tuscl

Off topic. DVD Players

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:23 AM
I have two programs for burning DVD's. Neither of which will play in my brand new Sony DVD player. Gave one to one of my girls. It would not play on her $25 WALMART player [view link]'s will play. Any body know of a brand that will play burned DVD',s?

6 comments

• robofan
    15 years ago
    What type of DVD burner do you have. I'm no expert or computer geek but I know that there are 2 types of DVD burners. There is a +R and there is a -R and when you burn DVDs you have to use the right kind of blank DVD for your burner either +R for a +R burner or -R for a -R burner. I have a +R DVD burner and have found that the brand disk you use can also make a difference. I use Verbatim DVD+R blank disks and everything I burn works in any player. I have tried other brands in the past and had mixed results. Memorex was the worst brand I used. None of them ever played in any device even in the burner itself. So the only advice I can give you is to make sure that you are using the right type of disk for your burner and that you try Verbatim disks they seem to have the highest success rate at least for me. DVD's seem to be way more temperamental than CD's.
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    Sounds more like you failed to "finalize" the DVD.
  • Tucker40
    15 years ago
    I second Clubber's note if it's a +R or -R you need to finalize it. The RWs you typically can play without finalization (and really shouldn't because you can't rewrite it).
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    Both burners tell me that the burn was successful and used to play in my old DVD player. I checked the instructions that came with my new Sony DVD player. It said that it would only play "Commercial DVD's". I think that the manufactures have found a way to block burned DVD's.
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    shadowcat, I can only tell you what I've experienced. Now I've not made a DVD with a burner, rather copied from a VHS tape or from my DVR. Those will play on my Panasonic unit that recorded them, but not on any other.
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    shadowcat, I should add, they will not play on other players without "finalization". I do that, then they play.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion