tuscl

Without reservation

gammanu95
My casual drinking is your alcohol poisoning.
Wednesday, August 7, 2024 3:13 PM
Serena Williams was not able to be seated at Paris Restaurant for which she had no reservations and which had no empty available tables. What is a celebrity to do? Well go on X of course, blast the restaurant, and claim she's been denied entry at better places.

Serena Williams denial at swanky Paris restaurant was 'absolutely nothing personal,' staffer says

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/serena-wi…

Am I wrong for thinking she comes across as an entitled cunt?

25 comments

• Puddy Tat
    a month ago
    Yeah she came off really entitled here. But how many celebrities aren't like that?
  • skibum609
    a month ago
    She appears to be exactly what she is: someone who has and always will use racism as a crutch.
  • TheeOSU
    a month ago
    I can't read the article but I gathered enough information from the comments to get the gist of it.
    It's a shame that someone with her fame and money still expects more at the expense of others. If you look up humble or respectful in the dictionary I doubt you'll see her photo.
  • JimGassagain
    a month ago
    Sure, because we all know Fox News is unbiased the framing of this article is totally on point (insert sarcasm). By the way, I’ve been turned away from many restaurants, I mean buffets….

Bacon!
  • motorhead
    a month ago
    I would say she definitely feels entitled. And she probably thinks it was racism. And her little protege Coco Gauff seems to be following Serena down that entitlement road too.

But there’s been a number of stories over the years where white PGA golfers never got a courtesy car for the week. So it’s really an entitlement issue not a race issue.

The restaurant worker says he “didn’t recognize her”. Who can blame him. Serena had so much surgery, Botox, fillers, injections, skin whitening - she’s going to look like the reincarnation of Mike.Jackson
  • shailynn
    a month ago
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ley…

To those concerned - IMO this is a neutral viewpoint of the incident.
  • oscarlomax
    a month ago
    This is more of a case of expectation because of someone's status. Serena is a nationally recognized figure and has worked hard to be an elite athlete. Many athletes of the same status would have the same expectations. I also understand if there really was no room because of prior reservations why the establishment would tell her there's no room. I wonder if the owner had a conversation with her or if because they didn't recognize her, just shined her on. "Who is this black woman demanding stuff at my restaurant" A real conversation in a calm manner might have avoided all the public outcry. Being a black person myself, I can understand Serena's instinct on that account. It's not just, "Those people always play the race card." There's actual experiences in one's life that point to that as a possibility. Non-melinated folk need to keep that in mind. The other side being a celebrity is also in play. We, the global public, have elevated the ego of our icons. So finger pointing is probably not the answer either. We created celebrity so we must accept some of the blame.
  • rattdog
    a month ago
    so she finally faced a minor hardship that people 2-3 levels under her status level sometimes have to endure. awwww. well i guess now that's retired she now has plenty of time to go to X and vent away.
  • datinman
    a month ago
    It is an undeniable fact that famous people do get special treatment. I'm sure if she had her agent/manager call ahead, even by an hour or so, the restaurant would've accommodated her. To show up unannounced and then get pissed off that you didn't get favored treatment is definitely entitled behavior. But that's where we are in today's society. Do what I want or I'm going to slam you to my millions and millions of social media followers.
  • skibum609
    a month ago
    People see and believe exactly what they are already pre-disposed to see and believe. Just because a sole person or a larger group sees and believes that something is happening, still doesn't mean it is really happening. Incredibly one-sided thinking.
  • rickmacrodong
    a month ago
    Oscarlomax thats not entirely correct. Anyone of any race/religion gender etc can be discriminated against in a restaurant or other setting. In some cases that also includes the “non melinated folk” you mention. Anytime youre interacting with a different race gender etc there’s a chance they could discriminate against you. In fact its even possible someone could discriminate against someone who is the same religion or race gender as them.
    And in this case the person involved was a server. There are numerous servers of a variety of races whom may have at some point in history discriminated against someone
  • rickmacrodong
    a month ago
    Government segregation takes far too many resources to enforce- and it brings the potential for the government itself to began discriminating. So the best thing to do is self segregate- there wont be any more racist incidents if the different races no longer interact with each other. Then millions of people can perhaps engage in more constructive discussion online and no longer need to constantly post about different racial incidents that occurred on that day.
  • Studme53
    a month ago
    Ha ha - if you find that worthy of complaining to millions of people about, you’ve had a petty good life.
  • misterorange
    a month ago
    They should have found her a seat and then jacked off on her Escargot.
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    In cannot remember the last time I was able to walk into a upscale-fine dining establishment without a reservation and expect to be seated. I have one, little-known gem eatery that I never tell anyone about which is my go to when I want to dine out without a reservation. The newest chop houses opening around here can have their lunch and dinner reservations booked out for weeks. Never in a million years would I expect to walk into a Paris restaurant during the Olympics and be seated without calling ahead. Much less bitch on X that I'm being discriminated against.
  • twentyfive
    a month ago
    Typical post by the OP a person who isn’t in his circle complains about something or someone and he immediately rushes to point out the race or religion of the person, typical of his bigotry.
  • WiseToo
    a month ago
    Now for the truth.

The rooftop restaurant "Le Rooftop" mentioned by Serena Williams does NOT accept reservations. The management only requires a minimum consumption (food or beverage) of 60€ (about $65) per person to guarantee access to the Rooftop.

The empty tables belonging to the "L’Oiseau Blanc" restaurant do require a reservation AND a bank transfer prepayment to finalize the reservation of 100€ (about $110) for lunch or 200€ (about $220) for dinner, per guest, as a guarantee. Also, there is a "chic and elegant" dress code in effect for this restaurant.

Serena Williams didn't need a reservation because there are no reservations for the rooftop restaurant. She arrived when the restaurant was busy and was told to wait her turn. If they had recognized her (and she greased some palms) they probably would have moved her up to the head of the restaurant queue. She knew there were no reservations and was pissed they didn't recognize her so she could get preferential treatment.
  • skibum609
    a month ago
    ^Ah she's a pompous, self-important asshole.
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    The actual eatery seating policies are unimportant, what's relevant is that Serena was insulted enough to go on X and start pounding the race card.

Similarly, Kevin Bacin donned a fat suit and makeup to go out as an average guy in LA for a day. He said he was shocked at how much it sucked to wait in line at Starbucks, be unable to get seating at restaurants, be jostled, bumped, and pushed past on the street. At least he has the class to acknowledge his celebrity privilege.
  • twentyfive
    a month ago
    ^ Triggered Certified Weirdo
  • motorhead
    a month ago
    Not to necessarily pick on Serena - but the broader question is how do celebrities, especially those who were not brought up privileged, develop such an attitude of entitlement. I saw the Will Smith movie. Serena should be more humble.
  • rattdog
    a month ago
    ^ego. once they put all the efforts into their craft and eventually wind up at being one of the best at what they do they feel that they've earned the rights to act like 24-7 prima donnas. that mindset was already wired in place during the younger years.
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    Rattdog may be right. Similarly, online influences real or wannabes, will demand freebies and entitlements from businesses in exchange for tags and not getting bad-mouthed online. It seems to have become intrinsic to that culture.
  • JimGassagain
    a month ago
    Celebrities try to stay relevant by using their platform to promote social justices, often overzealously. Since she’s past her career she had to do something to stay in the spotlight👀.

If it was me I’d say “I’m gonna eat that!” And then they’d proceed to throw me out.

Bacon!
  • rickthelion
    a month ago
    Lemme ricksplain something about privilege to you damn dirty apes.

Most of you know that the Lion King is loosely based on my life. I grew up privileged but left that for some time to party with a meerkat and warthog. The musical actually distorts some of the shit I did with my buds, but that’s a good thing because you don’t want to see a frickin’ meerkat orgy.

Anyhoo, I digress.The point is that I grew up with all of the creatures of the world going all “ooo you’re so great Mr. King” and then I was just some weirdo hanging with a perverted meerkat. That experience taught me humility. Also taught me what the symptoms of meerkat chlamydia are. I mean….Timon had a coke-fueled party and I may have done things with the meerkat hookers…or the chlamydia developed spontaneously…can’t really remember anything.

Back to the bigger point. When I was a prince everybody was impressed by me but when I was poor the only way I could get a female meerkat to blow me was by promising her coke. Ultimately, I think Serena should have offered the maître d some coke for a table. That might have worked. ROAR!!!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion