tuscl

Pole Dancing in the Olympics?

Iina Laatikainen, one of Finland's top pole teachers, likens pole dancing to skateboarding and snowboarding, two sports that have gotten serious mainstream attention without completely abandoning their rebellious roots.

"I think getting in the Olympics would be great for the sport," she said.

"I actually see a lot of similarities in what pole dancing is now for
women with what skateboarding used to be for men back in the day. Pole
dancing is definitely on its way to becoming a mainstream sport."

But some pole dancers worry the sensual side of pole dancing, and its
counterculture undertones, would be destroyed in an effort to clean it up for the Olympics. After all, would it really be the same without
stilettos, a boozy audience and a red-tinted spotlight? And how do you
score for sexiness?

TOKYO - For Japan's Mai Sato, watching all those gold medals being handed out in Vancouver is a bittersweet experience.

Sato knows the demands of being the best. In her world, blisters are the
rule, bruises a way of life. And the training — five hours a day, five
days a week.

The world champion in her sport, Sato is as athletic, dedicated and
competitive as the Olympians representing their nations. And she thinks
it's high time her discipline, too, got some real recognition.

Still, pole dancing? In the Olympics?

Absolutely, say thousands of pole dancers and the rapidly growing number
of international and national federations transforming what was once the
exclusive property of strip clubs and cheap bars into a respectable — and highly athletic — event.

"I could definitely see pole dancing in the Olympics," said Sato, who, a
dancer since the age of three, out-twirled a bevy of athletes from 11
countries at the second International Pole Dancing Fitness Championships
in Tokyo two months ago. "I would love to win a gold medal."

"There will be a day when the Olympics see pole dancing as a sport," she
said. "The Olympic community needs to acknowledge the number of people
doing pole fitness now. We're shooting for 2012."

KT Coates, a leading pole dancer in Britain and director of Vertical Dance, is leading the effort to make pole dancing a "test" event in 2012 and foresees a more formal pitch in 2016, when the Olympics go to Rio de Janeiro.
"After a great deal of feedback from the pole dance community, many of us have decided that it's about time pole fitness is recognized as a
competitive sport, and what better way for recognition than to be part of the 2012 Olympics held in London," Coates wrote in a petition she is
readying for the London organizers.

"It has the wow factor," she told The Associated Press in an e-mail.
So far, the petition has about 4,000 signatures. Coates is shooting for

Others fear old-school pole dancers would be eaten alive by gymnasts, who could easily make the conversion from other apparatuses, circus performers or Chinese acrobats, who have a long tradition of performing aerial tricks.

"I don't need to see pole dancing in the Olympics," said Wendy Traskos,
co-founder of the U.S. Pole Dance Federation, which will be hosting its
annual U.S. championships next month. "I don't think this is necessarily
the path that we need to take, as a sport."

Traskos, a former competitive gymnast who lives in New York, believes pole dancing needs to do more groundwork before it shoots for the Olympics. In particular, scoring for competitions needs to be standardized, she said, adding that the names of the techniques vary among different clubs in different regions.

"I feel there are many small, tiny, steps that need to be taken before
this sport, or any sport, can get into the Olympics," she said. "We are
on, like, tiny step 10 of 1,000."

Nevertheless, she said pole dancers on the medal podium is not as wild a
dream as it might have seemed just five years ago.

"Now, when you talk about it you don't hear 'like a stripper' anymore,"
she said. "You hear things like, 'Oh, my friend takes classes for fitness' or 'Yes, I've seen it on Oprah."'

11 comments

• Dudester
    15 years ago
    The original Olympic competitions, 2,500 years ago, were done in the nude. In today's Olympics I very strongly feel that water sports should be done in the nude-it very much evens the playing field.

If pole dancing is accepted, it should be performed in the nude, or not at all.
  • CTQWERTY
    15 years ago
    Winter Games, Summer Games, why not add the Adult Industry Games?!
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    interesting idea. I think it would go along with some of the gymnastics
  • CTQWERTY
    15 years ago
    Just beware of the Russian judge, LOL.
  • sanitago
    15 years ago
    some of the women I've seen dance do things I don't think a gymnast would try on a bet, so why not make it an Olympic event? I do have to agree, though, if it's going to be done, it has to be done right: minimum of three songs, gods-awful "platform" heels and nothing more than a G-string at the end of the performance (with extra points available for going full-nude and the number of judges the performers can make cum in their pants!).
  • steve229
    15 years ago
    ...and judges would be given a stack of ones at the start of the event, medals determined by who got the most tips.
  • CTQWERTY
    15 years ago
    That was good, S!
  • casualguy
    15 years ago
    It would probably be one of the better watched Olmypic sports. Extra points for going nude. Maybe the Playboy channel could carry some live Olympic nude coverage then. I wouldn't mind some nude female water sports as well. Too bad regular channels can't broadcast nude sports.
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    I saw this dancer at her home club in Austin, Texas. Strange they had no pole there. She is a Championship pole dancer. Check her site at this URL:

www.eroticrain.com/
  • Digitech
    15 years ago
    I enjoy a nice mazurka or polonaise as much as the next person, but I am not sure whether it qualifies as an olympic sport.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion