tuscl

Removing a review AFTER it has been published

Electronman
Too much of a good thing is never enough
Wednesday, December 6, 2023 9:09 AM
Every now and then a review gets approved that is full of inaccuracies. Case in point is the recent review of Wackos from motallovelove on December 5, 2023. This review contained very little useful information (as noted by Techman) and several glaring inaccuracies (as noted by doctorevil). This review could have been generated by ChatGPT or some other AI engine. Sometimes questionable reviews become more obvious only after the review is published and you see it is only the first or second review published by the submitter. Should TUSCL have a mechanism to remove published reviews that are obviously inaccurate and/or AI generated? Should TUSCL be able to block free access for any account that submits a blatantly inaccurate or AI-generated review?

12 comments

• Jascoi
    8 months ago
    I just read the review in question. it doesn't follow the guidelines so I guess on that point maybe it should be removed. but I also look at it as a experience that somebody had at that place. sometimes a review like this can be helpful in some ways because even though it's different it's still an experience that sheds some light. some of us have a different perspective.
  • Hank Moody
    8 months ago
    IMO the bar to remove a published review should be high. Very high. A few mistakes or differences of opinion aren’t enough. I’ve asked founder to remove reviews on two occasions that I recall. Once, I submitted a review under the wrong club or hit submit before I was done. He removed it so I could redo it. Only once have I asked him to remove someone else’s review. I mistakenly approved a review where someone named a girl who did extras. I checked the Too Explicit box and left a comment where it was clear I was rejecting, but hit approve by mistake and it was my vote that was the deciding vote. I messaged Founder and he pulled that one down.
  • Muddy
    8 months ago
    Maybe a new feature could be where if a review gets flagged enough it goes on appeal. And then revote on it.
  • misterorange
    8 months ago
    ^^ Good idea. Also revoke their free month!
  • Electronman
    8 months ago
    @jascoi: Please re read the review, especially the remarks from doctorevil. I would not suggest removing a review unless it contains glaring inaccuracies. Actually, this is one of the challenges in reviewing submissions for a club that you've never actually visited. Some inaccuracies can be detected if and only if you have some familiarity with the club.
  • Hank Moody
    8 months ago
    Yeah, but it’s our job to catch it on the front end. If a bad review does get through, we also have other ways to limit the damage on the back end, chiefly by commenting on the review and flagging the inaccuracies.
  • gammanu95
    8 months ago
    There should be no mechanisms for membership feedback to remove a review. The membership of this site is too partisan and immature to have that ability. There are too many bitter and petty personalities who would attempt to weaponize review removal to attack and silence posters they do not like. We have VIP voting to approve reviews, we can message Founder if we err on a review (posting or voting), and we can comment on reviews after they are posted. That is enough.
  • lurkingdog
    8 months ago
    The only other review attributed to this poster is from August 2022 on Scarlett's in Hallandale. Can any of you attest to the accuracy of that particular review (I've never been).
  • Dolfan
    8 months ago
    I've called out a number of fake and/or completely inaccurate reviews for local clubs. I really wish people who didn't know the club in question wouldn't approve every fucking review, as many are total bullshit. There was one for Tootsies recently that was total and obvious BS, and it's still published. Anyone who knew the club would catch it immediately, but someone who doesn't wouldn't. If people would focus on their area, I think we'd see better reviews. It would fragment the criteria a bit, but that's a price I'd be willing to pay. That said, I'm not sure removing reviews is wise. I'd rather see the thumbs up/thumbs down kinda thing being used to denote good/useful reviews and shitty/useless reviews. A sort/filter could then be applied to show more useful reviews higher in the list or filter out reviews with multiple negative flags. In the meantime, use comments to correct things.
  • RonJax2
    8 months ago
    ^ I approved that review of Toots that you refer to here Dolfan, and I regret it. I missed a number of important cues but the bottom line is I just didn't read it carefully enough. I would definitely support a mechanism to remove a published review, reviewers are human and mistakes can be made.
  • Manuellabore
    8 months ago
    Enough negative comments on a bad review should be sufficient to get the job done. The reader will learn more from the comments in those cases than from the review. This underscores the need for diligence at the front end. I won't adjudicate a review if I have no way of knowing it is accurate or not, unless it is clearly too lacking in detail to be accepted, or is clearly AI-generated.. I have also slipped at the switch and inadvertently approved reviews I intended to reject as too explicit, but didn't know there was a way to remedy that.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    8 months ago
    All you can do is message founder with your request and hope for the best. After that, enter a comment noting the mistakes or indicators that it's fake. If it's your own review, then write and reread it using a text editor on your phone before you copy-and-paste it into the review text field. I actually started that after I lost a couple of reviews because TUSCL threw a rod after I hit the "Submit" button. Very frustrating. But it also makes it easier to catch mistakes.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion