tuscl

Providence strip club hosting job fair

Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:09 PM
Providence strip club hosting job fair By Associated Press Thursday, March 19, 2009 [view link] PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Here's a job opportunity you won't need a new wardrobe for. A Providence strip club trying to take advantage of the state's floundering economy is holding a job fair on Saturday, looking to fill 25 to 30 positions - from managers to waitresses to exotic dancers. Tom Tsoumas, one of the owners of the Foxy Lady nightclub, said people are desperate for jobs, especially in Rhode Island, where the unemployment rate has soared to double-digits. Tsoumas said he expects to be “shocked by the quality” of his job applicants since people who might otherwise look for more conventional jobs could be more interested in his business during the economic downturn. Article URL: [view link]

13 comments

• mreef
    15 years ago
    I like the comment from the guy who wrote "I had a girlfriend who danced at Cheaters some years back"... Cheaters? Did the girls used to dance there some years back? They don't do much dancing these days.
  • lunabird
    15 years ago
    The thing is about this article is if the market is so bad people cannot recieve jobs then who is paying the strippers? In Michigan the jobs are down and the girs are lucky to make 200 on a saturday night, which isn't terrible... but isn't really that great ether.
  • MisterGuy
    15 years ago
    Sounds like the infamous Foxy Lady is getting desperate for employees...it's about time...everything's waaaay too expensive at that club from what I can remember from a long while ago...
  • Book Guy
    15 years ago
    I think that it's a publicity stunt (and a pretty smart one, since the AP picked it up) designed to get Foxy Lady in the news, not necessarily designed to get Foxy Lady better or more employees (though they wouldn't complain if that also happened). I'm still looking for the turn-over point in this economy, when the desperation and low employment out there, lead to the fact that my interests and markets become favorable to me. My income and spending potential haven't really changed recently. Doesn't this mean that I should slowly but surely be able to get more for the same price? More hot chicks dancing? Or, more of the same quality chicks, but for lower price? Or, more of the same quality chicks at the same price, but giving greater services for that price? Or ... Hmm. Haven't really seen it yet.
  • how
    15 years ago
    The Pelosi-Reid economy (founded January 2007), now facilitated by a like-minded executive branch, is causing great suffering. Tragically, they want that so people might turn to them for the solution to the problems they cause! More tragically, many are oblivious to the ploy of increasing dependency on central government.
  • mreef
    15 years ago
    Yes, definitely good PR, it showed up on the front page of CNN tonight: Strip club fair offers solution to skimpy market <[view link]> Although most of the dancers I've talked to have said business has been way off and much slower.
  • MisterGuy
    15 years ago
    "The Pelosi-Reid economy (founded January 2007), now facilitated by a like-minded executive branch, is causing great suffering. Tragically, they want that so people might turn to them for the solution to the problems they cause! More tragically, many are oblivious to the ploy of increasing dependency on central government." And the complete lack of any "personal responsibility" for the Regime that started this mess in the first place (the Bush Regime that is) continues...too bad no one is buying it... As for "ploys", how about the Right-wing ploy of running up HUGE federal debt & deficits to the point where the federal govt. can no longer effectively help the states & localities out, which leads to cutbacks in state & local govt. spending (like police & fire). It's called implementing a strategy of "smaller govt." through the backdoor, since they can never get it implemented through the front door of course!
  • how
    15 years ago
    MG, you can fairly blame the former pres (not a fiscal conservative) for not vetoing every bill sent by Pelosi and Reid from January 2007 through January 2009, but it was absolutely liberal economic policies that have caused the economic troubles. And yes, liberals in government absolutely want to increase dependency of individuals on the government. The solution is term limits for congress. And as for "running up HUGE federal debt," the new pres has outpaced all his predecessors combined, in amazingly-rapid fashion.
  • MisterGuy
    15 years ago
    "but it was absolutely liberal economic policies that have caused the economic troubles." It's too bad that there's absolutely ZERO evidence that this is true, and plenty of evidence to the contrary. "And as for 'running up HUGE federal debt,' the new pres has outpaced all his predecessors combined, in amazingly-rapid fashion." LOL...sure, he'll get some blame for some of the increases in the federal debt that occur on his watch, but the pint is that if the GOP had managed the economy like Clinton did...we wouldn't be in this mess with the federal budget in the first place! GWB took budget surpluses almost as far as one could see in 2001 and turned them into budget deficits as far as one could see, period.
  • how
    15 years ago
    Clinton deserves zero credit for the Reagan boom. Clinton almost destroyed it. His first two years scared people so much that they gave the congress over to Newt Gingrich. Newt and company balanced the budget, while Clinton said it could not be done until after his second term. Newt's congress wrote the balanced budget, Clinton signed it, and somehow Clinton is to be credited? Only by non-thinkers who do not live in the real world... Meanwhile, Clinton lied about the state of the economy during his last two years, handing GWB a recession, which was then amplified by the attacks that changed the world. But GWB's policies revived the economy, until Pelosi and Reid took over in January 2007. GWB did spend way too much, and can be blamed for a lack of fiscal discipline. But it is inarguable that conservative fiscal policy (supply-side) works, and liberal fiscal policy (demand-side) fails.
  • minnow
    15 years ago
    BG hit the nail on the head about this being a publicity stunt. I recall an instance where a local newspaper did a writeup on "OMG, A Stripclub in THIS Neighborhood" on Friday. Sat. night, there was a line waiting to get in, and a higher number of obvious "sidewalk gawkers" compared with other places nearby. Returning to club several months later had a more "normal" crowd level
  • MisterGuy
    15 years ago
    "Newt and company balanced the budget, while Clinton said it could not be done until after his second term." Nonsense, analysis done by the CBO indictates that GOP Congressional efforts during the 1990s actually *prolonged* the period of time before the federal budget was balanced at the end of Clinton's term. The main driver in the fact that the federal budget was balanced came from the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 in August 1993, which passed Congress without a single GOP vote. That Act cut taxes for 15 million low-income families, made tax cuts available to 90% of small businesses, and raised taxes on the wealthiest 1.2% of taxpayers...sound familiar?? [view link] "Between 1981 and 1992, the national debt held by the public quadrupled. The annual budget deficit grew to $290 billion in 1992, the largest ever, and was projected to grow to more than $455 billion by Fiscal Year (FY) 2000." [view link] "Meanwhile, Clinton lied about the state of the economy during his last two years, handing GWB a recession, which was then amplified by the attacks that changed the world." Nonsense, GWB knew exactly what he was getting into when he took office after being *selected* by the Supreme Court, and his first set of tax cuts for mostly the wealthy in 2001 did NOTHING to improve the economic situation of the USA. "But GWB's policies revived the economy" ...only if you call one of the most jobless "recoveries" in USA history a real economic recovery that is. "But it is inarguable that conservative fiscal policy (supply-side) works, and liberal fiscal policy (demand-side) fails." It actaully the exact opposite when one looks at the history of what the two policies yeild in this country. One policy yields HUGE inbalances in the federal budget & wider disparity between the rich and the poor ("supply-side"). The other policy balances federal budgets and reduces the inbalance bewteen the rich & the poor ("pay as you go"). History is very, very clear on which policies work better in the long run for this country...
  • mreef
    15 years ago
    Many want RI strip club jobs at door, not on stage March 21, 2009 PROVIDENCE, R.I.—Scores of people have applied to work at a Rhode Island strip club -- but the vast majority don't need to show any leg to get the job. Providence's Foxy Lady held a job fair Saturday, seeking to fill about 35 positions for dancers, masseuses, bartenders and bouncers. But The Providence Journal reports the vast majority of the more than 150 job seekers were men looking to work at the door -- and most of the women said they were looking for work that didn't involve taking their clothes off. Foxy Lady co-owner Tom Tsoumas (SOO'-muhs) says a recent promotion to cut prices has helped the club regain business lost due to the bad economy, forcing it to hire more employees.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion