tuscl

Ohio has voted in favor of abortion rights and legalized recreational marijuana.

NinaBambina
Who the fuck is Ninabambina?
Wednesday, November 8, 2023 3:04 AM
Yep, election day was today. Issue 1 was for abortion rights (etc). Issue 2 was for legalizing marijuana. Both have now passed.

47 comments

• aham5
    8 months ago
    What's next? Prostitution?
  • Muddy
    8 months ago
    Interesting stuff. And this is in Ohio, which is definitely a red state now adays. No longer purple. I think GOP has to sort of catch up to where people are little bit and they could actually start winning.
  • funonthaside
    8 months ago
    So marijuana, which could result in people being injured on the job or in vehicle accidents is legal, but buying pussy is not. Seems logical.
  • NinaBambina
    8 months ago
    Well alcohol could also lead to people being injured on the job, but it's legal - and regulated - like marijuana now will be. Buying pussy wasn't on the ballot. If you want it to be, bust your ass and get it on a ballot like the marijuana folks did.
  • twentyfive
    8 months ago
    Abortion should be legal everywhere this country has a few laws that are archaic and this issue is not a new issue, fortunately there is a growing majority that supports women and realize that women’s rights and health and reproductive rights are important Remember the story of Lysistrata, pussy is powerful.
  • JamesSD
    8 months ago
    Go Ohio!
  • gammanu95
    8 months ago
    The Constitution of the United States of America: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." The federal government has no authority to regulate abortion or cannabis, so it is appropriate for these matters to be decided by the individual states.
  • skibum609
    8 months ago
    How cool Iran voted to launch another 40 attacks against our troops yesterday, while we focus on killing those among us least able to defend themselves. We call them savages.
  • NinaBambina
    8 months ago
    Well, I voted yes on both and so did the majority of Ohioans. I've never had an abortion and if I found out I was pregnant today, I wouldn't even consider it - but another woman's decision is not mine to make. Plus, I don't know every abortion seeker's reasoning for getting one; convenience? Rape? Fetus is not viable? Ectopic pregnancy? It is not my job to make myself privy to that info. That's where the "right to privacy" comes in. The alternative was a "heartbeat bill" that left no exceptions for rape, incest, or age. My thinking is that even some of the people with NO signs on their yards probably went and silently voted yes because even THEY don't want their daughters forced to birth a rapist's child. At the of the day, Ohioans voted for freedom on both issues, both were passed quite handedly, and I'm glad to have been able to be a part of that history.
  • shadowcat
    8 months ago
    I'm not Al Pacino and don't have a dog in this abortion fight but common sense tells me that if 50% of the population is for it and the other 50% is against it then the only reasonable solution is choice.
  • Hank Moody
    8 months ago
    Sound reasoning shadow. Both the abortion and marijuana issues passed with 57/43 approval. And that’s a largely conservative state.
  • skibum609
    8 months ago
    Ahh so if 50% of the people are for it and 50% against, we allow people to choose? Military service? Foreign aid? Vaccines? Paying taxes? Euthanasia? Osha? IRS? Religion? Yup, we can all now choose. In the year 6565, ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife, you'll pick your sons, pick your daughters too, from the bottom of a long glass tube. Wait, this otherwise perfect baby has brown eyes. I wanted green. Kill it and start over. Yeah baby that's how and why we abort em. Now let me go protest on behalf of terrorists like a good democrat.
  • 5footguy
    8 months ago
    Legal abortion means fewer babies born from the idiot class, so, I'm on board with that. I see no reason why weed, cocaine, or any drug should be illegal. Prohibition didn't work for alcohol, and eventually weed will be legal everywhere. Have fun with it. What's more interesting are psychedelics like shrooms. I wonder if Big Pharma will try to ban those like they tried to ban weed? I hope not .. they're natural, for goodness sake.
  • whodey
    8 months ago
    Muddy I don't think I would call Ohio a red state. The majority of the state's counties are solidly red but the top several population centers (Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, etc) are fiercely Democrat these days. As of yesterday's election Cincinnati no longer has a single Republican in city government after the only Republican on the City Council was voted out. In fact, according to the Pew Research center the state is 42% Republican, 40% Democrat and 18% independent so I would call it solidly purple right now. I lean strongly Republican on most issues, but not on abortion. As a Catholic I see it as a sin but that doesn't mean it should be illegal. A sin is a violation of your faith but shouldn't necessarily be a violation of the law. Many religions see premarital sex as a sin but I doubt many of the people here want it to be illegal. The Catholic church discourages birth control including condoms but I bet a lot of us are glad they are legal. There are many things that various religions see as a sin that many of us would be appalled if they were illegal.
  • NinaBambina
    8 months ago
    Colorado has legalized Shrooms now.
  • gammanu95
    8 months ago
    You should move to Colorado and become mushroom farmer, Nina. You're so full of shit you'd never need to pay for fertilizer.
  • misterorange
    8 months ago
    Apparently whether it's in Israel, or in the womb, Democrats love chopping up babies. That said, Republicans had better get their act together and quickly. Abortion is a losing issue for them, and it's not worth giving up all their other efforts just because they can't be flexible on a single issue.
  • skibum609
    8 months ago
    ^ I registered as a Republican when I turned 18, hitchhiking home from college to register in my hometown on the first possible day. I've never changed it. Never even thought of it until Trump started tweeting. After 48 years I am thinking of re-registering as an independent, or just simply giving up and letting my registration go. I could never be a Democrat (or a girl), but wtf, abortion is the main issue? Abortion and not getting overrun by the enemy and the illegal hordes. Abortion was an issue: in 1818. Abortion and Trump the worst excata in history.
  • drewcareypnw
    8 months ago
    Good for Ohioans, good for women, and good for potheads, 3 groups I don't belong to but am nonetheless glad to see getting their way. Someone already said it, but the GOP needs to catch up. They've been playing to the loudest voices not the largest audience. I bet they drop the abortion issue like a hot potato (or a felon trump) in the next election. It would be awesome if they could get pussy on the ballot.
  • gammanu95
    8 months ago
    ^Rejected: incoherent Democrats support abortions. Democrats want to kill off as many future democrat base voters as possible. Why does any GOP voter oppose this? Yes, stop those future gangbangers, welfare leeches, terrorist-supporters and enablers, tax and spend idiots, and bureaucrats before they even leave the womb. We are already overpopulated and overspending on entitlements. Close the border, end chain migration, deport each and every single illegal, end birthright citizenship, abort future democrats, and restructure entitlements. Look at how many simultaneous crises that would solve!
  • drewcareypnw
    8 months ago
    ^elaborate. It’s not just democrats. It’s women. And, increasingly men as well. It’s odd in a way. I know plenty of right wingers: they like free markets, small government, strong military, Jesus, guns guns guns, nascar, redneck music, etc etc. What the fuck any of that had to do with abortion is beyond me. I don’t believe all these red meat eating, gun toting, ass kicking, “bomb ‘em all and let god sort em out” macho men give a fuck about some little blob in some woman’s guts that might grown into a human if everything goes right for 9 months. I sometimes think it’s just the result of an arbitrary us vs them where libs ended up with abortion and cons ended up with guns or whatever.
  • twentyfive
    8 months ago
    Funny how all those freedom loving MAGA folks believe in democracy only if you vote the way the want you to.
  • skibum609
    8 months ago
    ^Yeah democrats are into democracy as evidenced by the flood of illegal scum becoming voters.
  • twentyfive
    8 months ago
    ^ as evidenced by Donny the draft dodger trying to steal the election with no voters at all.
  • gammanu95
    8 months ago
    First, we live in a republic, not a democracy. There is a preponderance of evidence on this board of people who cannot even make intelligent decisions about their own lives, much less the course of a nation. Unfortunately, those idiots do elect other idiots who promise them all kinds of free shit paid for by "others." If you could make good decisions at an individual level, you would not need to look for government freebies. I agree with the $500CHJ incel that the dichotomy of national politics in a polarized partisan government is terribly problematic. I'm a conservationist. I believe species, green spaces, and the natural environment should be protected. The Republican party is led by the "drill, baby, drill" chant. I believe in low taxes and a small government beholden to the people. The Democrat party thinks more government is better government and has no problem stealing my entire paycheck to fund it. Even in the beginning, it was Revolutionaries against loyalists. Individual colony proponents against those seeking a stronger federal government. Federalists v Democrats. American government- call it a democratic Republic or a Jeffersonian democracy- was created by the Founding Fathers with the understanding that unanimous consent would be improbable. The Constitution was written to give equal voices to everyone and to have small government being as unobtrusive as possible. This is why it was written with the House writing and passing laws onto the Senate for deliberation and consent. This is also why the Senate was created to pass many proposals before them with a 60% approval instead of a 50%+1. This is why the filibuster was an available option. It's been acknowledged before, but it is an imperfect system which is the best system yet devised.
  • twentyfive
    8 months ago
    Saying stupid stuff constantly shows that you don’t know what you’re talking about no matter how long you make your post. Get some sleep this stuff is way above your intellectual capacity.
  • gammanu95
    8 months ago
    The demented old jackass is jealous.
  • twentyfive
    8 months ago
    ^ jealous of what A jerk who can’t even chew bubblegum and fart simultaneously Please get some help.
  • drewcareypnw
    8 months ago
    The $0 Racist should take a slurp of his own medicine and recognize that "the Democrat party" also have divergent views, and in fact do not all want more government. Not all of us who see no other choice than to tick "Grampa Joe" on the ballot are on the same page about saving the whales, taxes, immigration, pronouns, or avocado toast. Sidestepping inane middle-school civics lectures about Democracies vs Republics... most Americans are closer on abortion than either political party would like us to believe. Very few on the right view an un-implanted yet fertilized egg as a life, and equally few on the left view a 1 day short of 9 months abortion as anything short of murder. In the middle is considerable common ground: most Americans believe that abortion is acceptable up until the end of the first trimester. [view link]
  • NinaBambina
    8 months ago
    Not sure why people insist on the "democrats support killing babies" trope. Overused, and less people are falling for it these days. Most pro-choice people are against abortion after viability, and "partial birth" abortions are federally illegal anyway, and killing an *actual* baby is infanticide, which is homicide. But the forced-birthers act like women in the US are regularly popping out babies who are then beheaded in front of them. I know a lot of forced-birthers don't like science, but there is a distinction between and fetus and a baby (and also an embryo, and a zygote, etc). Anyway, Ohio voters passed Issue 1 by about 57%. Ohio is not a blue state whatsoever. Democrats don't make up 57% of voters - LMAO! This was something that not only democrats, but independents and republicans voted in favor of, too. I think Ohioans, and the majority of Americans, just feel like the government shouldn't have full control over their or their children's reproductive health. That doesn't sound too crazy to me.
  • oscarlomax
    8 months ago
    It's interesting that many folks identify with one party or the other but when it comes to specific issues, party affiliation doesn't really matter. That's why when I vote I always ask, "How does this or that stance free me?" Then I decide. Aside from politics making many of us apathetic, specific concerns are what matters to the majority of people. So maybe there is hope after all.
  • skibum609
    8 months ago
    Abortion - First trimester - ok; third trimester - not ok; middle trimester, y'all go kill each other over it: ok?
  • twentyfive
    8 months ago
    I’m laughing at this, look at how the right wing did an absolute 180 degree turn. Let’s see how they try to spin this, LOL.
  • skibum609
    8 months ago
    ^ I am laughing at you for calling everyone right wing and now you can admit that you are everything Gam says you are or find one post where I claim to be prolife, or against abortion, even though it's still murder. Go ahead Mr. hanging chad fraud.
  • twentyfive
    8 months ago
    ^ Not really even close, but on abortion I’m fine with it, y’all have been spinning stupidity for years now, I’ve been a centrist consistently and have always been fiscally conservative. My opinion is my own, I never attacked any for their different opinions, but certain folks here seem to think if you act like an ass you’ll bully me into agreement, got, news for you I don’t need anyone’s approval to post what I want, and if I cal let you express your opinions you can have the same courtesy. As far as that twelve year old is concerned he’s going to get the shit kicked out of him if he mouths off in person, so he can go fuck himself. We both know if he ever met me the only thing he’d say, is would you like this weeks circular, while he hands me a shopping cart. You know better, I know that, try to be better.
  • twentyfive
    8 months ago
    PS my comment wasn’t actually aimed at you it was really about those five clowns debating now that they realized that most Americans want the women in our life to have access to safe and legal abortions the Republicans keep whistling past the graveyard on this issue and the most important point is even Donald Trump knows this, but you go ahead and call me names IDGAF
  • gammanu95
    8 months ago
    ^it's amazing that blind, deaf, and demented as he is, I rule over his every waking thought. Ooooh, an 80-year-old Jew is threatening me from behind his keyboard and the aafety of elder abuse laws? I'm so scared.
  • skibum609
    8 months ago
    If 25 is a moderate then I am Allah.
  • twentyfive
    8 months ago
    ^ Centrist Allah Get it right
  • rickmacrodong
    8 months ago
    Even a state shouldn’t be able to discuss or decide on things like drug usage or prostitution. Was that really the intent of states rights, to allow them to decide on the legality of drug usage or prostitution or other victimless crimes?
  • rickmacrodong
    8 months ago
    A lot of republicans, act way too insane and religious and thats why they lose. The libertarian ones aren’t really republican and Trump isn’t religious trying to impose a particular religion on everyone. Trump will continue to outperform the right wing religious nut jobs.
  • ilbbaicnl
    8 months ago
    I've always been dubious of the viability standard. But, since Roe V. Wade, I think scientific evidence has shown that fetuses in the first 6 months are not legally alive. They lack the brain function that a person on life support needs to have to be considered legally alive. If a person on life support loses that level of brain function, they are considered legally dead. Life support can be turned off, even if they don't have a DNR. Because of the First Amendment, you can't claim someone is alive based on religion, you need a secular reason for the claim.
  • ilbbaicnl
    8 months ago
    I would need much THC to tolerate living in Ohio.
  • gammanu95
    8 months ago
    Liberals like 25IQ should stop trying to appropriate Conservative values to grant themselves a veneer of respectability. You're a failed old Social Justice Warrior. You're a feeble old wokie. You're an ignorant, knee-jerk, garden-variety, liberal. You know it, we all know it, stop trying to pretend otherwise.
  • rickmacrodong
    8 months ago
    Its anecdotal but look at the posts in this thread. Numerous posts claiming even when the chick used a fake ID and lied about her age, the guys still went to prison for rape and other crimes. There seem to be countless stories of guys genuinely banging a girl who later accused the guy of rape and won. [view link]
  • rickmacrodong
    8 months ago
    Ilbaicln ill give you a quick rundown on how things work. America currently doesnt really have freedom of religion or expression. Luckily, freedom of speech exists for the most part but i think even that will be gone soon. Right wingers want to outlaw holocaust denial and any criticism of israel just like certain European countries have. Left wingers want to outlaw any denial of slavery and criticism of black or native american people and possibly lgbtq people as well. As far as freedom of religion, it doesnt truly exist. Look at all the people looking to ban certain religions from being practiced. Look up the ground zero mosque case, a situation where both democrats and republicans claimed a mosque shouldnt be built in certain places. Some politicians even “explained” how they would use eminent domain to confiscate the property and prevent a mosque from being built. Some politicians or people against the building of the mosque even provided “logic” for their claims and claimed they also wouldnt want a shinto shrine built in pearl harbor or any nazi imagery present near a synogague or in germany. So freedom of religion, even if practiced without violating other peoples rights, doesnt exist. Freedom of belief and speech, exist for the most part currently, but there are numerous republicans and democrats who want to get rid of that too. Basically the way it works is, freedom of speech and religion and expression and property rights exist, UNLESS your use of religion or speech or property rights offend the beliefs of particular right wingers or left wingers. A mosque or shinto shrine or nazi imagery in “certain” places are “offensive” thus arent allowed. “Certain” historical beliefs and types of speech isnt allowed. Now republicans often claim to be more pro free speech, more pro free religion and more pro property rights but that’s debatable if thats the case. They still support restrictions on speech, religion, and property rights but its just a different variety than what left wingers want to restrict. The right will stick up for property rights if its protesters looting and destroying and stealing but that seems to be about it.
  • Thick-5-Incher
    8 months ago
    Feels GOOD to stick it to you worthless piece of shit MAGAs like this in a red state! Sign of things to come in every red state in 2024. Vote Biden or get the fuck outta my country!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion