tuscl

Paris Olympics 2024

Hank Moody
I'm fine. I'm disgusted with my life and myself, but I'm not unhappy about that.
Thursday, July 25, 2024 4:00 PM
Any chance we can all root for the USA? We had a not great performance in Tokyo 2020. We took home the most golds and the most medals overall, but generally underachieved. We’ve got Sha’Cari Richardson back (tested positive for THC in 2020), Simone Biles has her head right, basketball teams are strong even though the world is catching up. Men’s soccer held strong in first half but got smoked by a good French team 3-0 in the second half. Even the highly divisive women’s soccer team looks different. No more Rapinoe and the team is nearly all new from the players who kneeled during the anthem in some friendlies in 2015. We should reassert our athletic dominance over the world this summer.

94 comments

• Studme53
    a month ago
    I love this country, but I don’t always root for Americans at the Olympics. As a former runner, there’s international track and field athletes I admire greatly. Some American teams and athletes don’t appeal to me.
    It’s sports/entertainment. It’s totally inconsequential if Americans do well or not. I could not care less about the medal count.
  • PAWG_Patrol
    a month ago
    I hope to watch some Olympic events at a club that's all I know for sure
  • skibum609
    a month ago
    Zero interest in the Olympics.
  • twentyfive
    a month ago
    Looking forward to multiple American Gold Medals
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    Fair point Stud. While there are athletes against whom I root when they are playing for their pro or college teams, if they put on a USA jersey I’m rooting for them.
  • RonJax2
    a month ago
    I'm looking forward to watching some Americans kick ass in Paris.

I watched some of the trials and there's some talented athletes representing Team USA, it should be a fun time!
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    Not sure if he’ll get to run, but Maryland has the youngest ever USA male track Olympian in Quincy Wilson, who is 16 years old. Born in 2008. Damn. He’s a sprinter in the relay pool.
  • RonJax2
    a month ago
    ^ Did Quincy actually get selected for the 4x400m team? I recall watching the trials and he was just on the bubble.
  • rattdog
    a month ago
    clark and a few others should be on that female olympic squad.

i'd root for the men's squad if lebron wasn't on it. why this sentiment? i can't stand his game.
    -practicing the masterful art of flopping
    -4-5 step travels that the refs never call
    -constant complaints of being fouled
    -not running back on defense
    -hauling more 3 pt line bricks
    did i leave anything else out?
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    I don’t think they’ve made selections on the relay teams. I think they evaluate how fresh the athletes are and can modify them almost right up to the event for injury, etc. Maybe they know and have projected starters/alternates? Not sure.
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    LeBron is a perfect example. Fair to hate him. I hate Duke players but if they put on a USA jersey I’m rooting for them.
  • doctorevil
    a month ago
    If they root for the U.S. , I’ll root for them. If any of them pull the take a knee stunt, or wear Palestinian or Hamas flags, etc., then fuck ‘em.
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    I'll only watch the opening ceremonies, I never really cared about the competitions. They have recently lost all meaning by forcing women to compete against men.
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    That’s fair Doc. Gamma, do you not know that men to women trans athletes are NOT allowed to compete in the Olympics?
  • misterorange
    a month ago
    I wish them well, but I mostly watch the winter Olympics. Curling, Biathlon, Bobsleigh, and of course women's figure skating. Couples skating too... I like when the dude holds her up by the pussy. Lol
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    I’m on the road getting ready to head for airport and have the women’s France v Hungary Team Handball game on the tv in the background while I catch up on work. Fantastic, competitive back and forth game and I can mostly follow it even though I don’t understand the dribbling/steps rules. lol
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    Hank, I think you're wrong

https://phys.org/news/2024-07-transgende….

https://www.thenation.com/article/societ…

The second article states there are no transgender women competing, then names two trans women competing in track and soccer. Which is it?
  • crosscheck
    a month ago
    I like the Winter Olympics more, but I'll be watching often in the evenings.
  • DrStab
    a month ago
    There are some smoking hot AA women competing for USA. I’ll be watching.

Wouldn’t mind Lebron and the old crew getting crushed.
  • wld4tatas
    a month ago
    Love the Olympics. The greatest event bringing the world together every two years.
  • minnow
    a month ago
    doc evil +1 Lmk who pulls any of those stunts.
  • Mate27
    a month ago
    I’m considering going to the Olympics when they are around my area, however I think I’ll wait until 2034 in Salt Lake City to avoid the craziness of LA during the 3028 summer Olympics
  • misterorange
    a month ago
    @gamma "The second article states there are no transgender women competing"

No, you just don't get it. Article says there are no "trans" women. Then it says there are two "trans nonbinary". TOTALLY not the same thing. Lol

Quit misgendering the freaks, dude.
  • misterorange
    a month ago
    It's a female that they say is male pretending to be female but in actuality is a male that thinks it's female to the extent they were female at birth. Get with the program.
  • DandyDan
    a month ago
    I not only don't care about the Olympics, I don't even care about betting on them, either.
  • motorhead
    a month ago
    I’m all in on Team USA but Alicia Schmidt could persuade me to root for the Germans

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/jWY7MPE…
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    The trans athletes at the Olympics are people who were born female and now identify as nonbinary, as in their pronouns are “they”. Quinn has been on the Canadian women’s soccer team for years, played in the World Cup in 2019. 2015 too maybe. That’s allowed as there’s no competitive advantage. People who were born men, went through puberty and then transitioned to women are not allowed to compete in the Olympics.

The latter is a competitive advantage. Quinn and others like “they?” Who gives a shit if they compete? There’s no advantage.
  • Muddy
    a month ago
    @doctorevil right there with you.
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    Trinity Rodman’s (Dennis’s daughter) goal yesterday was so slick.

https://youtu.be/2_CYOVAZssY
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    Kneeling? We’re talking about kneeling? You won’t see any kneeling. I guarantee it. It’s been nearly ten years since the soccer team knelt during the anthem. There was permitted kneeling and a moment of silence before kickoffs by multiple countries in the 2020 Olympics I believe, but absolutely not during any country’s anthem. But you guys aren’t against free speech right?
  • misterorange
    a month ago
    "The trans athletes at the Olympics are people who were born female and now identify as nonbinary, as in their pronouns are “they”.

So "they" are not really trans? What are they, half-trans?
  • skibum609
    a month ago
    Lmao at the left wingers whining about free speech, when to these assholes you are always free to say anything they agree with and nothing more. Kneel, raise your fist, embarrass yourself, no one cares, as long as you fail in the olymics and disappear into the dustbin of history. The idea that pretend women aka trans of non-binary have no advantage physically is a lie. 100% lie. Nothing changes bone structure. Nothing changes increased size. Nothing changes larger muscles.
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    They are trans in that they don’t identify as the gender they were born with. It doesn’t give them a competitive advantage. I don’t care what someone calls themselves. It doesn’t affect me in the least. It also has no impact on the competition, which has always been the counter argument to letting trans athletes compete. It’s not hard.
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    I probably should’ve just posted it this way:

The trans athletes in the Olympics were born female and are competing as females. They took no testosterone or male hormones. What’s the problem?
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    It is true I have never bothered to learn the proper trannie pronouns because they are bullshit. There are men and women, and they may play dress up and pretend to be the other. Nothing changes their chromosomes.

So if those women are trying to look like men, have they ever taken male hormones, hgh, or testosterone? They are still women, competing against women, only they have gained muscle mass and bone density by taking substances which would otherwise be prohibited. If they were any thing but woke trrannies, they would be banned.
  • Puddy Tat
    a month ago
    I used to be a big Olympics fan, gradually lost interest over time. Not for any social justice reason, it just stopped being special. This cycle it seems like there's so much more going on in the world.

As for gender, it reminds me of this song.

"Girls who want boys
    Who like boys to be girls
    Who do boys like they're girls
    Who do girls like they're boys
    Always should be someone you really love"

- Blur, "Girls and Boys"
  • rickmacrodong
    a month ago
    Gammanu if a woman takes enough juice- she can surpass the muscularity of any natural man. This is easy to see when you look at some female bodybuilders. Their muscularity far surpasses any man who doesn’t also use hormones.

So the idea that if someone is born a woman, they have to be inferior to men athletically is untrue. They can actually surpass men if they use drugs
  • skibum609
    a month ago
    The trans athletes in the Olympics were born females and are competing as females. Ahh, so they ain't fucking trans. Thanks for playing. Big surprise people: Just because someone says they are something, doesn't make it true i.e. Donald Trump says he is a great businessman.
  • rickthelion
    a month ago
    ^
    True. Just because Skifredo says he went to the worst law school in the country doesn’t mean he did..

Wait…that one is true. ROAR!!!
  • JamesSD
    a month ago
    I'm excited about Men's basketball (and will be disappointed if the women don't medal). Olympics soccer is a joke with the best players sitting out. Women's gymnastics of course is a huge draw and I look forward to Katy Ledecky continuing her epic career in swimming.

All that said, I tend to follow it pretty passively rather than watching on TV
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    Do you mean men’s soccer is a joke? The best players aren’t sitting out, but I’ll give you that the eligibility rules are weird. It’s an under 23 tournament with an exception that each country can have three overage players.
  • motorhead
    a month ago
    Feed Celine Dion a cheeseburger. Please!
  • Studme53
    a month ago
    The Open Ceremonies, which my S.O. Insisted we switch to during lolls in the Phillies game (there were many) were the worst. It’s worse than the hype leading up to the Super Bowl. Hopefully the competition will be better.
  • rickthelion
    a month ago
    The thing I’d like to see in your Olympics is some good gladiatorial matches. Give two hairless apes swords and shields and let ‘em go after each other. Maybe put some unarmed criminal apes in an arena with some lions and tigers and see what happens (spoiler alert: some apes are getting mauled).

Every time I make these suggestions to the Olympic committee they write back and say “but the modern Olympics were inspired by the ancient Greeks and you’re suggesting some Roman shit” to which I respond “if you have such a hard on for the frickin’ Greeks you should include an assfucking event.” ROAR!!!
  • misterorange
    a month ago
    Didn't really watch the opening ceremony, but saw a few minutes of Celine Dion while at a bar. Was ok. This morning a saw on news that a portion of the ceremony was a big drag show mocking Christianity with a homo Jesus. Yeah, glad I missed that. I'm not religious at all, but for fuck's sake have a little respect. Imagine if they mocked the Prophet Mohammed that way?
  • wld4tatas
    a month ago
    I did some research on the trans topic and came to the same conclusion as Hank - there is not a single instance of a woman competing against a man in the 2024 Olympics. Anyone saying otherwise is peddling right wing lies and fear-mongering.
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    Laurel Hubbard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_Hub…

wld4testes is exposed for an ignorant liar, and a shill for woke leftists.
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    That was the most pathetic opening ceremony. I expected Paris, France to put on a show of pomp, luxe, and elegance to rival the visceral excitement of the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony. Instead we got an incomprehensible mess. What the hell do Lady Gaga and Celine Dion have to do with France. Does France have no performers from their own country to showcase? All of those dancers were completely out of sync and looking around to see what the other was doing (just like the Don's Secret Service DEI hires). The costumes were simply eyesores. Where are the French fashion legends? Louis Vitton is best brand they could highlight? Obviously, I did not care for the non-binary threesome and drag show, but I had tuned out by that time. I was really looking forward to France putting on a SHOW, but it looks like the Macron admin has turned over French culture to people who have no concept of elegance and excitement, much less what made France famous. Even the stick-in-the-mud teetotaling Mormons will do better in 2030. Not hoping for much from the Italians next time, they have food and not much else.
  • shadowcat
    a month ago
    I find it interesting that the surfing events will be held almost 10,000 mile away in Tahiti in French Polynesia.
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    I misread wld4testes post, where he specified 2024 (in the past tense, for some reason). His attempt at deception is noted, to his detriment.
  • wld4tatas
    a month ago
    ^ "competing" is present tense. Seems you can't get anything right. You're a dishonest right wing shill on this board, everyone knows it.
  • twentyfive
    a month ago
    @shadowcat
    I saw that the other day, that’s a really great place for surfing, and a gorgeous place to visit.
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    Great first half by USMNT. 3-0 so far v New Zealand. It’s an accepted part of the men’s game but the flopping still sucks to watch. The women can play without flopping. The men should be able to play through some contact. Definitely a foul on the US pk but our player went down on feeling the contact, not because of the contact.
  • rickmacrodong
    a month ago
    Misterorange well Islam is a minority religion. Also, they wouldn’t even have the freedom or legality to mock Judaism or the holocaust considering the anti semitism bill. It must be Israeli occupied territory since Muslims arent allowed to picture or mock Jesus.
  • motorhead
    a month ago
    Beach volleyball players in yoga pants? WTF!

Girls in skimpy bikinis is why I watch this sport.
  • Book Guy
    a month ago
    I don't dislike the eye-candy element of beach volleyball, of course, but I do really think of it as a bullshit sport. Right up there with canoeing and "Le Break" (break-dancing) -- I consider it stuff that's admittedly hard to do, but has been inserted into the Olympics as obvious gestures to one or another niche-market of equipment manufacturers for certain age-group demographics. Next will be Nintendo. Or cooking.
  • misterorange
    a month ago
    ^ Agree
  • wld4tatas
    a month ago
    My take on the Opening Ceremonies.

Unfortunately I only saw an hour of it, watching in a go-go bar lol. Huge credit to France for trying something different. Given a choice, I'd prefer the traditional stadium-only format but it was good to see something different. Lady Gaga was good and Celine Dion was great. I too wondered why they weren't featuring French artists. The only name I could think of was Alizee (a major French hottie 20 years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52kwqBMx…). The drag stuff was dumb and should have been dropped. The Team USA intro with Beyonce was OK... I recall The Rock did a Team USA intro a few years ago that was much better. Overall a decent start to the games.
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    Nice win by the basketball team today. I get that people hate LBJ for his complaining, his politics or because he’s not MJ. But to lead the team in minutes, assists and rebounds at age 39, when he already has gold medals and nothing to prove is pretty cool. He plays for the love of the game despite the additional miles on his body.

USWNT with a demolishing of a really good German team 4-1. This new generation of young women has offensive firepower that this team has been missing for a few years.
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    Could be a great couple days for the US:

Men’s gymnastics takes bronze medal after not having medaled in 16 years.

Women’s gymnastics takes gold. Back on top!

Men’s soccer is on the verge of coming back from getting thrashed 3-0 by France in opening game to being 15 minutes away from clinching a spot in the knockout games.

Women’s rugby has a new star and we are playing in the bronze medal game.

🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
  • skibum609
    a month ago
    Worst Olympics ever, starting with the disgraceful opening ceremonies. Should have had Allah nd Mohammed gang banging Mohammed's 9-year-old wife, instead of disgracing Jesus and the last supper. Woke is such bullshit. Check out how many athletes said fuck staying in the Olympic village and are staying in hotels because of the rooms, lack of air conditioning and the gross, progressive food.
  • Puddy Tat
    a month ago
    @skibum - if they even had an actor playing Mohammed, you'd see the banlieues of Paris burning right now. Of course, Islam is the anti-Western faith so progressives flock to it, even if they'd be shot for that opening ceremonies demonstration.
  • skibum609
    a month ago
    Sort of like gays for gaza. Middle East has been fucked up since before Christ was born.
  • rickmacrodong
    a month ago
    The real irony would be gays for Israel or Christians for israel considering israel kills more gays and christians in a few months than hamas kills in 10 years.

• Studme53
    a month ago
    Two men pretending to be women are being allowed to compete in the women’s boxing competition.
    I guess it will take some woman getting Kim Doo Koo’d before people wake the fuck up from this mind virus
  • rickmacrodong
    a month ago
    Islam being anti Western (whatever the implications of that are) has absolutely nothing to do with why progressives defend it. That’s especially laughable because Islam agrees much more with the right than the left, even the penalty for homosexuality some extremists believe in, is based off the old testament.

The reason progressives defend it is simply because its a minority religion, and most of its followers belong to minority races.

Whats crazy though, is the number of self proclaimed constitutionalists who don’t believe in freedom of religion, and/or want to vote to ban a religion thats almost entirely the same as Judaism and to a lesser extent Christianity.

Whats especially concerning, also, is that Judaism and its texts are astronomically more violent than Islamic or Christian texts, but you don’t see anyone calling to ban or restrict that religion.

So there isnt really any consistency on the left or the right it’s basically just people with their own biases, personal opinions, and their own favored races, religions, belief systems.

The right wants restrictions on freedom of religion… the left wants restrictions on freedom of speech… and both sides found some “common ground” when it came to israel and anti semitism interestingly enough…
  • Studme53
    a month ago
    Fuck the Olympics. I can’t watch.

https://twitter.com/fairplaywomen/status…
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    @moody hack: told you so
    Olympic boxer deemed to have male chromosomes wins fight in 46 seconds, opponent left in tears after hard hits

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/olympic-b…
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    Simone Biles took gold in the individual all around. Suni Lee took the bronze. Huge comeback stories for both. Not only did they both struggle with off “field” problems, Simone with the “twisties” but Suni Lee’s story of stalkers and kidney disease is heartbreaking. Look it up. But they both made mistakes on the uneven bars and came from behind to medal. Fantastic stuff. 🇺🇸

I’m trying to keep my posts here to sports. We have Stud’s other thread for the trans and other stuff.
  • TheeOSU
    a month ago
    Huh hank? It's in the paris olympics and boxing is the sport. How does it not fit?
  • Puddy Tat
    a month ago
    I want the USA to win but couldn't care less to watch it. Too much else going on in life.
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    OSU - I responded at length about boxing in Stud’s thread about it specifically. I didn’t feel the need to duplicate it. I’m not “closing the thread” or whatever champphilly used to do when his threads went sideways. I’m just holding out hope we can rally around our US athletes and not always talk about the things we hate.
  • TheeOSU
    a month ago
    Yes hank, I saw it after I posted here.
  • skibum609
    a month ago
    Finally saw something worthwhile. The Turkish silver medalist and his pistol were fulcking awesome.
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    There is really no importance or prestige to the Olympics. It's pointless. Cities spend billions of dollars or euros that could be used for public services to build single use facilities. The people who actually live there hate it. So no, the Olympics is an overrated waste of time. Unless the ladies start competing naked or in string bikinis. Just not the shot putters and discus curlers, please... the horror...
  • Puddy Tat
    a month ago
    ^ I used to think the Olympics were really cool, still root for team USA, now it's just a whatever. Didn't care before the woke shit either, now that element of degeneracy adds disgust.
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    USWNT through to the semifinals with a tough win over Japan. Another spectacular goal from Trinity Rodman.

Simone Biles with another gold, this one on the vault which was most impacted in Tokyo. Great comeback. Objectively the 🐐

🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    Katie Ledecky thing record for most female golds.

Incidentally (or maybe more importantly) the cameramen certainly have had a tendency to focus on attractive women in the stands. The work in the Brazil France soccer game has been outstanding.
  • wld4tatas
    a month ago
    Yes USA dominant again so far with 61 medals, second is France with 41. At the half-way mark France has already blown past their last summer games medal count in Tokyo of 33. Good for them.
  • motorhead
    a month ago
    The Communist News Network likes to rank the winners by only Gold Medal's won. But whatever weighted medal count one uses the USA wins.
  • rickthelion
    a month ago
    Although this rick certainly enjoys seeing his adopted home win the medals, I would like to see some medals go to my birthplace. Did you know that Tanzania has only won two medals in the history of their Olympic participation?

I’ve been writing home urging the lions of tha NC to organize a wrestling team. We’d kick the asses of any hairless apes that want to fight. Just like those good times 2000 years ago in the Roman Colosseum. ROAR!!!
  • wld4tatas
    a month ago
    This guy is incredible.
    24-year-old Swede Mondo Duplantis breaks pole vault world record for the ninth time in his career. Watch the video as he progressively works up to the new WR height of 6.25 meters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DigLvPl…
  • misterorange
    a month ago
    Whatever happened to that hot chick pole vaulted? I bet she rode lots of poles, and not just on the athletic field. https://steemitimages.com/p/BRWJ2XuBRXQx…
  • misterorange
    a month ago
    *pole vaulter
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    Michelle Jenneke might be my ATF. Not only was she the hottest thing in the stadium, but she won!
    https://youtu.be/LdexkdpkIgk?si=kz3WHnG9…
  • misterorange
    a month ago
    Gamma, you called it so you got dibs, but I'll gladly take the little Asian in red, right next to her.
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    USA coming up big in track and field the last few days to take the lead in golds over PRC. Big extra time win for USWNT to make the gold medal game on Saturday. Huge come back for men’s hoops from down 17 to Serbia to get to semis. Steph, LeBron and Embiid were huge. Women’s hoops is dominant. I hadn’t seen A’Ja Wilson play much though I knew her name. She’s pretty pretty pretty good.

🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
  • whodey
    a month ago
    At least one Olympian has gotten offered a big payday from a porn site based on the attention a certain part of their anatomy has gotten at the Olympics.

https://local12.com/news/entertainment/a…

Unfortunately it wasn't the pole vaulter that orange mentioned. I doubt any TUSCLers will be watching this one, but it us a hilarious story.
  • TheeOSU
    a month ago
    ^

WRONG! if cj sees that he'll be searching for that guy's contact info and begging for dick pics and a FTF meet up. He's ready to buy his ticket to gay paree! LMAO
  • Puddy Tat
    a month ago
    ^ That dude is NEVER going to face trouble getting laid as schlong as he lives, I mean, as long as he lives.
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    Actually, a lot of women know that sex with overly hung guys is not pleasurable as a man can be too big, which makes sex awkward and painful for women. If you have ever been with a "short canal" girl or a girl who was too tight, you know that it was not as good as with a girl with little deeper or less restrictive vagina. Now imagine that 99.5% of women are too short and too tight to take you balls deep.
  • wld4tatas
    a month ago
    > as schlong as he lives, I mean, as long as he lives.

I have to give credit where credit is due, that was a good one.
  • wld4tatas
    a month ago
    Great closing ceremony (from what I saw) with a surprise appearance from Tom Cruise jumping off the stadium roof. The guy is 62 ! Epic.

USA closed at the top of the medal count with 40 gold / 44 silver / 42 bronze for a total of 126, beating China which also had 40 gold but 91 medals total. Team USA bested their performance at Japan in 2021 (39 / 41 / 33 = 113 total).

Congrats to all the athletes and to France for hosting a great games. I'm pissed that once again I was too busy to watch more than a few hours.
  • motorhead
    a month ago
    The men’s 4 x 100 relay is an embarrassment. They haven’t won a medal since 2004 and was DQ’d this year.

Apparently they feel they can just put anyone out there and dominate without practicing handoffs.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion