tuscl

The "Married?" Question

mgkreb
Tennessee
Many dancers will invest a little conversation time prior to the "wanna dance" question. Almost invariably, most will ask, "Are you married?" Opinions please:

a) Is there an underlying reason they want to know, or is it just something to talk about?
b) Does it really make any difference to them one way or the other?
c) Is there a "stripclub-correct" answer, regardless of your actual marital status?

16 comments

• shadowcat
    15 years ago
    a)just an ice breaker.
    b)it makes no difference.
    c) that is up to the individual. They always get the truth from me. DIVORCED.
  • arbeeguy
    15 years ago
    At the outset I think it is just an icebreaker. I always tell the truth - "Married and my wife hates strip clubs." I doubt if it really makes any difference to 98% of the strippers whether you are married single divorced bisexual or whatever - as long as you come up with the cash. The other 2% have conflicted feelings and probably won't be stripping very much longer.
  • steve229
    15 years ago
    Overall, I

I agree with consensus, with some caveats:

a) Just conversation. (Plus, dancers have told me I "look married" whatever that means)
    b) Really doesn't matter, especially if just a one off visit. (However, a Fav once told me that she prefers older married guys as regulars - less drama, no interest in trying to date her, etc. If it happens on a repeat visit, she might be trying to see if you fit her target demographic, and if she should invest more time to cultivate you as a regular).
    c) I usually just hold up my hand and show them my wedding ring. (A few years ago on our anniversary my wife picked out new wedding rings, which are very distinctive. Once when I did the ring thing, a young dancer went all gaga over it, insisted on showing it to all her dancer friends in the club, and then the whole time she sat with me kept rubbing the ring with her finger. That was weird.)

• gatorfan
    15 years ago
    1 It's the stripper equivalent to us customers asking them, what's their name, where they from, etc. I wouldn't doubt if marrieds outnumbered singles at strip clubs.
    2 Probably not, but you never know if some have a different view of marrieds versus singles.
    3 Strip club correct answer is say whatever you want, the truth is probably better.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    Maybe they think if you are married then you are mature and just looking for some entertainment. If you are single then you are probably a "jerk" just looking for a girlfriend and they have to make sure not to get too far with you or else you'll be stalking them. I have no idea though and consider it an icebreaker for most.
  • gatorfan
    15 years ago
    I heard a few strippers say they prefer marrieds as customers. They said marrieds are more reliable regulars for consistency week after week. I don't necessarily agree.
  • snowtime
    15 years ago
    The question (from a dancer) hasn't come up as much recently as it used to. I think it is only a conversation ice breaker. I can't see how it would make any difference to a dancer. As noted above, the only thing she is really interested in , is how much cash you have and how much of it she can extract from you.
  • georgmicrodong
    15 years ago
    I've gotten that question fairly often, along with the usual followup, "Does your wife know you're here?" I've always answered honestly, if for no other reason than I'm a basically honest person who doesn't seen a reason to lie when the truth serves or does no harm.

A) I've heard from a few dancers that singles tend to want more for less, while marrieds are more likely to not complain about reasonable prices. A group of circa five does not a statistical universe make, though.

B) In the long run, apparently not, according to those I've asked. Except for their strategy in how they then make the most money off the guy. :)

C) As I said, I always answer honestly. I don't see any reason to lie about it, and I've never had any any reason to suspect that a dancer failed to offer me a dance, or anything else, because of my answer.
  • DandyDan
    15 years ago
    A. It's mostly for conversation, but some of them seem to have a preference (mostly for married).
    B. No real difference for most of them.
    C. I don't think there is a "strip-club-correct" answer, and I always tell the truth (single).
  • Player11
    15 years ago
    a. Mostly for conversation
    b. They could care less (contrasted with some bitch in a bar) - their concern is getting your money. Its all about the money for them (and maybe some strange dick along with otc money) and of course they don't want any drama or somebody fixed on interfering with their private life.
    c. There is no correct SC answer. Married if otc then motel. Single if otc they may come to your place. I just tell them the truth - "I come to SC for stress relief, relaxation, entertainment." Sometimes I may mention wife just wants business relationship. Their focus is money and possibly tapping you as a good atm regular. I spent a whole summer spinning my wheels on the bar scene (flaky gals, ugly bitches, too many men) and when I started going to SC's it was a totally refreshing ballgame. They were coming after me instead.....or essentially my wallet LOL. SC's beat the hell outta the bar scene or even worse trying to mess with some slut at work.
  • lopaw
    15 years ago
    Agree that it is primarily an ice-breaker or just small talk.
    If you wear a wedding ring, that question will no doubt come up more often.
  • Player11
    15 years ago
    Whats hilarious is a lot of them will ask you how long you've been married. I recall telling one stripper I had been married over 30 years and she told me "I might one day, but none of my relationships go past 6 months." I think its just their way of making small talk but they will tell you some enlightening things.
  • bumrubber
    15 years ago
    Probably just an ice breaker. General information too, just trying to get the overall picture. They all ask it though, and always look at the ring finger.

They might figure a single guy doesn't have to explain where he's spending his money. Maybe he's a potential regular.
  • SuperDude
    15 years ago
    Perhaps too cynical, but I've always believed that the "married" question is to size up the potential customer's cash supply. A married older guy has less to throw away than a single older guy. And young guys, married or single, have no money.
  • neoguy
    15 years ago
    Ice breaker/small talk

I cannot remember being asked the question in months. I am sure the ring on my finger tells it all.
  • spudd
    15 years ago
    I've had this same conversation with strippers about a dozen time already:

Her: "You married?"
    Me: "No"
    Her: "Why not? A cute guy like you?"
    Me: "Haven't found a stripper who'd want to marry me yet"

It makes for a good icebreaker.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion