tuscl

Hearing protection in strip clubs

Wednesday, August 21, 2024 7:12 PM
I've had a few recent experiences where these DJ's are just outta control and the noise is intolerable. I mean with me I can always leave immediately but these dancers and waitresses or work in these places all night, I mean damn that is an OSHA complaint. I look at a phone decibal monitor I have and I know those aren't entirely accurate but I get readings of 115-120 which is crazy.

Do you guys bring hearing protection into these clubs? I'm gonna start. Even just always bring those foam ones you can find in the drug store. I do have shooters ear pro and I also have a big set of Peltors (which might look a little ridiculous but it would be nice passive aggressive fuck you to the DJ which I kinda like the thought of) but the point some of these clubs where you literally have to shout your conversation to the person next to you, it's just downright not healthy.

14 comments

• MyPoorLifeChoices
    a month ago
    I use noise cancelling ear buds if people are too loud or the music sucks. If I like the music I like the loudness.
  • pedrome30
    a month ago
    Damn, 115-120 is outrageous. It's impossible to have a conversation and you will almost definitely have hearing damage. A live outdoor concert is only 95-100 decibels.

It would be pretty funny to have big Peltors on your head and give a nod to the DJ in a passive-aggressive way. Wearing big over-the-ear protection might make you look a bit like you are on the spectrum and sensitive to sounds (though everyone should be sensitive to 115+ db).
  • TheeOSU
    a month ago
    Muddy, totally with you on this!
  • motorhead
    a month ago
    Agree. I had one dancer get really pissed off at me once - she said something. I could not hear her so I figured it was “wanna dance”. I simply said “no thank you” and she went off like I called her a fat pig. And yelled something like “ I didn’t ask you for a dance!”
  • rattdog
    a month ago
    120 decibels? in 1976 the who played somewhere in the uk and measured at 120+?

platinum plus in memphis was notorious for this type of shit on saturday nights. i had to be resourceful and plug my ears with napkins and toilet paper.
  • mogul1985
    a month ago
    ZZ Top was also known for LOUD. 120db is out of control, especially if you are near a speaker it's even worse.
  • minnow
    a month ago
    Always used foam earplugs in clubs for many years. If you're on the road and forgot to pack, drugstores (Walgreen's, CVS, etc) that stay open late are your friend.
  • shadowcat
    a month ago
    All of the Platinum Plus clubs were like that. The owner required the DJs to play at high decibels and so many beats per minute. He wanted to create a party atmosphere. At 2PM? The review were full of complaints but if he saw them he didn't care. I once wore gun range ear plugs to the Columbia SC club in protest but it did no good. The dancers loved the plugs.
  • misterorange
    a month ago
    Industry standards for home alarm systems say it should be at least 85db. Mine is rated at 105 and trust me, that fucker is loud as hell. Damn crook wouldn't even hear me shouting how he's about to get a serious case of lead poisoning. 120db would be more in line with a commercial/warehouse alarm.
  • Dolfan
    25 days ago
    It's not a 100% correlation, but many of the clubs that do that also do a lot of other things I don't like. So mostly when I encounter it these days I just leave and go somewhere else. When BT Pompano first opened back up after their remodel it was absolutely unbearable. Many times I left because it was so bad.

I'd consider earplugs, but it just seems a bit too silly and I'd rather just leave. If it really is as unpopular as I'd hope, the clubs will figure it out. If the rest of the customer base likes it, they'll succeed and I'll just find a place that caters more to my preferences.
  • gammanu95
    25 days ago
    Just an excuse to get her closer, in your lap, the better to chat with
  • Array
    24 days ago
    Ah, reminds me of the days of my innocent youth.

Me: Gee, it’s awfully loud in here.

Dancer: Come with me.

[We went to a remote and dark corner]

Me: Thanks, that’s much better!

Dancer: I do head for 200 and sex for 400.

Me: Excuse me!?!?!?
  • rickdugan
    24 days ago
    ===> "All of the Platinum Plus clubs were like that. "

Agreed and it sucked. The only way to talk to a girl was to yell into her ear. It was unbearable.

The only club I ever experienced which was even worse was the Clubhouse in Dallas, which has since closed. It was brutal. The owner was an old rocker who believed in keeping the volume at concert level. I stopped in multiple, but each visit was short because I just couldn't stand it for long, which is a shame because Texas nude BYOB clubs are definitely my jam.
  • rickmacrodong
    24 days ago
    ^Rick it could be your unusually high testosterone levels, giving you unusually strong hearing abilities that made you extra sensitive to the volume there.

You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion