tuscl

Super Bowl 2014 vote: New York City will reap huge financial dividends from Supe

Super Bowl-sized crowds should translate into a supersized payout for New York City, at least according to amped-up organizers.

Now that the 48th Super Bowl (Super Bowl XLVIII in NFL-speak) is officially headed to the Meadowlands, local merchants can start angling for a piece of the $550 million in expected revenue touted by the bid committee.

The glitz of game day would grow jobs at the stadium and around the area for a full month, as fans flock to New York to soak in the Super Bowl experience, according to Mark Lamping, CEO of the the New Meadowlands Stadium.

The 2014 Super Bowl will cater to 82,500 ticket-holders, and another 150,000 out-of-towners lured in by the excitement of the NFL's biggest game.

That should mean big gains for hotels. In other cities, host hotels have jacked up rates up to 160% during the week of the title game.

And hotels typically require customers to buy blocks of at least three or four nights during the Bowl blitz, said Kathleen Davis, head of the Sport Management Research Institute, which drew up an economic impact study for New York.

The entertainment experts know their target after XLIV years of Super Bowl experience.

Game-day attendees are typically a 43-year-old guy, with a salary around $220,000. He's ready to toss out up to $600 a day in order to enjoy the full Super Bowl experience.

"You have a lot of impulse buys," Davis said.

"Price is less of a factor than having the experience and the tchotchkes. You have someone who is not afraid to spend."

Given that demographic, jiggle joints are going gaga about the looming boost to business.

Rick's Cabaret expects voluptuous returns, especially if the fans are from out of town.

"We expect business to double," said Eric Langan, CEO of the chain of 17 clubs throughout the country, including a storefront on W. 33rd St.

"All the top girls from around the country will come to New York City.

"They always flock to where the Super Bowl is."

The Penthouse Executive Club will fly "entertainers" in from "all over the world" for the occasion, said general manager Kelly Skillen.

"The Super Bowl is an event where men congregate and they'll want to come here, and either drown their sorrow in alcohol and beautiful women or celebrate with alcohol and beautiful women," she said.

The city's 24,000 licensed restaurants, bars and nightclubs stand to cash in, too.

A local Super Bowl would mean a fat payoff for their 300,000 employees, said Andrew Rigie, director of operations of the New York State Restaurant Association.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footba…

3 comments

• Dudester
    14 years ago
    The NFL is taking a giant roll of the dice, hosting the Super Bowl in an open air stadium, during blizzard season, in a city known for it's rudeness. I'll laugh my ass off if weather screws up the event.
  • rickdugan
    14 years ago
    For NYC this will be a blip on the radar - millions of people travel through the city everyday, so another few hundred thousand aren't going to move the needle. And in terms of a super bowl being played in the elements - about damned time. I am tired of seeing Pussy-Bowls. I am biased in that I am in the NE with an open air stadium, so I go to games in the elements anyway - it is how football was meant to be played. And the "city known for its rudeness" thing is crap.
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    Rick: Agrees. As a Buffalo fan (PL doesn't just apply to strip clubs), I think more games should be played in weather that prevents the players fro seeng 10 feet away, and that requires cleaning off the field every 30
    minutes or so. :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion