How can you tell if a review is AI generated?

Saturday, March 2, 2024 5:42 AM
This is a new item when Rejecting/Accepting. Thoughts?

18 comments

It would be lacking in specifics. For example, an AI review might say a club is well laid out rather than saying the bar is on the left. It will say the strippers are beautiful rather than say the stripper names of specific girls and what they look like.
docsavage
3 months ago
If you've seen a few samples of ChatGPT prose, then it starts to jump out at you. In general, AI produces text that sounds like a marketing brochure written by committee. It's also very G-rated. I've seen some reviews that were AI generated where the guy attempted to rewrite a few bits to get it through. That's sometimes more obvious because the writing goes from 'blandly perfect' to 'head injury' and back. There are also websites out there where you copy and paste the text and it will analyze it for AI generation. They're used by teachers a lot.
Call.Me.Ishmael
3 months ago
^ With respect to Ishmael Ape, he is wrong. Everybody knows that AIs get basic facts wrong and occasionally interject something machine-y into their text. A typical machine-y statement is something like BEEP-BOOP-BOP. For example, if you asked an AI to write as if it were an angry suit-wearing lion that frequented strip clubs this is what you would get: “Imma go all Antelope on Your ASS my friend. BEEP-BOOP-BA!!!” I mean really…does that sound anything like a real suit-wearing lion that posts on the interwebz? The random capitalization…WRONG! The use of antelope rather than frickin’ wildebeest…WRONG!! And then there is the absence of a hearty ROAR!!!
rickthelion
3 months ago
^ Rick the lion novelty act needs to stop. Not funny, not clever. If you're not embarrassed for yourself, you should be. A presumably grown man shouldn't be acting like this.
mickey48066
3 months ago
I'm with Mickey here. We really need the "Ignore" button reinstated.
From978
3 months ago
^ Why is it so hard to believe that an esteemed member of the council of ricks is posting valuable rickvice to help you damn dirty apes? Well here me now and believe me next Tuesday when you see a suit-wearing lion hangin’ in the club getting dances from the sexiest female hairless apes available. Then you’ll understand how amazingly amazing we ricks are. Well…assuming that I don’t lose myself in an alcoholic fog bein’ all amazingly amazing and rickish. ROAR!!!
rickthelion
3 months ago
Here is one way: < [view link] > And another: < [view link] > I have rejected lots of articles that were AI generated, but only a few reviews. The AI text stands out even without the AI text detector as vague, impersonal, bland, full of generalizations with a lack of specifics, but with perfect English usage. Those characteristics stand out, and when I see them I run the text through the AI text generator.
Harderlap
3 months ago
^ Thank you. I'll give this a go.
mogul1985
3 months ago
The lion antagonists need to get a life, or a sense of humor. Not he pups be appropriate in this case. Ignore or not, at least there’s value in tye Lion’s contributions and if you fail to see it, then you’re part of the problem of taking yourself too seriously.
Mate27
2 months ago
Ishmael - Some of the AI generated text detectors will identify which parts of the pasted text are AI generated and which parts are human generated.
Harderlap
2 months ago
^ Yep, this is correct.
Call.Me.Ishmael
2 months ago
If the review seems as stupid as if written by Joe Biden, then it is AI generated.
skibum609
2 months ago
Just for grins, I gave ChatGPT a prompt based on the review guidelines here at TUSCL, and then asked it to review Palomino Las Vegas. The full review is below - could you tell it was AI generated? The one thing I'd note that ChatGPT does not do is get to specifics on prices, so I would think a lack of specifics would be the number 1 way to spot an AI review. Now, if one were to use ChatGPT to generate the review, and then update the generated text with more specifics, it might be indiscernible from a real review. But the question I'd ask in that case is, if the review was both detailed and accurate, would you care if it were AI generated? What if the OP actually visited the club, but just sucks at writing and wants to use a skeleton from ChatGPT to get started? In other words, if you can't tell if AI was used, does it matter? Personally, I think the "AI generated" reason for rejection is pointless - we should be rejecting reviews that don't have accurate details and approving ones that do, no need in my opinion to worry about if it was AI generated or not, just my 2 cents. ------- Palomino strip club in Las Vegas, NV, offers a unique experience among the city's myriad of adult entertainment venues. The PLACE exudes an aura of sophistication with its clean and well-maintained interior. Unlike some other clubs in Vegas, Palomino manages to strike a balance between elegance and excitement without veering into seediness. The lighting is dim enough to create an intimate atmosphere without obscuring the view, and the music level is just right—not too loud to drown out conversation, but lively enough to enhance the ambiance. Thankfully, there's minimal DJ annoyance factor; the music selection is diverse and caters to various tastes without becoming repetitive or obnoxious. PEOPLE at Palomino are undoubtedly one of its biggest draws. The dancers are stunning and diverse in ethnicity, ensuring there's something for everyone's preference. On any given night, you'll encounter a mix of performers, from sultry brunettes to fiery redheads and everything in between. The club typically boasts a decent number of dancers, ensuring there's always someone new to captivate your attention. Moreover, the dancers exude genuine enthusiasm and seem genuinely pleased to entertain patrons, enhancing the overall experience. As for PRICE, Palomino is reasonably priced considering its prime location and the quality of entertainment offered. Without divulging specific costs, patrons can expect to pay standard rates for drinks, dances, and cover charges. While not the cheapest option in town, the value for money is undeniable, especially considering the caliber of performers and the upscale ambiance. In summary, Palomino is a top-tier destination for those seeking an unforgettable night out in Las Vegas. Its combination of upscale ambiance, diverse and enthusiastic performers, and reasonable pricing make it a standout choice among strip clubs in the area. Whether you're a seasoned club-goer or a first-time visitor, Palomino offers an experience that's sure to leave a lasting impression. I would undoubtedly return to Palomino for another night of excitement and entertainment, as it consistently delivers on all fronts.
RonJax2
2 months ago
^ RonJax2 - thanks for giving the ChatGTP treatment. The wording isn't what I expect from a typical poster here. Examples: "offers a unique experience among the city's myriad of adult entertainment venues. The PLACE exudes an aura of sophistication with its clean and well-maintained interior." "As for PRICE, Palomino is reasonably priced considering its prime location and the quality of entertainment offered. Without divulging specific costs, patrons can expect to pay standard rates for drinks, dances, and cover charges." It sounds more like a club ad written by The Las Vegas Tourism Bureau (whatever it is called). I'm surprised it didn't end with "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas". Real interesting. Really, thanks for doing this.
mogul1985
2 months ago
@mogul1985, being a well-written, rave review might indicate it's AI generated. Note though that I could prompt ChatGPT to give me a negative review too though. I've pasted below what that looks like. It still lacks specifics, and again, that's what I think we should be focusing on in the unpublished queue. -------- Palomino strip club in Las Vegas left me thoroughly disappointed and unimpressed. First off, the place itself was lackluster. While it wasn't outright dirty, there was a noticeable lack of cleanliness, with sticky floors and dim lighting that did little to mask the grime. The music blared at an obnoxious level, making it difficult to hold a conversation, let alone enjoy the ambiance. The DJ seemed more interested in shouting over the speakers than actually curating a pleasant atmosphere, adding to the overall unpleasantness of the experience. As for the people, the dancers were a mixed bag at best. While there were a decent number of them, their enthusiasm seemed forced, and many appeared disinterested in engaging with patrons. The variety in ethnicity was lacking, with a predominantly homogeneous lineup that failed to cater to diverse tastes. It was evident that the dancers were more focused on upselling expensive services rather than providing genuine entertainment, which left a sour taste in my mouth. When it comes to the price, Palomino strip club proved to be a wallet-draining experience. From exorbitant cover charges to overpriced drinks and lap dances, every aspect of the club seemed designed to extract as much money as possible from unsuspecting customers. The sheer cost of enjoying oneself here far outweighed any potential enjoyment, making it a poor value for money proposition. In summary, Palomino strip club is a place I wouldn't recommend to anyone seeking a fun or memorable night out. The lackluster ambiance, disinterested dancers, and exorbitant prices make it a regrettable choice for entertainment in Las Vegas. Save your hard-earned cash and seek out a more reputable establishment where you can truly enjoy yourself without feeling like you've been taken advantage of.
RonJax2
2 months ago
yeah, that second AI palomino review sounds more realistic.
Jascoi
2 months ago
^RonJax 2^ Neither the positive nor the negative review read like something a human would write. I'd flag them both. The alternative is that they were written by a human whose primary language isn't English. It's interesting how ESL writing is often more grammatically correct than that of those who grew up speaking and writing English, but comes across as inappropriately formal for the context. I wouldn't reject a review just because it was written by a non-native English speaker/writer, but a crappy, uninformative review is a crappy, uninformative review.
Manuellabore
2 months ago
Yep @Manuallabore, you're right, the grammar on the AI generated reviews is TOO perfect. Most reviews carry at least some kind of awkward language or grammatical errors. That said, I don't think reviewers should be rejecting for perfect grammar. My point here is exactly as you state: "Uninformative" is the problem with AI generated reviews. These AI generated reviews say a lot while providing little information of value. Reviewers should reject all reviews that don't provide useful information, I think it's irrelevant whether one thinks it's AI or not.
RonJax2
2 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion