may contaminate the machine and/or pollute sewage" (emphasis added).

CFLs should be discarded at recycling centers. Hundreds of millions of busy Americans, however, will toss these dangerous bulbs in the trash, atop table scraps and junk mail. CFLs will clog landfills from coast to coast. Decades hence, mercury will have leeched into the environment. Americans will wonder why people are suffering brain, kidney, and lung damage. Medical visits will yield lawsuits. And yet another national disaster will erupt, courtesy of Washington, D.C.

10 comments

• wallanon
    14 years ago
    So this has nothing to do with what's written up above. I may read it later. But that's real dedication to one's web forum craft when I see a post on light bulbs with a Yoda beside it, click into an article, and then see an honest to goodness light bulb pic the next time out. An actual fucking light bulb pic. That's really something...
  • Cheo_D
    14 years ago
    So, instead of CFL I'll use mercury free LED bulbs. Good thing there's plenty of freedom to innovate and create better stuff.

Part of the problem is that CFL are what the industry could put into mass production quickly, so everybody now thinks CFL is "it" and keeps buying them, instead of demanding more and improved versions of the better technology.

• arbeeguy
    14 years ago
    I'm sure mercury is a harmful substance. I used to play with mercury when I was a kid. Maybe that is why I missed out on fame and glory - mercury-induced brain damage. Who do I sue?
  • mjx01
    14 years ago
    LED / OLED will surpass CFL as the color of the light and cost improve
  • how
    14 years ago
    Another famous Thomas (Jefferson) said that government governs best which governs least. He'd be as sad as Edison about this nanny-state nonsense.
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    On another board, I tick off liberals because I end almost every post with the line: "A tsunami gathers in the shallows".

Government has over reached and there'll be hell to pay this November.
  • how
    14 years ago
    Dudester, I do hope people have awakened to the fact that all Leftists are enemies of the United States, and vote accordingly. But so many people obviously vote for whomever promises the most goodies from someone else's hard work...
  • Prim0
    14 years ago
    Along these lines of nanny state and the founding fathers and todays politics...

I'm not sure what lable should be applied to me.

1. I agree that smaller government is best...stay out of the way and stay out of my life. Does this make me conservative?

2. Along the lines of staying out of my life, I am pro choice and pretty much atheistic though I've seen some miraculous stuff in my days. Does this make me liberal?

3. I believe in personal responsibility...If I fuck up my life somehow I don't expect the gubment to come and bail me out. Does this make me conservative again?

As far as lightbulbs go...I'm going to buy whatever is convenient for me. Not because its GREEN, or this or that...
  • how
    14 years ago
    Prim0 asked, "1. I agree that smaller government is best...stay out of the way and stay out of my life. Does this make me conservative?"

Answer: Yes. Modern conservatives seek to "conserve" or preserve the Nation the founders established, including the Constitution as presently amended. That typically means government should have little role in our lives, excepting to provide for national defense, lend assistance in times of major crises/disasters, and enforce laws in the interest of protecting life and property.

Prim0 asked, "2. Along the lines of staying out of my life, I am pro choice and pretty much atheistic though I've seen some miraculous stuff in my days. Does this make me liberal?"

Answer: Not really. How one defines the beginning of life, and how one views spiritual matters does not necessarily put him on a particular spot on the political spectrum. For example, merely believing that abortion is strictly a personal choice does not make one a liberal, whereas demanding the government confiscate tax dollars to pay for the procedure probably does.

Prim0 asked, "3. I believe in personal responsibility...If I fuck up my life somehow I don't expect the gubment to come and bail me out. Does this make me conservative again?"

Answer: Absolutely, positively yes. Liberals not only have no compunction against subsisting off the hard work of others, they favor a huge government that confiscates the earnings of those hard workers to pay for the needs of those who don't work--even by simple choice. Personal responsibility is anathema to liberals.
  • DoctorDarby
    14 years ago
    I just want to compliment divadiver on his choice of avatar pics.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion