tuscl

Marge Simpson makes cover of Playboy

Sunday, October 11, 2009 12:09 AM
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "D'oh!" doesn't even start to cover it. Marge Simpson -- the blue beehived matriarch of America's most loved dysfunctional family - is Playboy magazine's November cover, the magazine said on Friday. Simpson, tastefully concealing her assets behind a signature Playboy Bunny chair, is the first cartoon character ever to front the glossy adult magazine, joining the ranks of sex symbols like Marilyn Monroe and Cindy Crawford. Playboy said the cover and a three-page picture spread inside was a celebration of the 20th anniversary of the "The Simpsons" and part of a plan to appeal to a younger generation of readers. Scott Flanders, the recently-hired chief executive of Playboy Enterprises, told the Chicago Sun-Times in an interview that the Marge Simpson cover and centerfold was "somewhat tongue-in-cheek." "It had never been done, and we thought it would be kind of hip, cool and unusual," Flanders told the newspaper. He said the magazine hoped to attract readers in their 20s compared to the average Playboy reader's age of 35. Playboy also promises a story inside called "The Devil in Marge Simpson". The issue arrives on newsstands on October 16. Playboy magazine's circulation has slipped in recent years in the face of competition from the Internet, which offers free and plentiful pictures of naked women online. The magazine's circulation fell 9 percent as of the end of June 2009, according to figures from the Audit Bureau of Circulations. But Flanders told Reuters earlier this week that there were no plans to close the print edition. "Over my dead body will we quit producing the magazine in print," he said. Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie have already been honored this year with a set of U.S. postal stamps marking the 20th anniversary of the longest-running comedy series on U.S. television. Animated series "The Simpsons" debuted in December 1989 with a Christmas-themed episode called "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire." It has won 24 primetime Emmys and was renewed by Fox television earlier this year for two more seasons. [view link]

17 comments

• DandyDan
    15 years ago
    The Simpsons debuted when I was still in high school. I can honestly say I don't want to see a cartoon nude. I'd rather see a flesh and blood lady nude.
  • Dudester
    15 years ago
    I started having access to bunnymags in 1968/69, but had full access to them starting in 1974 (I knew a shop that sold to kids). My first crush was 1974 PMOY Marilyn Lange, who had some real curves and natural hanging DD's. Back then, bunnymag was a cutting edge magazine with interesting articles and beautiful interesting women. In 1982, bunnymag reached it's peak when Tanya Roberts did a nude spread to accompany her appearance in Beastmaster. By then, though, the articles were becoming elitest-the magazine was losing touch with it's blue collar roots. A long slow sad decline began. By the 1990's, the stock centerfold was a blonde with surgically altered tits, month after month after month. As the new century dawned, the mag's writers remained rooted in 1968, unaware that the public had moved to center right. One of bunnymag's biggest blunders was to fully endorse a now discredited writer (then professor) who launched a full frontal assault on the second amendment. When complaining letters filled bunnymag's mail center, the magazine's response was to tell the objectors that the magazine "fully endorsed" the writer and had thrown away the letters of the objectors. Wow, imagine that-telling your customers to go get fucked (not in a good way). Within a year, bunnymag was complaining that subscriptions were way down (gee, I wonder why?). Now, in 2009, the magazine is resorting to "implied nudity" from a cartoon figure. This is quite sad, figuring just how important this magazine once was. The biggest problem the magazine has is that most of the staff is female. Although a near total female staff would be a good idea in a strip club, it's not a good thing in a magazine. A men's magazine should have things that interest men-(natural)naked women and articles about classic cars, guns, and sex. Since bunnymag is staffed and written by women, with couples in mind, the magazine will continue to decline. Most likely, it will die when it's founder dies.
  • casualguy
    15 years ago
    I think Playboy is off their rocker trying to appeal to younger people with cartoons. I thought the magazine was for 21 and over. If they want to appeal to younger people, they might try to get young 20 year old something internet stars to get more attention even if the stars don't appear nude.
  • casualguy
    15 years ago
    I should add young hot female internet stars. I saw hotforwords was rated number 1 by something recently. She looks good and interests me a whole lot more than a cartoon. She's on youtube. I'm not familar enough with facebook or myspace to know who the stars are there.
  • Dudester
    15 years ago
    casualguy has a point. There are a number of internet models being ignored. However, one thing about the playmates for the past 15-20 years is that, for the most part, they come from upper middle class homes, which is why they can afford the bolt ons, and fancy makeup, etc. There are a number of very attractive girls working in fast food joints, restaurants, and in offices. There are even some real lookers in trailer parks. They're all being ignored in favor of the doctor's daughter, or architect's daughter, who are looking for their 15 minutes of fame. Thing is, most of them aren't really looking to work hard for it. Take a girl from a working class home, and she might have a work ethic, as opposed to a spoiled brat, who hasn't wanted for anything in her life.
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    Do people still buy this shit? I have not looked at a girly magazine in the last 30 years. See the movie "Bunny House". Hef makes a couple of appearances.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    [view link] or [view link] The first link has 1 year of playboy for $9.95 and the second link (from [view link]) has it for $15.96 for 1 year. I bought my subscription from amazon because it is a website I trust. At $1.33 per issue I think it is not a rip off.
  • jablake
    15 years ago
    I read rarely and I think Playboy's articles are excellent. In fact, I'm thinking about subscribing again.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    lol people who say they read playboy for the articles...are the same people saying they go to hooter's for the wings
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    I have only been to 2 Hooters. I went for the food and eye candy. Both were disappointing. Who ever came up with the idea for hot wings was a boon to the poultry business.I always just chucked that part.
  • Skyrbuoy
    15 years ago
    Long time PB reader and subscriber. I'm not 21 anymore, but the idea of being Hef in his prime still appeals to me. Marge does not.
  • casualguy
    15 years ago
    I like Hooters hamburgers, beer, and fries (could be a lot better). I also like watching the Hooters girls but if most of their food wasn't decent, I would not visit. I go there to eat on occasion and be entertained by the girls in shorts. I could probably do the same thing at a food court in a mall without the beer. However I would not be guaranteed to have everything in one place. I do not care for wings.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    My favorite wings lately have been Wendy's boneless wings. I go there because they have a drive through window and hooter's is not very popular in the columbus, oh area.(Wendy's was originally started in Columbus so there are plenty of those)
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    samsung1, I remember going to Wendy's back in the early to mid 70's somewhere NE of Dayton. I didn't know they started in Columbus. Remember they used to make their fries out of the raw potato right in front of the customer? Never see that again!
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    The 1st McDonald's was born in San Bernadino CA.Back in the 50's. The 2nd or 3rd was In Long Beach CA. My home town. We would take a bus ride down town to see a movie. Back when you got 2 movies, a cartoon and a news reel.The trip always included a stop at McDonald's. Only outside seating then. Burgers were 25 cents, fries 11 and cokes 7.But I was only making about $2 a week off my paper [view link] a Big Mac meal is $5 plus tax. I go in hungry But about 2/3rds into the burger, I want to barf. Waffle House puts out a good burger but I want fries (not hash browns) with my burger.IHOP does a good job. Wendy's is OK. I would rather go to an up scale restaurant and pay $8-10 for a burger fixed my way.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    I used to enjoy going to kahoot's for their "kahoot's burger"...but after a few bad experiences I think it is better to just not eat at a SC.
  • 10inches
    15 years ago
    Playboy has gotten stale and in rut. most of the centerfolds are bleached blondes with store bought its, vapid expressions and bald vaginas. what happened to the glory days of the 80's with big natural tits, full but firm asses and pussy hair?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion