tuscl

Angels . . .

I visited the club yesterday late afternoon after not having gone in awhile. The club was packed with dancers who outnumbered customers just barely. Lots of security, but friendly. I took the last available parking space or otherwise I probably would have headed for the RolLexx instead of walking a half block. Music started out comfortable in that it wasn't ear splitting---just difficult to have a nice conversation. Soon it became just ear splitting as too many more customers arrived.

As I said the club was filled with dancers. Some whales to be sure, but mainly just average type women---most probably not even real dancers. The super hot was rarer than ever with none really making the cut. A couple of nines one of whom really wasn't interested in giving dances---she just wanted to hang with her friends----dancer and customer. A very nice person who will come to chat briefly---she isn't a friend, btw. For the most part my dancer buddies were completely gone either cause they've gone to different clubs or retired or just weren't working that day.

I bought some dances and generally mileage wasn't even an issue---it was excellent as always. One dancer did get upset when I readjusted myself (painful not to, btw), but at the end wanted to do a VIP-----I just wanted to be rid of her.

In the good old days before the government shut down all the clubs but Angels along W. Dixie, I would have had a couple of quiet clubs at min. to enjoy. The dearth of clubs forces a one-size-fits-all and pretty much commands loud clubs to keep the customers moving----doesn't matter if the dancers complain or the customers complain. The club due to its government monopoly can dictate to the dancers and with the customers it doesn't make sense to make it too cozy when the club is filled---need to encourage 'em to leave if new customers keep showing at the door. Of course, it isn't all gravy----the government could shut Angels down tomorrow and the owner does get enough threats which need to be taken seriously if he wishes to be allowed to remain open.

3 comments

• Dudester
    16 years ago
    Funny you should bring up the subject. Twenty years ago, the Houston Chronicle ran a four page story on what it was like to be a dancer at Ricks. Back then, Ricks was a quality place where the dancers got free gym memberships, the girls received tuition assistance (and required to have a certain GPA). In 1996 HPD Vice tried to shut down Ricks, but it backfired badly when cameras showed the cops groping the girls then arresting them for lewd behavior (11 cops lost their jobs, 10 more were reassigned).

In 2000, Ricks moved out of it's longtime established place (retaining ownership of the location-now a "urban club"). It was about this time that Ricks went public on the NASDAQ.

A year ago, I visited Ricks (before I joined this site). Two of the girls were Ricks standard, the rest, weren't (I was surprised when a dancer verbally gave me a menu of her services).

This morning I was in a waffle house just down the street from Ricks at closing time. Two of the nastiest skankiest whores walked in after finishing their shift at Ricks. They actually worked the tables like they were still in Ricks. I was really surprised how Ricks went from a Rolls Royce to a Yugo. I guess it's about the shareholders.
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    Hi Dudester,

Angels was always a dump; but quiet. :) But, the government "thought police" had a huge negative impact on the stripclub experience in South Florida, imo.

The Trap was a very different type of nice club. Regulars who came all the time, imo, were generally real gentlemen. Endless LOVE of America talk even as the clubs along W. Dixie were under government attack. I heard again and again that what the government does along W. Dixie has NOTHING to do with The Trap or our supposed freedoms. The government works for us and wouldn't dare attack The Trap. I'm sure those old timers still LOVE America (if they're still alive that is) and don't see how their indifference to government attacks against the W. Dixie clubs ultimately destroyed their community stripclub. :(

• Book Guy
    16 years ago
    Classic story of public ownership -- previous to going public, the organization can keep careful hold of its management and really micro-control many subtle but very important decisions. After going public it's nothing but expand-expand-expand, and major choices can either be a disaster or not, and knowing which company is which on the NASDAQ is much more about finding out who is running it this week, than anything else. Rick's stock story is the same as Tucker or a number of other American institutions -- though getting public shares out there means more money for expansion, it also means letting loose of previously tightly held reins.

The stock market allows, more, for rather non-vetted speculation than anything else. That's not a sane foundation for any economy, and certainly not for an entire governmental system. "Hope it works. Here, try this ..."
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion