tuscl

Your favorite non PL thing to do

skibum609
Massachusetts
Tuesday, July 30, 2024 5:12 PM
Disregarding sex, women and strip clubs for a second, what is your favorite thing to do. Just one, not a list. Mine, at least to me, seems obvious. I love skiing. I love it more than anything, including weed and sex, well, not when I was 37, but yup, at 67.
Why? I have no idea. I was a hockey player back in the day, pre youth hockey and arena access so we played pond hockey. Snow either had to be shoveled off the ice, or depending on temperature, ruined it completely, so I grew up anti-snow.

In January 1981 I went for the first time. Imagine rolling off the top bed in a bunk bed and hitting the floor 40 times and you get the idea of how beat to fuck I was after day 1, with shitty rental equipment, terrible snow cover and no lessons. By noon the next day I had purchased my first set of equipment and never looked back. Skiing touches my soul. It makes me get up at 3:00 a.m. on a -10 Sunday morning, drive 3 hours, ski 5 and drive 4 home. Yeah, excitement cuts an hour off the drive. Most people stop skiing moguls and jumping off things by age 35-40. I may not be as aggressive as 30 years ago, but I skied bumps in March and jumped a 22 foot ledge, sticking the landing. I think about skiing every day when its 93 and I am laying on a float in my pool. I love it.
What is your favorite thing to do?

43 comments

• Mate27
    2 months ago
    You forgot to list your all time favorite thing, rage typing with one hand and jacking it w/the other. Well I suppose you can categorize that as your favorite “PL” thing….
  • azdd
    2 months ago
    I learned to ski (barely) many years ago, but was too worried about falling to improve my skill, so at some point I just decided it was boring and haven’t been back I like 20 years.
  • Puddy Tat
    2 months ago
    Strip clubs are not that high on my list of hobbies. I recently came back to it after about a year break and it's all right but not what it used to be.

Other favorite hobbies:
    Writing (Finishing one fiction book with ideas for a sequel and a memoir. As far as time spent goes, this is by far my greatest.)
    Investing (I'm a stock hound and it goes hand in hand with my day job. Also looking at rental properties.)
    Jiu-Jitsu (Just restarted after a long time off and fixing some old injuries.)
    Weightlifting (Nothing like some good tunes and a big old pile of iron.)
    Volunteering (We all need to give back.)

Got out of traveling during COVID but that will return. Of course this provides PL opportunities too.

I'd say strip clubbing ranks below all of those in priority order.
  • gammanu95
    2 months ago
    Snorkeling and primitive camping. I need my land and sea fixes. Each attracts me because of an element of danger, but I can influence but not control it.

Snorkeling, I have seen sharks and stingrays. I think of Steve Irwin and never swim over a stingray. One shark bumped me to check me out and swam off, in Hawaii. The dive master said it was a Tiger Shark and I was the luckiest man he ever met. I like to get over to John Pennekamp State Park for snorkeling at least once a year. If you cannot swim, they have a glass bottom boat for looking at the coral. I hear that a lot of people get seasick on it, though. My bucket list is to snorkel in the Indian Ocean, like Indonesia.

Primitive camping is exactly what you think it is - pack in and pack out. I'm not a survivalist. I learned how to start a fire with a bow drill, but I always carry a firestarter and kindling. One of the biggest reliefs of my camping career was about 15 years ago when the NPS began allowing you to carry firearms in all National Forests and Parks. I have seen bears, but I always afraid of having one come after me. About three days in, without a shower, you begin smelling less like a person and more like the environment. That's when more of the wildlife starts coming around in the early morning. I've woken to a herd of elk or wild horses next my tent. Unfortunately, there are more and more visitors to the National Parks and Forests each year, and I feel like we have to trek further and further each year to get away from them. One time, in Kentucky appalachia, we almost became lost. Our local friend who was pathfinding was convinced his compass was broken, claiming that he knew what the hill on our left was and the compass was wrong. He was the local talent, so we followed him. A day later we knew we were good and lost. My best friend, who had excelled in land navigation in airborne infantry, pulled the map away from him and used his own compass to figure out where we were. He worked it out, but took another day and a half to get us back to where we wanted to be the day before. The Kentucky native took off on his own, saying we were wrong and would be fucked, but he double-backed and tracked us to our camp without saying anything. The lesson is always trust your tools, not what you think you know.
    This August and September we are going to Zion. Our plan is to see the college coeds wading the Virgin River before they head back to university, then take off in the mountains for four days or so.

Apart from the element of danger and environment outside of my control, I love snorkeling and backcountry camping because I should be able to do both for as long as I am able to swim and walk. My trips may become shorter, but I should never lose the ability to do either- barring some catastrophic injury. Either one makes it very easy to forget about politics, work, personal struggles and forces you to be present in the moment and inhabit yourself. That's hard to find.
  • Studme53
    2 months ago
    This may sound boring, but I like to jog. I used to say “run”, but my pace has slowed. Usually about 5 or 6 miles. When it’s warm I like to run on the beach or the boardwalk and cool down in the ocean. Greatest feeling in the world, outside of sex.
  • Studme53
    2 months ago
    This is a good thread. Hilarious Mate27. Hopefully your post was just good natured ball busting lol.
  • rattdog
    2 months ago
    gambling for sure.

horse racing at saratoga during the day followed by baseball at night. and nfl on sundays just 5-6 weeks away.
  • jaybud999
    2 months ago
    I like finding neglected mid to high level mountain bikes, bringing them back to life.....and either giving them away, or selling them at "cost."

@Puddy
    "Just one, not a list."
  • crosscheck
    2 months ago
    Poker. Or sports card collecting.
  • Electronman
    2 months ago
    Golf. The sport is surprisingly difficult to master but good shots happen often enough to keep me optimistic.

Also, it is a good form of exercise for an old man. I usually walk and very seldom ride in a cart.

It also affords an opportunity to enjoy nature. I prefer woodlands courses over residential development courses.

I also enjoy the competition and camaraderie with friends and a cold brew or two is a great way to top off a good day of golf.
  • CJKent_band
    2 months ago
    @skybum609

I will play along and answer your question.

Q: What is your favorite thing to do? (Disregarding sex, women and strip clubs for a second)

A: Teaching Math, to show my students that math is in humans DNA for understanding the world around us.

Math is an important foundation for logical thinking and problem-solving.

I like to witness those a-ha moments when the light bulb comes on in my students eyes and they get some knowledge that nobody or nothing can take away from them.
  • Mate27
    2 months ago
    Stud, if only what I stated was embellished could it be considered busting one’s chops. Unfortunately we find it all too true and stranger than fiction.
  • skibum609
    2 months ago
    STUD -Mate27 is simply an aids infected prick. Just a smarmy little douchebag who failed at everything in life and is mad that on my worst day, my life is 5x as good as his best day. There is nothing good natured about her at all.
    RAT - Saratoga is incredible. My favorite racehorse is buried in the infield and on Travers Day I will pay homage to her, as I do pretty much every year.
    CROSS - Any Saturday night, well 45 times a year a buddy has a game going. Tournament with a $60.00 buy in, followed by 1/2 no limit.
  • minnow
    2 months ago
    Play chess ? (a la Gene Wilder's reply to Cleavon Little in "Blazing Saddles")
    Befitting my s/n, it's swimming.
  • twentyfive
    2 months ago
    Poker is fun, I like standup paddle boarding, and swimming, and of course I look forward to my bi-weekly golf game, same group of guys now going on 6 years.
  • gSteph
    2 months ago
    Playing my acoustic Martin guitar with others.
    Three years in (thanks covid), I'm finally good enough to sorta, kinda play along with most easier songs.
  • motorhead
    2 months ago
    “Teaching Math, to show my students that math is in humans DNA for understanding the world around us.”

Have to say I love that comment. Nothing drives me more crazy than hearing “why do I have learn [algebra, geometry, Calculus] when I will never use that again in life. But then I can’t tell you the number of times people on the shop floor have asked me to calculate elementary things like how many gallons of water does my pool hold or how many bags of mulch do I need to cover an area.

And why do so many freshman business students complain about Finite? They are introduced some mathematical concepts they’ve never seen before and freak out
  • Mate27
    2 months ago
    As we all can see, rage ruling is all the rage in SkiDumb’s life full of anger. Quite ironic for a guy who claims to smoke ghost train. Probably angry he became half the man compared to all the names he drops on here. The guy should probably carry around a dust pan to sweep them up and recycle for his favorite “non PL thing to do”. Oh, correction I guess that is another PL thing he does….
  • Book Guy
    2 months ago
    I have a buncha hobbies and past experiences that might have been considered hobbies. One that might be interesting to y'all is, I do figure-drawing, generally from live models. (Yes this can be very much like attending strip clubs. Naked girl poses in front of staring customers.) I generally have used dry media (graphite pencils or sticks; charcoal; "drawing sticks" of various brands; or hard pastels, usually just one color) and produce monochrome drawings (or two-color, white and black, on mid-toned paper; once in a blue moon, at most, "trois crayons" style, three-color). I recently began to try watercolor painting. I don't really have the patience for it, it requires too much sitting still to re-work and to fine-tune with ever smaller detail, and there's not much opportunity for alla-prima production, you have to plan a painting ahead. So I'm not sure I like it, though I did spend through the wazoo for the initial outlay, especially tubes and tubes of paint in various pigments. The study of pigment information, the whole materials science of it, is an interesting hobby in its own right. Anybody want to argue the merits of Phthalo Green over Viridian?
  • Puddy Tat
    2 months ago
    @motorhead - I've never needed to do anything beyond Algebra 1 in my daily life, but professionally I regularly use the concepts of, and occasionally the numbers of, Algebra 2, trigonometry, differential and integral calculus. But more than that, the logical and creative skills required for a mathematical proof or even those AP problems I went blind on, have been ridiculously valuable.

Of course CJ is a progressive so he must have some gaping chasms in his mathematical knowledge.
  • skibum609
    2 months ago
    I appreciate the fact that everyone has diverse interests that mean a lot to them. Oops, wrong. Everyone but pathetic little Mate27 who listed no interests other than being envious of me. ty lil bitch.
  • TCabot
    2 months ago
    Board games. Particularly historical ones.
  • iknowbetter
    2 months ago
    Fishing in the Florida Keys. I also like skiing, but being a Florida Man, I’ve never skied enough to get very good at it, and now my knees are about worn out.
  • misterorange
    2 months ago
    I have two hobbies. The first: motorcycling. Most of my life I rode crotch rockets, most recently a Yamaha R6. In 2017 I was ready for something new. I went to look at the Ducati Monster. It was awesome. I absolutely loved it. But I didn't even sit on it. I decided at 50 years old, it was time I grow up. So I went to Harley. Took the Fatboy for a test ride. The guy asked if I wanted to ride anything else. I said, "Nope. Just write it up." Best decision I ever made.

The other hobby is twofold. I've enjoyed target shooting my whole life, since joining rifle team in high school. Yeah, back then my urban NJ high school had a rifle team. Honed my skills throughout college ROTC and 8 years of National Guard Infantry training. As a civilian, I got more into handgun shooting and I'm pretty good at it, although I don't often compete except in casual non-sanctioned fun matches.

Well, the two-fold part is that about 10 years ago I got into hand loading. I've got a rather extensive set-up and I load 9mm, 38, 357 mag, 357 Sig, 40, 44 mag, 45, 50AE and for rifle I load 5.56 and 308 WIN. Being able to load my own ammo has come in very handy with the crazy shortages and outrageous pricing since Covid.

However, I get asked a lot, "How much can I save by reloading?" and I always say if you get into it ONLY to save money, you're making a mistake. It's a labor of love. It's a tremendous amount of work and requires incredible patience and attention to detail. The initial investment is large. You've got to enjoy doing it, and you've got to be very serious about it. It ain't the kind of thing you do with a buddy while bullshitting and drinking beer, unless you want to blow your face off, either at the bench or on the range.

Drinking goes hand in hand with clubbing, not so much with my other two hobbies. Lol
  • skibum609
    2 months ago
    TC --Risk? IKONOW - we're off to Marathon in November.
  • Puddy Tat
    2 months ago
    @misterorange - .50 AE, wow. Most handloaders seem to do it because they want specs that factory ammo doesn't. I haven't shot in a while so I've got a lot just occupying space. I'm not particularly picky.

Of course this fucking state just outlawed new sake of semi-automatic rifles and shotguns. More liberal democratic governors trying to out-stupid one another.
  • misterorange
    2 months ago
    @Puddy - Yeah, a few years back I bought a Desert Eagle 50 cal. It's ridiculous. The most impractical gun, all but useless for self defense, it's so goddamn heavy and hard to rack the slide. But it's fun as hell at the range and gets a lot of attention. Lol
  • Studme53
    2 months ago
    Ha ha - Only thing I know about the Desert Eagle is from the Mcmurty song Choctaw Bingo:

And he stopped off in Tushka at the Pop knife and gun place
    Bought a SKS rifle and a couple full cases of that steel core ammo
    With the Berdan primers from some East bloc nation
    That no longer needs 'em
    And a Desert Eagle, that's one great big old pistol
    I mean, fifty caliber made by bad-ass Hebrews
    And some surplus tracers for that old BAR
    of Slaton's
    As soon as it gets dark, we're gonna have us a time
    We're gonna have us a time
  • Book Guy
    2 months ago
    I used to do Olympic target shooting with the rifle club at a Uni I attended. I did OK, and it was nice that the more I practiced the better I got (which is supposed to be the case with everything, but definitely was NOT for a lot of other things I've tried). Haven't been involved with shooting since, it's too damn much to undertake. You have to own the equipment, get the license, store it and be attentive about cleaning and maintenance, and then to use it you have to carry it across town to some location where there's a target range. Too much planning ahead! I would probably enjoy it if I did get involved in it but I would also probably forget to schedule my time at the range, then get there without something, etc. etc.. I need it all in the house at a moment's notice.

Also, my eyesight underwent typical presbyopia since the time I was attending Uni. I have no idea how shooting with eyeglasses works.
  • GoVikings
    2 months ago
    for me its live music/going to concerts.

i've seen paul mccartney, prince, metallica, roger waters from pink floyd, steely dan, the eagles, kanye west, lauryn hill, slick rick, big daddy kane, and others that i can't think of at the moment
  • Alexfox
    2 months ago
    Hiking/backpacking/rafting in southern Utah and northern Arizona. There’s enough weird and beautiful scenery in the area to make you feel like you’ve visited planets across the galaxy.
  • Huntsman
    2 months ago
    Hunting, fishing and shooting. They all get me outdoors and away from crowds. Most of my fishing is a matter of finding remote lakes and streams. Most of my shooting is on my own shooting range. I feel like I can finally relax when I’m outdoors and mixing a focus on a fun task with taking in the flora, fauna, weather, season changes, etc
  • rickthelion
    2 months ago
    This thread illustrates something this rick calls “The Skifredo Dichotomy”

Fredo often starts threads where he sounds like a reasonable ape. Talking about hobbies, food, music, etc.

This rick will even cut him slack on the obvious exaggerations like the stuff about meeting someone named “Bond James Bond” while skiing down K2. Yes, the part about Fredo and Bond defeating the Chinese Army strains credulity but…let’s just say that this rick understands that when your a divorce lawyer that fills out forms in crayon you gotta have a rich fantasy life or you go frickin’ insane.

But then he slips into the one-handed rage posts. Fredo…you are so close to being a good ape. All you have to do is avoid rage posts while jackin’ it. That isn’t a hard thing to do. Fredo…be the best Fredo you can be…be a Fredo that doesn’t jack off in rage. ROAR!!!
  • rickthelion
    2 months ago
    To encourage the Fredo, who claims not to read this ricks post but obviously does, I’ll bite on this thread. Gamma Apes snorkeling post is definitely a good hobby.

But stingrays aren’t that frightening. As a lion few things frighten me, but even normal apes shouldn’t be frightened. Some of my best buds are stingrays. I have it on good authority that the Croc Hunter Ape was seen putting his thumb up various animals buttholes in the area of the fatal sting. My theory is that the ray simply didn’t want a Croc Hunter thumb in the butthole.

Anyhoo…you wanna know a truly frighten creature to encounter while snorkeling? I’ll tell you. It’s the crown of thorns. First off, there are no echinoderms that can successfully wear a stylin’ suit. Think about it…have you ever seen a sea cucumber in suit? I don’t think so! How about a sea urchin? Nope! Trust this rick when he says no suits on echinoderms.

The inability to wear suits makes echinoderms surly. But you give a surly echinoderm some venomous spines and it turns into a true asshole. The Croc Hunter should have put his thumb up some echinoderm butthole except the crown of thorns would have killed him more painfully than the frickin’ stingray that just didn’t want to be molested.

Regardless, you get my point. Roar!
  • crosscheck
    2 months ago
    TC - Axis & Allies?
  • drewcareypnw
    2 months ago
    Playing guitar. I own about 25 and have been in gigging bands since I was 15. There is always a new puzzle to solve or ability to develop. Songwriting is the ultimate puzzle for me. What chords tell what story and what words fill in that story? What story will people see themselves in? What references will warm people’s hearts?

I also like muting retards on tuscl: based on antics in this thread I’ve added mate to the turd team of rickmacrodong, gammanu, and cjkent, all top 40 muted members. Banished to the phantom zone! You can keep talking but nobody hears you.

https://tuscl.net/top40?id=11
  • Mate27
    2 months ago
    Good riddance to another rage typing loner, wanna be tough guy. Gotta be all that estrogen soaking in via osmosis in his household. Drew Carey was butt fucked as a young man and recounted how it affected his adult life, so maybe that’s why you chose that handle?
  • skibum609
    2 months ago
    ^wah said the impotent little boy, wah. You do understand he cannot see what you posted, right stupid?
  • georgmicrodong
    2 months ago
    Read
    Video games
    Riding my bike
    Camping
  • rickmacrodong
    2 months ago
    Drew its crazy you drew the like at me asking what your super perverted friend is into when you stated he has to tone his perversion level down a notch in order to go to dirty extras clubs.
  • TCabot
    2 months ago
    @crosscheck - yes, but no. Think the counter insurgency (COIN) board games, Twilight Struggle, and things like that. Also like my share of “Euro” board games (Catan, Power Grid, Scythe).
  • crosscheck
    2 months ago
    ^ I used to play Catan and Axis & Allies with friends from college. I still occasionally play A&A long distance against my college roommate by phone. If you've never played the 1940:Europe and 1940:Pacific versions, they are awesome.
  • Manuellabore
    2 months ago
    Running (more like jogging now) while listening to audiobooks. Try to do it every morning unless weather or work commitments interfere. Usually get in 8-9 hours a week. Used to listen to NPR until the news got too depressing. If you have access to a public library, you should have access to a virtually limitless supply of free audiobooks on the Hoopla and Libby platforms.
    I also like to solo hike (not climb) 14ers in the western states, but haven't had the chance to do that for many years
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion