tuscl

Drink prices $4.25 instead of $4, $5.75 instead of $6, etc.

I guess I can understand why some strip clubs charge $5.75 instead of $6 for a drink to make it look cheaper...but what's up with strip clubs charging $4.25 for a drink instead of just $4. Is this a way to increase tips? You'll end up tipping $1.75 for that drink instead of $1?

I have also noticed some bartenders and waitresses will just round down or up with the prices while others will charge the exact amounts.

I just hope this business practice does not start with lap dances. $30.25 for a lapper instead of $30.

9 comments

• MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    "Is this a way to increase tips?"

Probably. It also could just be a way to squeeze that much more money out of customers for the club.

"I have also noticed some bartenders and waitresses will just round down or up with the prices while others will charge the exact amounts."

I still don't get how they account for this at the end of the night, especially if it ends up costing them or the club money.
  • gk
    14 years ago
    It's definitely a marketing/pricing strategy. And yes, it's a built in incentive to leave the change to pad tips. They wouldn't do it if they couldn't get away with it. It's just business. Don't get too hyper about it.

There are many marketing/pricing studies that explain why $4.99 is a more attractive price than $5. And there are reasons why a business would set a price at $4.25 instead of $4. It's the busienss expenses and bottom line that sets the price, not ours. But it's our bottom line that sets the spending budget. That's the American way.
  • gatorjoe2
    14 years ago
    No guy wants to be cheap and tip only a 75 cents. Guys at least in the strip club don't want to be carrying around quarters. So what do you do when you are given 75 cents change, but want to give a dollar or more tip. That's right, you leave the change and a buck. Just made 75 cents on the patron.

• sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    It's a rip off. There's almost charging the same price for one beer as a 6 pack at the grocery store.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    Lol, the barmaid should be happy I give her a tip, one down at 2001 in Tampa last Friday didn't deserve anything. It took the bitch 15 minutes to serve me and she wasn't busy at all. The pricing strategy gk mentions is the most likely scenario, I agree most of us don't want to leave just change, one bar in Detroit purposes charges $5.25 for a beer at Happy Hour to get the customer to leave more of a tip.
  • mmdv26
    14 years ago
    If the change is 75 cents (I just discovered there is no cent sign on my keyboard...wtf), anyway, the 3 quarters gets left on the table for the waitress. If they only charge $4 for the drink, I am more inclined to hand her a dollar. The quarters just confuse the issue. Clubs that give quarters in change want you to buy rubbers in the bathroom and spend big bucks on extra's.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    sharkhunter, I also think it is ridiculous how dreamgirls in Columbus will charge $5.75 for a bottle of water when I can buy a 24 pack for cheaper than that ($4-5). Also at Sam's Club/Costco you can buy a 35 pack for around 4-5. Dreamgirls is one of those strip clubs that refuses to serve glass of water.
  • how
    14 years ago
    Of course it is just a way to enhance revenue. It almost certainly works in their favor, so good for them. I don't go to a SC to drink, so I consider the 1 drink I must buy to be a cover charge.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    Drinks are always overpriced in strip clubs, even water. It's just part of what one must experience when going to a strip club, since clubs can make a large amount of money off of selling all kinds of drinks.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion