tuscl

Cell phone phenomenon

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 8:21 PM
The comment in a thread below about whether you'd want your daughter to be a stipper got me thinking about something that happens a lot in my area. I am curious if this is happening everywhere in the country. The kids in our area schools all have cell phones and regularly send each other pictures. Plus a lot of them have myspace or facebook accounts. It turns out (I've learned this from my kids, and I do not believe they are lying) that a lot of the girls send pictures of themselves either naked or sometimes even engaged in sex acts. A particular picture can spread like wildfire through the school. Only the girls seem to do this, not the guys. This is happening as early as middle school. Is this happening in your area? What do you think is causing it? Why would these girls want to send naked pictures of themselves to countless strangers? I am trying to think of anything analogous to this happening in the pre-internet era (i.e., when I was a kid) and I cannot. Girls did not (at least not where I lived) strip off their clothes in front of large groups of guys. Does this just represent a change in technology (it is possible to do something that was not possible before) or a change in attitude?

15 comments

• MisterGuy
    16 years ago
    Kids, in general, don't realize that there are consequences to their actions. There is nothing new there. There are plenty of pictures out there on the Internet that can come back to haunt plenty of people. Technology and general stupidity on the part of kids are crashing together to cause this stuff. "Girls did not (at least not where I lived) strip off their clothes in front of large groups of guys." You never went to any spring break events I guess...too bad...you missed out, and no, I'm not just talking about "Girls Gone Wild" or what has been going on during Mardi Gras parades for a loooong time. :) I do agree that people are way less uptight about being free with sexual topics and acts, but we still have a long way to go IMO.
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    The neighbor kids say it is very common. The girls like to be ogled and show off especially if it is indirect and nothing further is demanded or requested of them.
  • ozymandias
    16 years ago
    Two things: (i) easy celebrity (ii) the Ho-ification of America I am not at all surprised! O.
  • njscfan
    16 years ago
    Misterguy: It may be an age difference (I think I am older than you) but when I was in middle school none of the kids went away on group trips for spring break. That was a strictly college age event. But today middle school girls are sending shots of their pussies to the boys. That is new.
  • CarolinaWanderer
    16 years ago
    Boy, makes me wish I were a kid again!
  • Book Guy
    16 years ago
    I read something recently about inner-city school kids engaging in blowjob "play" rather than sex because "it's not really sex" to them. The boys all compare about which girl gives the best blowjob, the girls compete to try to suck golf balls through hoses, and so on. And this is among eighth graders, or even younger. Now THAT makes me wish I were a kid again! I didn't experience that until I had a Master's Degree ... :( ...
  • shadowcat
    16 years ago
    BG: You have a Masters Degree and can't get and hold a job. That is fucked up. You can run circles around my mind with your knowledge but I am the one making 100k a year plus Social Security benefits and I only had 2 years of college. I do not want to classify you because I don't really know you. I have heard of and seen "over educated idiots". I sincerely hope that you find your place in this world.
  • Book Guy
    16 years ago
    ROFL: Shadow, you're right on the money. The market out there doesn't necessarily reward educational level or high levels of mental ability, you're right about that! I've found that, what little I know of courtrooms, really excites me. I'm going to law school in the fall, so maybe that will work out for me. I think that people who are too bright (or too ADD) to find great interest in typical work (perhaps, simply, because it's too easy or routine for them) quite often have a hard time finding a high-paying career, simply because they (we) can't stick with it long enough to get over the utterly preclusive humps of idiot-bosses and Christmas parties. There are bright people who get over those humps; but for me, without much emotional intelligence, the problem wasn't an inability to "work" the marketplace or find a niche; the problem was my inability to "get" why I was never part of the "in" crowd who ... actually ... got paid money. That, and hating the work I was doing because it was so mindless in the first place. I don't have a TRADE education (which, to me, is an oxymoron: education is about enlightenment; training is about work) so I didn't have a specific skill-set or marketable persona to peddle. Nor do I think most office jobs in most fields SHOULD have a limited "skill set." I'm as good at Excel or allocation of assets as the next bright guy; but he might have a CERTIFICATION in Excel. But, getting a job is one thing. Getting a blowjob is entirely another. Why did you bring up my earning potential at all?
  • shadowcat
    16 years ago
    I have always enjoyed what I considered to be honest posts from you. Some times way over my head but still entertaining. Just trying to be friendly.
  • Book Guy
    16 years ago
    Shadowcat: OK then. I'll talk and you pay. :)
  • arbeeguy
    16 years ago
    We are way off the topic that NJSCFAN started, but I will chime in about "trade education". Yes, it IS AN OXYMORON. One of my fond memories is a woman in her thirties who had earned a BA and MA in English, could NOT FIND EMPLOYMENT, and enrolled in a community college to learn a trade (not education, but nevertheless learning took place) which had employers standing in line waiting for the graduates. It's really not uncommon. In the olden days, higher education was mostly for the children of rich folks, and everybody else worked in jobs that did not require anything beyond high school -- if that. Back to the topic of why teenage girls may be ciculating naked photos of themselves -- they probably have seen the famous Brittany Spears pussy photos. That may well have added fuel to the fire.
  • mmdv26
    16 years ago
    This discussion morphed into a curious bent. Maybe these girls who are taking pics of their coochies are practicing for their future vocation of dancing in a (nude) strip club. It would be like "trade school" for strippers. Perhaps at a young age, they understand that a girl with reasonable looks and body can make a living "showing it off". More likely that concept is part of female genetics. I have friends with advanced degrees who have abandoned their original direction, and ended up in a much lower paying job situation. Many reasons for that. I also know people who I think have significant personality/mental disabilities that are making $200k a year legally. Among adults, I'm sure there is a correlation between higher intellect and higher wages. Among middle-school girls, I suspect there is a correlation between pics of their "stuff" and popularity. Among dancers: "nasty always makes more money"!
  • Book Guy
    16 years ago
    With this I agree: ""Perhaps at a young age, they understand that a girl with reasonable looks and body can make a living "showing it off". More likely that concept is part of female genetics. "" With this I don't: ""Among adults, I'm sure there is a correlation between higher intellect and higher wages."" :)
  • arbeeguy
    16 years ago
    Yes, there is a CORRELATION between intellectual ability and income. Not a perfect correlation of course. Cheeze, Book Guy -- smarter people ON THE AVERAGE make more money than dumb people.
  • Book Guy
    16 years ago
    Yeah yeah ... we agree. I'm just bein' persnickety. :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion