Flights to the TJ Airport

Thursday, February 29, 2024 8:42 PM
Apparently American Airlines has started flights from Phoenix to the Tijuana airport. Played with the site for a bit and prices seem reasonable.

18 comments

Operated by Sky West using Embraer 175 aircraft.
shadowcat
3 months ago
Oh look now Mate27 has an excuse to go!!!!!
shailynn
3 months ago
Really? Very interesting….thanks for sharing going to look into this more.
TJVisitor23
3 months ago
Damn. I’m flying in Saturday, I may change my flight and give this a try. $135 to fly in direct on American.
TJVisitor23
3 months ago
I went ahead and changed my flight, now flying direct into TJ. For $135 on a next day flight figured give it a shot and see what the experience is like and weigh out pro’s and con’s. I kept my original return flight from San Diego. Right off the bat I wish the flight was scheduled slightly later. Arrival is scheduled for 1142 AM so I may end up waiting at the hotel for my room. I’m guessing this a small airport but I’ll kill as much time as possible checking it out before heading to the hotel. Any suggestions how to kill additional time? Definitely don’t want to walk around TJ itself with a bag and backpack in tow.
TJVisitor23
3 months ago
You can leave your things at the HK bar reception desk. I have done it multiple times and never had an issue. My bag has had an expensive camera and cash. Untouched. HK security will do a brief inspection. Security theater.
PutaTester
3 months ago
Flight into TJ was great! Had to fill out the forms on the plane which the Mexican agents said were trash when I got off the plane. Asked where I was going/doing, told them head to HK for a couple days and they sent me on my way. Taxi’s wanted $30-40 American for cab ride to HK. Ended up taking an Uber for around $203 pesos (about $12 US) and it took about 25 minutes. Only kicker was the Ubers can’t pick you up at the airport terminal. You have to walk about 1/4 to 1/2 mile to the control tower to be picked up. When you exit the terminal walk across the street and go left until it makes sense to walk back across the street then keep walking until you the control tower. It’s not far. May be my new way to arrive when traveling personal, when traveling business will have to fly into San Diego. Was a fun flight, had a group of hotties unfortunately with husbands and boyfriends but we all had a couple drinks and had a good time with the flight attendants as the flight was pretty empty. Had to remind myself I wasn’t at HK yet!!! I would have tapped 3 of the 4 girls in the group. 😊. Hoping I end up seeing them in HK…one can wish! Thanks for the tip on this Putatester!
TJVisitor23
3 months ago
You are welcome. Appreciate the follow up on your experience. Good info.
PutaTester
3 months ago
@TJVisitor23... what was customs like on your landing in TJ? I'm curious about smuggling a vape pen through and wondering if that would be easier via flight than the land crossing with the new security controls at the land port of entry. And yeah, I played with some flight options for me, the timing of that flight landing at 11:45AM is less than ideal. I know @PT mentioned you can leave your bags at Cascadas reception, but I would still worry about the cash (I guess I could keep it on me?) but also what to do if I found a girl I was ready to arriba with but before my room was ready (I guess one could always just wait!)
RonJax2
2 months ago
Split up the cash. Keep enough for amusements until the room is ready. At the HK reception desk I have left my bag many times with cash and expensive electronics in it. Never had an issue. And if I connected with a chica, I would wait for the room to be ready. $40/30m is such a rip. Indeed, I have left my bag at HK and gone to CC to make sure that there wasn't anyone there that I couldn't resist.
PutaTester
2 months ago
Customs was easy, they said the forms I filled out on the plane were trash, looked at my passport, asked how many days and waved me through. About the same as walking back into the US. You do pass your bag through the x-ray machine. I got to Rizo around 1230 or so, my room was not ready until 300. They put my luggage in a locker and gave me a claim ticket. I felt comfortable enough with that, would probably be very bad for business if things came up missing from checked bags. Obviously I kept things like my passport, wallet and majority of my cash with me. I did leave a few hundred in my backpack. If nothing else to test them. Anyway, the wait was big deal, time flew by, went into the Tropical which was dead but had a great convo with Jesus one of the waiters and another customer while sitting out on the smoking balcony. Went to HK admired multiple hotties while it was still kinda slow and before I knew it was already 300. Checked in and got ready for the evening rounds but not before enjoying a drink on the Rizo balcony in the cool freshly rained air. Great people watching weather.
TJVisitor23
2 months ago
Flying in to most destinations in MX these days is "visa free' meaning that you don't need an FMM. I've been skipping the flight to SAN for years now by combining my TJ visit with travel elsewhere in Mexico.
booji boy
2 months ago
Just booked a round trip flight for this Friday. Flying direct was pretty nice. Looking forward to the round trip experience this time. I’ll let you know how the return leg was and if I’m still a fan.
TJVisitor23
2 months ago
Definitely a fan of flying in direct, so much faster and easier I think. Not to mention for $135 bucks each way on a last minute booking, and with my status the first class upgrades are a for sure thing basically. No brainer. Uber was $179 pesos (11 bucks). Had to wait about 10 minutes for my room and I was off and running. I bet flying in direct is saving me at least 2 hours if not more and in this case almost $300 bucks had a flown SWA into San Diego last minute also eliminates allot of walking and effing around with trolleys or Ubers. I’m sure these low fares have to do with it being a new route so I’ll just enjoy it for as long as it lasts. Thanks again PutaTester!! I definitely owe you a couple beers.
TJVisitor23
2 months ago
Very please with TJ airport. I gave myself almost two hours to make sure I didn’t miss my flight. Took less than 5 minutes in total from the curb through security and to my gate. I spend a lot of time in airports across the country and I’ll say I’m very impressed. Much nicer airport than most in America. Very fast, very clean. This will be my preferred method going forward. And again with my airline status once again upgraded to first. Even short flights makes a difference.
TJVisitor23
2 months ago
ONE IMPORTANT detail….make sure you get your exit stamp from immigration before going through security. I almost missed my flight. I should have taken a picture or got a better description but just know it is a small office window before you go through security. It is located and mixed in with retail and money exchange. Only takes a minute but when doing it last second and having to go through security again it becomes a little stressful. I noticed a couple people getting their passport checked and a couple others walking away so I went to the counter to check myself and sure enough he said I needed a stamp to board. So the race was one as mentioned above. Glad I checked when I did. Doesn’t change my opinion of flying direct, now I know and this step will only add a couple minutes to the very easy and expedited process at TJ airport.
TJVisitor23
2 months ago
Good tip. Also, sounds stupid to bring up this tip, but a passport card will not let you pass. I am so used to entering Mexico on foot by using the passport card I can foresee getting to the airport and expecting to get on a flight with my passport card.
PutaTester
2 months ago
Not a bad tip at all, one could easily assume and be disappointed when trying to board in PHX. Just flew back into San Diego today so I have a direct comparison. Grabbed my rental car and drove to Palomino station and jumped on the tram. Easy enough but still faster flying direct into TJ. Plus I run the risk of someone breaking into or stealing my rental. This is a business trip so the rental wasn’t on me but still hope nothing happens to the car, don’t need those headaches. Had I Ubered it would have cost between 45-60 bucks with tip and probably 40 minutes all in. I don’t know sure hope American keeps the cost down and I will keep flying in direct on personal travel. Almost did on this business trip, I could have saved the company around $300 by flying into TJ but figured better not. 😔 Back at the happiest place on earth so who the F cares how you prefer to get here, just get here!!
TJVisitor23
2 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion