tuscl

OT- Best-scripted movies

gammanu95
My casual drinking is your alcohol poisoning.
Friday, April 19, 2024 8:49 PM
"Tombstone" was on cable TV last night. One of my all-time favorite movies. Dana Delaney has only ever looked better in one role. Perhaps Val Kilmer's finest work. This is one of the most underrated movies ever made, and an incredible western. The script is one of the best written ever. Everyone knows "I'm your Huckleberry." I think the movies I have to stop and rewatch the most are those with the best scripts and most quotable lines: Tombstone The Outlaw Josey Wales The Blues Brothers Jaws (after they get on Quint's boat) The Dark Knight Glengarry Glen Ross

14 comments

• shailynn
    3 months ago
    I’m thinking of movies I watch over and over and over again that often don’t get mentioned as the best that everyone recommends. Heat Michael Clayton The Killer (2023) Shutter Island There are others but I’ve seen these at least a dozen times and never get tired of watching them.
  • BabyDoc
    3 months ago
    “Life of Brian” by Monty Python
  • azdd
    3 months ago
    Love Tombstone! Filmed in my neck of the woods, southern Arizona, film sets at Old Tucson and Mescal. One of Wyatt Earp’s descendants has a small role in the film. And oh yeah, LOVE Dana Delaney in everything!
  • Studme53
    3 months ago
    Yes - Tombstone is epic. Another great western - Coen brothers True Grit with Jeff Bridges terrific as Rooster Cogburn, Matt Damon as the Texas Ranger, and Josh Brolin as the bad guy. The young girl, Hailee Stringfield was great too.
  • Studme53
    3 months ago
    Also can watch Ronin, Mad Max Fury Road, and Brad Pitt WW2 tank movie Fury every time they’re on.
  • Studme53
    3 months ago
    Also agree with Jaws, but not until Quint appears. I love how he’s all manically energized and in-charge as they’re leaving port and heading out to sea. Perfect.
  • Studme53
    3 months ago
    Before Quint, Jaws looks lame and totally dated.
  • ClubFan81077
    3 months ago
    A few movies that I think have awesome dialogue, just off the top of my head: Pulp Fiction Groundhog Day Clerks Full Metal Jacket Forrest Gump
  • Muddy
    3 months ago
    I would say almost anything from the Cohen brothers.
  • azdd
    3 months ago
    For scripting, I like Aaron Sorkin as a screenwriter. He wrote The Social Network, which is just fascinating to me. The dialog is classic Sorkin, crisp and smart, much like The West Wing, also his work.
  • jackslash
    3 months ago
    Chinatown Fargo
  • Hank Moody
    3 months ago
    Best written or best movie? If trying to stick with best written, Tarantino has to be in there. I’m a Pulp Fiction fan but he has many other innovative and well written films, including True Romance. After QT, I’d also have to pick something from Christopher Nolan and Inception gets my vote. This movie was just complicated enough. He can go overboard. I haven’t seen Oppenheimer yet, but loved the Batman movies, especially Batman Begins and Memento is novel and an all time classic. If you’re going to go with Sorkin, Moneyball and The Social Network were good, but I don’t think come close to the brilliance of A Few Good Men.
  • skibum609
    3 months ago
    The Great Escape. Where Eagles Dare. Von Ryan's Express. To Kill a Mockingbird. Gone with the Wind.
  • gammanu95
    3 months ago
    Quentin Tarantino is an idiot and a hack. But we can just add that to the list of things Hank and I disagree on...
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion