tuscl

Glossary Entries That Could Stand Improvement

chandler
Blue Ridge Foothills
See anything in the TUSCL Glossary that strikes you as misleading or wrong? Not that it's anything to get too worked up over, but this one has always jumped out at me:

> Table Dance
> An air dance where everyone knows before the dance begins that there
> will be no contract. (Lowlander)

It may be true at clubs this guy's used to, but not everywhere, I can attest. A table dance just means the dancer comes to where you're sitting for the dance, as opposed to you getting up and going to a designated room or area. The table is incidental. Whether there's contact and how much depends on the club (and the dancer, of course). In my experience, there's usually at least some one-way contact. At my longtime regular club, the table dances included plenty of two-way touching, and were often better than the VIP dances, which were more closely monitored.

15 comments

• Dougster
    15 years ago
    chandler: Good to see you putting your outstanding editoral skills to work on this board in the all important purposes of strip club education as you failed as a writer in the real world.
  • txtittyfan
    15 years ago
    If there is contact, the glossary refers to it as a lap dance. Looks to me like there is a differentiation between table dance and lap dance and the glossary does a fine job with the distinction. I have always considered a table dance a non contact dance.
  • how
    15 years ago
    I don't really care what they call it. At one club I visit, they call them "table dances," but are ultimate mileage.
  • chandler
    15 years ago
    Lap Dance is another one. The Glossary is a little ambiguous on whether contact has to be involved. I realize that some clubs call their air dances a lap dance, but I consider that false advertising.
  • wallanon
    15 years ago
    Private Dance is a term I use as a catch all. A lot of places use it so I can't exactly tell you where it's most common. One definition I found online is:

Private dance: A private dance is typically performed in a VIP area or in a private room. These are more expensive than "couch dances" or "table-side" dances.

That's a pretty common usage, but I don't think of it that way. VIP dances are defined in the same terms. I've been to places where a private dance is done on a side stage for the world to see, but she's only dancing for one guy. That's also called a private show. There are places that call table dances private dances for the same reason. When it comes to terminology this sort of thing could go on for days. My definition of a private dance is...

Private Dance: An erotic dance performed for a specific party.

Simple. Lots of dance types fit that definition and that's the point. Location doesn't matter. Neither does contact. Too much detail is what hangs up a lot of definitions because of the differences from club to club and region to region. Take the glossary here for example:

http://www.stripclubcentral.com/info/str…

I was wondering what had been put out there for definitions on "private dance". This link came up. Compared to Strip Club Central, the one at TUSCL is just general enough to be helpful to those who need a quick reference but not so restrictive there's a boatload of counterexamples.
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    Maybe there should be...

No contact dance.
    Suck tits dance.
    Hand job dance.
    Blow job dance.
    Fill in the blank...________ dance.
  • chandler
    15 years ago
    Wallanon, that StripClubCentral glossary has some odd ones. Sniffer's Row?? Their entry for Couch Dance is a hoot.

East St. Louis is the one area I know of where "private dance" is the term everyone uses. When you tip strippers, they ask, "Would you like a private?" On the other hand, in some regions that never use the term, if you asked for a private dance, a stripper might think you mean an OTC dance in a private location.
  • DandyDan
    15 years ago
    In my experience, I've only been to one club in which a table dance was an air dance. Some places don't even have table dances, but most of the ones I've been to which do or did are one-way contact.

I'm not sure how places can have "private dances" which are out in the open. On the other hand, the club near me which has a shower show calls them a private shower show even though it's out in the open just off the main stage area.
  • steve229
    15 years ago
    And in some clubs, a table dance is when the dancers actually dance on the table, the table being a kind of mini-stage with a pole built in.
  • Dudester
    15 years ago
    These economic times have caused some dancers that a long term investment (i.e. high mileage dance) is better than a short term (rip off air dance). With that said, we should narrow down dances to four categories:

Air Dance-no contact dance: Recently rare.

Light Contact Dance : Dancer gives one way contact, or allows minor two way contact.

High Mileage Dance: Full two way contact is allowed.

Ultra High Mileage Dance- Bare genital to mouth contact, or bare genital to bare genital contact at only a per song rate as opposed to a flat rate for said activities.
  • how
    15 years ago
    Based on the obvious potential confusion with these terms, if it is not clear what she means when she asks for a dance, I typically reply, "What do you have in mind?" An open-ended question like this usually leads to an answer that lets me know if I want to partake.
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    There really are no "carved in stone" definitions. At the Trap in N. Miami, years ago, a dancer wearing a cape, used it as cover for a BJ right at the bar.
  • wallanon
    15 years ago
    Ever seen a tired, drunk and/or high gal in stripper heels try and dance on something barely big enough to be a coffee table?

It can affect the mood when you're trying to figure out which way she might fall. That could be why it's not that common to have private dances with girls up on tables. Have no evidence to support it, other than more contact than "allowed" because gals couldn't stay on the table. Don't complain when that happens.

I wrote something about table stages yesterday but didn't post. In Denver they're pretty common and used to good effect. Like Steve said, though, the table stages are bigger than the side tables you see at a typical club. I've seen some side stages or go-go stages with a really small area to stand on, but they're built a lot sturdier than a drink table.

When I'm actually out in one of these places, I don't get that specific anyway. Asking for a "dance" usually gets things on the right track.
  • chandler
    15 years ago
    I don't believe the function of the glossary should be to establish any one definition as the correct one. Rather, it should try to reflect how a term is commonly used, in order to help readers who come across an unfamiliar or unclear usage.

If dance terms can mean different things in different clubs or regions, it's misleading for just one region's understanding to be represented. How many customers have turned down offers of perfectly good table dances in places like Indy or Charlotte just because they got it from the glossary that there would be no contact? I ask you, people, how many?

Excuse me, ahem, I forgot for a sec this is nothing to get worked up over.
  • chandler
    15 years ago
    A dancer at my regular club told me once about a customer who declined a table dance, thinking she was offering to get up on top of their table. Most girls there just called them as lap dances when asking. Sounds better.

I don't think I've ever heard before of a club where girls actually danced on the tables. I didn't doubt that it happened, just never heard from anyone who'd seen it. It always just sounded to me like a place where somebody took the term "table dance" a little too literally.

Wallanon, another all-purpose term that might be less misleading than private dance is "personal dance". The only place I recall seeing it in on a neon sign at Brad's Brass Flamingo. I don't recall ever hearing anyone say it.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion