tuscl

Meretriculate

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:03 PM
To deceive as does a whore does. [view link] To deceive or con as a prostitute does. [view link] To deceive as a harlot. [view link] To deceive as a stripper? :) My favorite stripper mereticulate is the GFE. A close second is the pretend undercount. Does anyone else have favorites or notables?

24 comments

• quimby
    16 years ago
    Jablake - I think that customers and dancers meretriculate each other on a regular basis (as do a fair number of lovers) and have since the beginning of time.. Its just better when each party keep the meretriculation on a funny, friendly basis... But look, these are pretty desparate times (you've heard me say that like a broken record)... So, It's no suprise that real life sometimes duplicates the old Reba McIntyre song... "Here's your one chance, Fancy, don't let me down...." (And I suppose that that is nothing new, either....)
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    Well, the girl claimed that she thought that's how it is supposed to be done. A whole unmixed unshortened song for $5??? She was a perfect 10. At Tootsies she would have been charging $25 for a pitifully short song. Do I believe her when she says she didn't know? I don't really care as long as she gives good service in the future. If she could work at Tootsies, then I believe she'd print money. The more experienced dancers will only do that with a dumb dumb or rookie or etc. But, an overcount is often fair game regardless sometimes if nothing more than to see if you have a pair. The $1 dances are for a full song PLUS. Hell, they (the low income or cheap patrons) don't want to be giving up that $1 or $2 without the dancer really working. Remember usually a customer like that really worked hard for his money and the dancers know that. And, they also know that it can be good business to showcase their wares or do charity work. Well, if the dancer is willing to do me for free why wouldn't she want a little financial help? (She may not see it as selling her body even a little or if she did it would probably be and how is that negative?) Especially, if I'm not willing to go downtown due to a fear that just seems absurd or stupid to her. I have a dancer who gives me "free," but she has a very different concept of free than I do. And, it causes problems because she either wants a straight customer relationship or a real relationship. BTW, her "free" services are definitely different than her paid services. She claimed she could provide the same regardless of cash--that paid GFE is no biggie. She failed, but her performance was very good. If you pay, then you get X. If it is "free," then you get Y. I would rather pay and get Y. That Y option doesn't seem to be on the table as a paid option any longer although she is one of the best at delivering it; imo--the problem seems to be the relationship is muddled--thanks to her! Of course, she says that I shouldn't be treating her like a girlfriend unless in fact she is a girlfriend. I've explained too often to her that it is fantasy!!! She says a person can take fantasy too far. And, NO "free" even really "free" isn't a wonderful idea, imo.
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    Oops. The above post was a mistake. I attempted to post and ran into technical difficulties.
  • arbeeguy
    16 years ago
    This word "meretriculate" bugs me. It appears to be an adapted combination of "meretricious" and "matriculate". Meretricious is an adjective describing flashy deception as typically practiced by prostitutes. To matriculate is to enroll or register. Hard to see how pasting these two words together makes any sense for the meaning implied. If meretriculate were a REAL word it would be in a REAL dictionary.
  • MisterGuy
    16 years ago
    I think he's speaking his own language, but remember...this is someone who apparently didn't even know what a dove was...lol...
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    matriculate (v.) 1577, "to admit a student to a college by enrolling his name on the register," from M.L. *matriculare "to register," from L.L. matricula "public register," dim. of L. matrix (gen. matricis) "list, roll," also "sources, womb" (see matrix). The connection of senses in the L. word seems to be via confusion of Gk. metra "womb" (from meter "mother") and an identical Gk. word meaning "register, lot." Evidently L. matrix was used to translate both, though it originally only shared meaning with one. [view link] Meanwhile meretriculate sports the prefix "mere" which used to mean mother or lake. :) Of course, words do change there meanings over time. "Mer" also catches the meaning "to do for pay." "L[atin] meretriceum: prostitute." [view link] I also thought of merchant due to the "mer" prefix. merchant c.1200, from Anglo-Fr. marchaunt ([view link]. marcheant, Fr. marchand), from V.L. *mercatantem (nom. *mercatans) "a buyer," prp. of *mercatare, freq. of L. mercari "to trade" (see market). [view link] Thus, I don't really see an "adapted combination of 'meretricious' and 'matriculate'." But, what the fock perhaps i just needs a bit mo elusaiddation. :)
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    "I think he's speaking his own language, but remember...this is someone who apparently didn't even know what a dove was...lol..." But, I finally learned after conducting extensive research that happily involved and included face-2-face interactions with 2 "real" living and practicing ecdysiasts. It appears that in the context used "dove" didn't refer to peacenixs or past acts of diving or any bird of the family Columbidae or marijuana or crack cocaine or a tender person or etc. No, no, no. It had a far more nefarious meaning. To wit: Federal Reserve Notes equalling TWENTY United States dollars. In this nonce edukation was financially debileating or is debilitating? :)
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    BTW, I have another language project concerning the meaning of the word "dog." In the context and tone it has been repeatedly uttered I assume it is a slang colloquialism meaning friend or good friend. Recently: Strippers call me dog. Neighbors call me dog. Even the degreed and erudite have, I believe it twas a mere slip, called me dog. The auto mechanics called me dog just yesterday! Is this a fallout from MV? Some sort of tribute to a battered and abused QB? To top this "dog" silliness off one neighbor wanted me to find her mutt dog and another wanted to give me a $2,000 dog. Maybe "dog" is all about the economy going to the dogs??? And, then there is the stripper who can talk for hours about her little dog. Or perhaps this has something to do with the current U.S. wars (for us)? Maybe it is a revolt against sesquipedalians? Anday Rooone where de hell are you dog, when I need you? :)
  • MisterGuy
    16 years ago
    Once again "meretriculate"...not a real word apparently. MAtriculate (emphasis again mine) is a real word. Spelling is not your strong point apparently, which is fine...because I have the same problem sometimes. Elucidation anyone? You really don't have a clue, do you dog? Check please...
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    Care to define dog? :) Care to define elusaiddation? :) Care to define meretriculate? :) I assume you're joking about confusing meretriculate with matriculate. And, you let the dictionary decide for you what is and isn't a "real" word? :)
  • MisterGuy
    16 years ago
    People, anyone, can't just make new words up and pretend like there're real words, period. But you keep raging against the machine there...whatever works for you I guess...it's definitely a theme with you. Again "elusaiddation"...not a real word...elucidation...real word. If you want to have fun and try & look cool mispelling words like you're from the hood, knock yourself out dog. Dog - A friend of the same sex, usually male...derived from the members of the Dogg Pound. A guy who hits and runs, as in he tells girls what they wanna hear to get in their panties and as soon as he gets the pussy, he's gone...he's unable to commit to one woman. What you call a close buddy if you are a male. A person that takes off and leaves you, be they male or female.
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    Well meretriculate allegedly goes way back to at least 1611 and was used by George Chapman in May Day. I doubt it was used just once, but who knows. Another word is meretricim meaning prostitute. And, then there is meretricate meaning to play the whore. Meretricious has two meanings: 1. Of or relating to prostitutes or prostitution. 2. Tasteless gaudy, making a false show of being attractive. [view link] Of course, dictionaries come in different sizes. I think the OED is something like 27 volumes, but I could be wrong it might be even larger! Are these "real" words, supra, listed in the complete OED? My guess is absolutely. But, again I could be wrong about that. Regardless, I don't subscribe to the notion that a dictionary determines whether a word is "real." So if your concern was that I was making up meretriculate, then that isn't the case. Did Mr. Chapman make it up in 1611? I doubt it, but that is always a possibility. Yes, I made up elusaiddation. My own little neologism to the best of my knowledge. :) Excellent definition of dog. :)
  • MisterGuy
    16 years ago
    Again..."meretriculate"...apparently not a real word..."meretricula" and "meretricious" are. You're using too much poetic licence (along with a focus too much on the dead language of Latin maybe) I believe..."meretricim", "meretricate"...ugh. You need to be careful when using Wikipedia as well, since that website can be edited by just about anyone. Psychotic eh? Makes sense to me... My Mom calls garbage "garby", which isn't a real word...she just made it up in some kind of silly talk that she only uses around friends and family. I don't think that she should go to jail for using that kid of word, but it still doesn't make it a real word. The funny part is...she's a retired reading teacher...lol... I'm getting off this merry-go-round now...
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    Again meretriculate is a real word. And, NO it isn't my poetic creation or neologism. Here is the link for meretriculate, again (not the Wikipedia link): [view link]
  • MisterGuy
    16 years ago
    I read that link before when you cited it...so some guy used it *once* apparently almost 400 years ago...yea, and?? I'm going to stick with the psychotic label...you said it first...lol...
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    You think it was just 1 guy who used it once? If that is the case, then very impressive, imo, that it found its way into any dictionary. Some people may have library access to the OED complete and it would be interesting to see if meretriculate is listed along with its etymology. BTW, I doubt all sources for the word that were found are listed; rather only the most prominent early finding along with notable changes in meaning if any. Of course, I'm not an etymologist----definitely a neologist, though. :) One of my creations actually made it into the Miami Herald at the very least. YAY ME!!! :) I do get a little excited over the occasional victory.
  • MisterGuy
    16 years ago
    Thanx for proving my point...as was pointed out to you several days ago by someone other than me..."meretriculate" is apparently NOT in any dictionary, period. LOL...
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    It isn't in any dictionary? Did you check this link out: [view link] Or, are you claiming the Endangered English Dictionary: Bodacious Words Your Dictionary Forgot isn't a "real" dictionary? What about the The Origins of English Words: A Discursive Dictionary of Indo-European Roots? Are you claiming this dictionary also isn't a "real" dictionary? Besides, I do believe (could be wrong, though) that it is in full OED. I don't have access to that service and besides a listing in a dictionary doesn't determine whether a word is in fact a word. A word can be in use for some time before it gets listed.
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    Sort of neat that a search for the word meretriculate on Google gives a TUSCL listing showing this discussion. See: [view link] Didn't think google was that good. TUSCL, might be getting some clout!!! :)
  • MisterGuy
    16 years ago
    "Bodacious Words Your Dictionary Forgot"...that sez it all doesn't it? "besides a listing in a dictionary doesn't determine whether a word is in fact a word" Like I said before...keeping raging against the machine...it's apparently what you do best...lol... What's more interesting and *relevant* is that a search for "meretriculate definition" yields NO results, period.
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    Well, in this instance the "machine" agrees with me. There is no requirement according the "machine" that a "real" word be listed in a dictionary. :) I mean you make this nonsense up. Truly. My neologism that was used in The Miami Herald sure as hell wasn't listed in any dictionary and it is doubtful it ever will be; but you never know! :) It was a damn good word for the situation and conflict of the moment. Now somewhere you invented some nonsense that a "real" word has to be listed in a dictionary! Absurd. Totally, 100% absurd. And, the "machine" doesn't even pretend to claim ownership of "real" words.
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    word (wûrd) n. 1. A sound or a combination of sounds, or its representation in writing or printing, that symbolizes and communicates a meaning and may consist of a single morpheme or of a combination of morphemes. [view link] One of definition from the "machine." LOL! New words are created all the time. And, the dictionary may lag for years before it even discovers the new word. Some times the word wouldn't even appear in a dictionary if it was considered "obscene." With the thought police running rampant, I wonder if "racist" words can appear freely all over the world. Oops!!! Not in a "real" dictionary thus the racist or obscene words aren't "real" words according to the all knowing authoritarian MisterGuy. :) Tell you what. President Clinton or some authority figure uses mereticulate and boy I's bet you be jumping on de bandwagon lickey split! You impressed by sports heroes? Maybe I can slip a $5 to one of them to use the term mereticulate and then presto in your mind it may magically morph into a so called "real" word. :)
  • MisterGuy
    16 years ago
    Sounds like the Miami Herald needs to raise it's literary standards...lol...it shouldn't be listening to self-described psychotics. And, of course, TheFreeDictionary (my favorite online dictionary BTW) doesn't list "meretriculate" as a word...LOL!! "the dictionary may lag for years before it even discovers the new word." By 400 almost years? I don't think so. "You impressed by sports heroes?" Nope, but thanks for asking...
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    Don't worry there has been an absolute run on the word mereticulate. I'm 100% confident that assuming it isn't already securely listed in the complete OED that within the next 3 - 5 years it will be. :) You know how it is? Words can supposedly die and then spring back to life like in a terminator movie; yeah they might have a slightly different spelling or meaning, but they're still terminator. :) Heaven forbid TheFreeDictionary doesn't have every word in the English language! Yes, I agree with you about The Miami Herald. Exceedingly low standards.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion