Greatest guitar solos

Saturday, February 24, 2024 11:31 PM
I recently listening to the one at the end of Goodbye Stranger by Supertramp again. Rodger Hodgson does that one. So God damn good. That is a criminally underrated band. The 70's in general was so awesome for music. There's a lot to pick from but off the top of my head that's my pick. No.2 would be the one in Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon as seen in the movie The Color of Money. What do you guys got?

37 comments

It’s a cliche because it’s true….but any other answer than Stairway to Heaven in just wrong. * kudos though to Werewolves. Not a great movie but loved that scene
motorhead
3 months ago
Second vote for Stairway. It's cliche for a reason. Also a big fan of Sweet Child O' Mine and several other Slash solos, and I've always liked the solo in Alive by Pearl Jam, although I'm not sure if anyone else would put it among the tops of all time.
MajorBoobage
3 months ago
I'm not sure I could pick one favorite, but here are my top 10 in no particular order. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb Van Halen - Eruption B.B. King - Three O'clock Blues Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower Guns N Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine Prince - Purple Rain Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues Metallica - Fade to Black Cream - Crossroads
whodey
3 months ago
I’m a fan of all the classics, including those listed by whodey above, but I also love the late great Terry Kath on Chicago’s 25 or 6 to 4. Do a YouTube search for the Ukrainian cover band Leonid and Friends covering this song - their young guitarist is absolutely killer. My other favorite solo is Jeff “Skunk” Baxter on Bodhisattva with Steely Dan. The solo is long, complex, and elegant. Let’s hear some more!
azdd
3 months ago
led zep live 1973 nyc - stairway to heaven and no quarter roy clark on the odd couple-malaguena stevie ray vaughn-little wing deep purple-highway star ozzy osbourne-crazy train, bark at the moon and no more tears skynyrd-freebird bill haley-rock around the clock
rattdog
3 months ago
Slash - November Rain
misterorange
3 months ago
I went to David Bowie concert in late 80’s. He was introducing the band and said his guitarist was sick but one of his mates was going to fill in for him. He then introduced Eric Clapton. Pretty good for a sub.
gobstopper007
3 months ago
Sonic Youth: Diamond Sea (technically it isn't a solo b/c both Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore play a bit on it) White Stripes: Icky Thump Black Keys Thickfreakness Jimi Hendrix: Machine Gun. Alice in Chains: Rotten Apple (though really anything from Jar of Flies could make a list)
blahblahblahs
3 months ago
Special call out to John Cale on Black Angel Death Song as the greatest use of viola ever
blahblahblahs
3 months ago
Lots of great solos out there. Three lesser known ones that I like are: Megadeth, Marty Friedman - Tornado of Souls Great White, Mark Kendall - Rock Me Robert Randolph (pedal steel guitar) - Thrill of It
steve3000
3 months ago
I was raised on Maggot Brain
IWantHerOnMe
3 months ago
It’s eruption by a mile. That solo changed the way that every guitar player looked at their instrument. Especially with regard to practice. As in “oh shit I really need to practice more”. Every single technique in that song had already been done, and even the chords at the beginning were copied from another band. However, the proficiency and energy were unparalleled, groundbreaking. There have been lots of great solos, but only one that had this level of impact.
drewcareypnw
3 months ago
A few awesome solo's I like, and many above that have already been listed. Mr. Crowley (Ozzy, Randy Rhoads); Superstitious (Europe, Kee Marcello); Don't tell me you love me (Nightranger, Brad Gillis); Edge of Thorns (Savatage, Criss Oliva); Here I come Again (Damn Yankees, Ted Nugent); and pretty much any White Lion solo by Vito Bratta!
Steverox
3 months ago
David Gilmour's live solo in Comfortably Numb at the Pulse concert 30 years ago (for the time constrained, starts at 4:30): https://youtu.be/7kWl-ZGMwkQ?t=268 Honorable mention to Prince at the R&R HOF 20 years ago (starts at 3:15): https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y?t=192
5footguy
3 months ago
@Iwantheronme: Maggot Brain came to my mind first. Eddie Hazel, George Clinton, some Acid.....and an idea....
jaybud999
3 months ago
Limelight (Rush, Alex Lifeson) Kid Charlemagne (Steely Dan, Larry Carlton) Return to Serenity (Testament, Alex Skolnick) Reckless (Judas Priest, Glenn Tipton) Time (Pink Floyd, David Gilmour) Another Day (Dream Theater, John Petrucci) That's a handful off the top of my head.
crosscheck
3 months ago
@azdd: "My other favorite solo is Jeff “Skunk” Baxter..." Not many know in the mid-1980s he became a very good missile defense consultant for the Pentagon.
mogul1985
3 months ago
AC/DC - Malcolm Young "Thunderstruck"
mogul1985
3 months ago
@jaybud999 Wish Eddie Hazel had lived longer. I thought about November Rain and Eruption too.
IWantHerOnMe
3 months ago
You might do well to consider Chuck Berry’s guitar playing skills case in point even though it’s short ‘Roll over Beethoven’ is pretty memorable as well My favorites though might be ‘Smoke on the water’ at least the opening as well as ‘’Free Bird’ and has been mentioned‘Stairway to Heaven’
twentyfive
3 months ago
Highly subjective, and lots of great solos nominated, and with that I submit mine...Eagles Hotel California with dueling lead guitars (Felder and Walsh)
DeclineToState
3 months ago
This list made me think of many more great solos. Maggot Brain (the whole 10+ minute song), Limelight, Hotel California, and much of Steely Dan (def including Kid Charlemagne). Jeff Beck should be listed too, multiple times.
steve3000
3 months ago
Extreme - Play With Me https://youtu.be/nDWjWfLU2kQ?feature=shared 2:27 mark Nuno Bettencourt goes crazy. Cheesy song but Nuno is on full display.
shailynn
3 months ago
Jimi Hendrix - Star Spangled Banner, from Woodstock https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzZh6-h9fM&pp=ygUcamltaSBoZW5kcml4IG5hdGlvbmFsIGFudGhlbQ%3D%3D
misterorange
3 months ago
Shailynn - Nuno is a beast. His solo in Get The Funk Out is my personal favorite of his.
crosscheck
3 months ago
I always enjoyed bands that had less commercial success growing up. A couple of solos I can remember Michael Schenker -UFO "I'm a loser" live Strangers in the night Ronnie Montrose- "I got the fire" Paper Money Some with more success Dickey Betts - "Blue Sky" Eat a Peach Allman Brothers Santana - "Europa" and "Samba pa Ti"
mike710
3 months ago
Easy to answer this one. It's Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. And Rick(y) Beato agrees with me. I had the good fortune to see Gilmour play it live in London a few years at a Roger Waters concert.
londonguy
3 months ago
For kicks, I asked a few chat bots for best guitar solos, and the lists I'm getting back largely mirror what you all are saying, lol. Comfortably Numb is ranked towards the top according to the bots. The only song the bots mentioned that you all haven't yet is Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing." My fav among all of these suggestions is Pearl Jam's "Alive." Hat tip to @MajorBoobage for mentioning that one. As soon as I read it I could hear every single note of that solo, right up to and past where Eddie comes in with "Yeah, uh huuhhh..." That solo might not be the most technical or as brilliantly innovative as some of the others on this list, but if that solo isn't part of your metabolism, you probably were just born in a different era than I was.
RonJax2
3 months ago
i see a couple of mentions of pearl jam's alive solo - copped from ace frehley, who copped from robbie krieger.
rattdog
3 months ago
Cortez the Killer by anybody but especially by hometown guy Warren Haynes.
magicrat
3 months ago
Lot of 70's through 90's stuff on here, and that's all valid; lot of "epic" solos on here, too, all equally valid. I'd humbly submit that there are some slightly-more-recent, amazing solos (and riffs), and fun guitar work, that all do exactly what they need to do, and then get out of the way, such as: Velvet Revolver - Fall to Pieces (the video should be popular with this crowd, too, maybe?) Ween - I Don't Want It Built to Spill - Carry the Zero Titus Andronicus - A More Perfect Union Oasis - Live Forever Beatles - Let it Be (not more-recent, but does the job and gets out of the way) Isn't that what we look for on this forum? Do the job and then let us get on with life? :)
Von1010
3 months ago
My favorite guitar solo is on Marquee Moon by the punk rock band Television. A lot of those seventies punk rock bands had short careers and are now forgotten. I was young then so I remember them.
docsavage
3 months ago
May I submit this solo by Glen Campbell https://youtu.be/ETkzK9pXMio
founder
3 months ago
This one is even better https://youtu.be/kboMSfPMLDs
founder
3 months ago
Yeah Glenn was definitely great. Since we’ve brought country into the mix, you have to appreciate Vince Gill’s tremendous Telecaster on songs like Liza Jane and Oklahoma Borderline. Killer riffs!
azdd
3 months ago
Some really excellent picks above. A couple less known players’ bests (IMO): Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult, “Astronomy” on One Enchanted Evening (Live), and “Then Came the Last Days of May” on “On Your Feet…(Live)” Steve Hunter on Lou Reed’s “Rock & Roll Animal (Live), esp “White Light, White Heat”; and on Aerosmith’s “Train Kept A’Rollin’” (uncredited but true) Ritchie Blackmore, Made in Japan (Live) esp “Strange Kind of Woman” John Squire, Stone Roses, “Good Times” off Second Coming” Bill Nelson of BeBop Deluxe “No Trains to Heaven” off Axe Victim And the UFO pick above, could have said that one too.
RiskA
3 months ago
comfortably numb tribute - paul gilbert 1:17 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe-iisVoh_w
rattdog
3 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion