tuscl

Counterfeit money and strip clubs

I've been wondering how well dancers can detect counterfeit bills given to them by customers. In my job, I occasionally deal with large-denomination bills and the only practical way I know to look for a counterfeit is to hold it up to the light and look for the watermark and the denomination thread. Obviously, this can't be done in a dimly lit strip club. I've been told by bank tellers that they can tell just by handling the bills but I wonder if any dancers are that knowledgeable (aside from any former bank tellers :) ).

I'm not planning to try to pass counterfeit bills at a strip club on purpose. I'm just (very slightly) afraid that I might get a counterfeit bill from work. (We've been given one counterfeit C-note in the ten years I've been there.) Not only do I not want to be accused of trying to stiff the club or a dancer, there's also the matter of contesting the determination that one (or more!) of my bills is counterfeit. That's a potential issue at any business where I spend big bills but it's more worrisome at a strip club because if I notify the appropriate authorities, they'd know I was patronizing a strip club. (Does anyone know what the procedure is for verifying the authenticity of a bill that a business claims is counterfeit?)

(Apologies if this topic has been discussed before, but there doesn't seem to be any way to search the discussion board.)

9 comments

• samsung1
    15 years ago
    I remember reading a news article about someone getting arrest for using several c-notes at a strip club that were fake.

The last time I used a c-note at a strip club they had a special marker/pen they used to find out if it was real.
  • casualguy
    15 years ago
    They do have visible and hidden cameras in many clubs and I believe the black light might make some counterfeit bills glow in the dark. I'm not sure though. If counterfeit money was found, the secret service would investigate using every means possible. I was slightly concerned about trying to break a 100 dollar bill at a club. Actually more concerned with getting all change in two dollar bills even though I thought an unethical club receptionist could claim the bill was counterfeit and pocket it. I probably would press charges in that case but I wouldn't want the publicity. I went to the bank and got change instead of thinking of all the things some clubs could do. Getting $100 worth of two dollar bills seems like the nightmare that could come true at a couple of clubs I know of.
  • casualguy
    15 years ago
    In the blacklight in some lap dance areas, the strip on the 20 dollar bill actually glows in the dark.
  • Book Guy
    15 years ago
    Here's my nefarious plan:

I've always figured that I should counterfeit my $1-bills for strip club use. You're always just cramming them in strippers' g-strings and doing other crumply stuff with them. You could use a color photocopier, make $100 of them, then bring $30 each time you go to a club. First thing you do, ask the bartender to change $40 into $1s when you get there because you want to tip. Then, use your fake $1s to tip. Have usual fun as you would, and, when you leave, you're up $30 real dollars. Upgrade to $20s if you dare ... just make sure you use their ATM immediately before trying to spend your fakes, so that the cameras make it look like you got the bad money from them rather than from your color photocopier. If they tell you that the $20s are counterfeit, yell scream and holler that you got the goddam things from their fucking machine and who the hell are they to not let you spend their own goddamn money!!?? You won't get the money back, but at least it will be a plausible cover.

I once was shown an obviously faked $100 by a street hooker in Toronto. She was in my car, and we were driving away for our rendezvous, chatting, friendly-like. (In Toronto, there's a lot less of the social stigma and low-class-to-high-class differentiation, in street prostitution scenes. Or, at least, there was, when I lived there 15 years ago.) So, she says, "Fuck, look at this piece of shit," and shows me an obvious counterfeit $100 that she had been given by her previous John. I'm like, "Wow, you accepted that piece of shit?" A Canadian $100 is mostly browns and dark reds, but this was a black-and-white photocopy. And the front face was upside-down relative to the back face. (Meaning, the obverse and reverse were not properly oriented vertically, relative to one another.) Amazingly bad. I wondered, if she could afford to lose $100 by being so casual about what she inspected before accepting, maybe I didn't need to be paying her as much as I did.

Can't remember if I got decent service, or even, where we went. There was this hotel ...
  • DandyDan
    15 years ago
    The strip on any bill not only glows in the dark in the blacklight, but the ones that are counterfeit are a different color as well, under the blacklight. Whether dancers would know that is another story altogether.
  • gatorjoe2
    15 years ago
    Some clubs give funny money, club dollars, etc. which to me always just looked like photocopied sheets of paper. Obviously in small time bars this wouldn't fly, but some of those Mega Clubs like Tootsie's in Miami, I always thought someone could pull of the fakery.

I would never try it because I value my body to much to have some guy named Bruno come pick me out of a lap dance, throw me down the stairs, and leave bloodied and battered. (If you haven't seen the bouncers at Tootsie's you know what I am talking about).
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    gatorjoe2, the funny thing about Tootsie's is they have some tough looking bouncers, but you can be pretty sure they would never hurt you because Rick's is a public company that would end up losing a lot of money on assault lawsuits. They would only hurt you in self-defense.
  • gatorjoe2
    15 years ago
    samsung1,

You are right, they aren't mean guys, but they define the stereotype of the big, orge like bouncer. Most of them are pretty friendly guys who asked me if I needed anything each time I went (non-threatening manner). They are just so big, it would take ten of me to take down some of them.
  • Book Guy
    15 years ago
    One of the best ways to defend yourself from a potential battering by a bouncer, is simply to inform several people, during your many visits to a club, that you frankly aren't embarrassed about the fact that you go to strip clubs. One of the biggest ways that "security" manages to intimidate their victims, is with the fact that many people who do get beat up or have some money extorted from them, don't want the publicity of the fact that they were AT a strip club at all. To the contrary, if you're a regular, and they know you're not married, and they know you're a civil libertarian who is all into announcing that sex ought to be free and public all the time, and they know that you don't have the type of job where your activities at a strip club would be problematic for your employment, then they probably can figure out, that you'd be willing and able to sue, if you survived the beating.

Of course, that tactic might prevent you from being beaten up in such a way that you could sue, whereas other people might survive the beating but because of embarrassment still couldn't sue. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't beat you up in such a way that you couldn't sue because you were dead.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion