tuscl

Arrogant club management

Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:43 AM
I see from the latest review, now Platinum Plus won't accept $1 coins from the Post Office which is legal currency. I agree that is extremely arrogant of them. If someone from the secret service comes by announced, I bet they'll take it. Now if they attempt to test them by coming in as a regular customer which they could do, I wonder what charges they could face for refusing legal currency? I guess they could always argue that they can refuse to allow anyone they choose into the club for one reason or another. If they were smart, they wouldn't mess around with government agents. I believe giving out change in two dollar bills is arrogant by itself when you ask for other regular change. You think other places routinely handle two dollar bills all the time? They don't but it's legal currency.

24 comments

• chandler
    15 years ago
    They can refuse $1 coins, since it isn't a debt. The legal tender law doesn't apply to retail purchases, admission fees, etc.
  • chandler
    15 years ago
    Meant to add.....I suppose the Secret Service could crack down on strippers not accepting all legal tender to settle a lap dance debt.
  • casualguy
    15 years ago
    I imagine a lot of dancers would take whatever money you want to give them. They probably would not like coins though since they may not have a place to put them. I can just imagine asking a dancer if I could put a coin in her slot. I'm not sure what she would say. So if people wanted to refuse our money to make purchases, our money would be pretty much worthless except for paying off debts we already have. That would be tough. Those two dollar bills could be refused all around town.
  • robofan
    15 years ago
    In Canada they only have coins for $1 and $2. I have seen strippers get tipped these coins on stage lots of times. It has never been a problem.
  • DandyDan
    15 years ago
    I'm not sure what the big deal is. If I ever get a dollar coin, I just stick it in my penny bank at home and then take it to the bank when it gets full. Of course, what would really be helpful is if vending machines (and not simply the ones at the post office) took them. As for my personal experience, I've gone to two different clubs with them and they've given me a dollar bill in return.
  • gatorjoe2
    15 years ago
    TUSCL Brother, One dollar coins aren't a scam, if they are the official US coins. If we actually used them instead of paper dollars the US Mint would save lots of money because coins stay in circulation much longer than paper money.
  • arbeeguy
    15 years ago
    Coins versus bills - an interesting topic with implications both in and out of the strip club. Once a week, I go to a coffee where they sell a bottomless cup for $1.50 on the honor system. You put your $1.50 in the can and grab a foam cup, then walk over to the coffee urn. One day it occurred me that this is the perfect - EASY - way to dispose of the small change - mostly pennies - I am always accumulating. Just count out 150 pennies, or equivalent in kickels, etc., before I leave home, put them in an otherwise empty pocket & dump them in the can. No tedious second counting-out required. VOILA. Now to the subject of $1 coins and $2 bills. I can see where dancers might refuse $1 coins as tip. It could really interfere with their normal way of doing their jobs. But I agree that it is highly arrogant for strip club management to refuse to accept $1 coins at the counter - I've never heard that in any SC I have attended. Also, the clubs I go to don't give out $2 in change, although I would not object to that - since -- unless the dancer is piss-poor, I always want to tip her either $2 or $5 anyway - just a personal preference. And as for vending machines accepting $1 coins - there are many, many vending machines in the private sector that DO accept $1 coins. And anybody that pays more than $1 for a $1 coin needs to have his head examined. Of course I am not a coin collector, so it is easy for me to say that. In conclusion, I suggest that about five patrons with their pockets full of $1 coins arrive at PP simultaneously and all offer them at approximately the same time in exchange for cover charge, drinks, or whatever. If the clerk refuses, demand to see the management, and if the refusal occurs again, loudly protest and storm out en masse, threatening to file a complaint with The Law. By the way, I challenge the assertion that retail establishments are not required to accept $1 coins. I believe they ARE. Where is your proof that they are not? I think it is just a matter of enforcement of law.
  • deogol
    15 years ago
    A club not accepting money! At this time in the economy? Must be doing pretty well. I believe organizations can choose which money they are willing to take and not. For example, the local convenience store refusing $100 bills after a certain time in the day. The club must not be very good at managing their cash inventory if they squawk about coins coming in.
  • txtittyfan
    15 years ago
    Management many times seems arrogant in their practices. But they engage in rthese practices because they get away with it. To add to what arbeeguy says, take sufficient change in advance to avoid the two bills as change. Give back the two dollar bills as part of payments, not as tips. Complain to dancers and other patrons in idle conversation. If enough people did, some practices may change. After all, they can only do to us customers what we allow them to. I agree with the original viewers position of walking out.
  • chandler
    15 years ago
    Arbeeguy, my proof is in U.S. law. Try googling "legal tender statute" (w/o the quotes), and read the first hit on the Treasury Dept. FAQ page. I didn't say it isn't arrogant or bad business for a strip club, just that it isn't illegal.
  • Player11
    15 years ago
    As a coin dealer, I am amazed that individuals would stupidly reject legal tender of the USA. Our current coinage and currency system is based on 1929. The highest denomoniatin available in 1934 was the $10,000 note, and this was when a Dollar had about 16 times the purchasing power. Consequently, it would make more sense if the lowest denomination was say 10 cents and the highest denomination note was $200,000.
  • 275WatchMan7tre
    15 years ago
    This is the best post I've read on here, thus far. A club, and or strippers, refusing money? That is not only the first time I've heard of that, it just doesn't make good business sense. Maybe capitalism just isn't stylish enough for them. lol. Regardless, if you're looking to get rid of all that pesky odd currency the strippers won't snatch from you; I'll give you an account number to deposit it in. I'm still in shock about this whole thing. It's widely known that strip clubs and it's dancers are the most money hungry people around, notorious for going to extremes for a buck. Maybe this was the "change" Obama was talking about!
  • arbeeguy
    15 years ago
    Chandler - you are right and I was wrong. Businesses are not breaking the law when they refuse to accept certain coins or bills in exchange for the goods/services they are offering for sale. TUSCL_Brother - your point is well taken. Certain dealers "TRY" to charge outrageous marked-up prices for the mint-condition dollar coins they offer. This is akin to the well known practice of selling essentially worthless stock, based on "a good story" which is a big moneymaker during boom periods - probably not so prevalent right now. Another good example of this sort of thing - don't know if you would call it a scam or not - I remember about ten or fifteen years ago, gift shops and souviner shops were selling pet rocks for big bucks. Can you believe that? Makes as much sense as paying $5 (or more) for a coin with a face value of $1. Ultimately it all boils down to economics 101 - law of supply and demand. If people are willing to pay far more for something than its "true value" you can be sure that somebody will step up to provide it - charge as much as the market will bear.
  • Dougster
    15 years ago
    Good information chandler (not bad for a failed writer!). I wonder though, if the US ever reached the point, and businesses started demanding payment in gold if the laws would be interpreted differently at that point.
  • deogol
    15 years ago
    I think the pet rock was less about selling a rock and more about selling the opportunity to be a part of something, selling community, and a bit of silliness.
  • chandler
    15 years ago
    Gentlemanly admission, Arbeeguy. I thought it was universally understood that Pet Rocks were a spoof of consumerism. They were from the 1970s. They weren't sold for big bucks then, AFAIK. They may have commanded big bucks more recently, ironically, as vintage collectibles. BTW, I just read the review Casualguy refers to. Jesus, the whole review is about the guy wanting to pay the cover with $1 coins. The part about the him calling the Secret Service is almost certainly made up. Either that or the SS person dismissed it as a prank call. There's been a lot of complaints about flimsy reviews lately. This is one.
  • wallanon
    15 years ago
    Pet Rock = Fad ([view link]) Special Edition Currency = Trend Strip Clubs = ? I try not to carry coins of any type if I can avoid it, but could understand the annoyance if the next drink gets complicated because the bartender won't accept legitimate currency.
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    I knew a retired military Major that always carried .50 pieces, $1 coins, $2 bills just because no one had a slot to store them in a cash register. Also, one of his favorite things was to ask cashiers if they would accept Hawaiian money. I guess older people can be easily amused.
  • Philip A. Stein
    15 years ago
    Clubber, the slot theory doesn't really stand up either. Cash drawers typically have 5 slots for bills and 5 bowls for cons. Plenty of room to store oddball coins and currency. I have a 1934 $500 bill. I wonder just how hard it would be to pass that thing. It has a slight center fold, no holes, marks, very little wear. It's graded AU55. I'll take 2 grand for it and I'll put it in a picture frame that says Frank Lynn Mint on it. I prefer $1 coins for payment.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    I remember hearing a story about people being thrown out of SCs for tipping with quarters.
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    PAS, Depends on cash tills. Now I am talking about a retired major that visits small businesses. Most all of those use the "Office Depot" Sanyo/Casio type of register and they do not typically have five slots. In his travels, what I stated is correct!
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    samsung1, That was common place at the old Tootsie's in North Miami. No one got kicked out for that. Other places and times, I don't doubt that could happen.
  • judyjudy
    15 years ago
    Speaking of arrogant management........when inquiring about dancing at 2 different clubs I was told that I would not be permitted to dance unless I gave the manager a BBBJ.............needless to say I will not be dancing at either of these clubs. Although the one manager was very handsome and appeared to be a big guy if you know what I mean........
  • casualguy
    15 years ago
    judyjudy that is arrogant. However you probably just made a bunch of guys think about pretending to be audition managers for strip clubs.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion