OT: Cape Cod Baseball League Bucket List

Friday, May 19, 2023 2:59 AM
As a little kid we use to go to Cape Cod for 2 weeks to visit my Great Aunt, "Are we there yet...". Today, I'd sell a kidney to have the home on a .5 acre she had for decades 100' from the beach bay. Someday, I'll get to my Bucket List, and spend 3-4 months in Cape Cod during baseball season. I've heard of this league, just wondering if it is cracked to be what I've heard. I can't relive my childhood, however, this sounds like fun. My other is staying in a glass geodesic dome hotel in northern Finland in January to watch the Northern Lights: [view link] now if this only included strippers that would be the icing, no pun intended, on my proverbial lap. Thoughts?

5 comments

I've been to a few games but it's probably been 20 years since the last time I went. I remember the quality of play being great, but most of the venues are very simple, like high school fields (although well-maintained). You're not gonna see stadiums like most AA or AAA teams play at. You might see hot dogs being sold at folding tables by the players' mothers. Great games though. If you had a place to stay on the Cape I think it could be fun to enjoy the whole season there.
misterorange
a year ago
If the OP wishes to go back to the summer of 1957 and watch baseball, this is must-see. Small venues, closer to little league than AAA baseball and the level of play is top notch. You also get to watch no frills, non-electric old time baseball with people who love the game. A lot of out of state players, especially the younger ones actually live with members of the community in a "host" program. If you love baseball for the game, its field of dreams. As an added bonus, a summer on the Cape is a top 1% lifetime summer experience. My youngest brother has been doing a month there for 35 years every summer, despite living on the ocean in Florida. No matter where you stay on the Cape, day/night at the beachcomber in Wellfleet will be memorable. My favorite beach on earth. Lastly, as a true baseball fan make a stop in New England's second largest city to see the AAA Woosox. Brand new 47 million stadium in the downtown of a city, the way it used to be, makes it a great experience. No strip clubs on the Cape - bye Zachary's you always sucked.
skibum609
a year ago
Old time venues with hot dogs sold from folding tables sounds like a feature, not a bug. The Cape league has never been on my radar - I've stuck to MiLB - but maybe it is now.
caseyx
a year ago
I've been a tad preoccupied the past few days... I'm not big with commercialized sports or even the Olympics since 2000, I'd much rather watch college Lacrosse. I still like NCAA basketball yet lose interest during "March Madness". Spending 3 months on Cape Cod doing the simpler things in life sounds good. I know Cape Cod is not what it was like when I was a little kid, I really get that you can "never go back home".
mogul1985
a year ago
If the baseball is anything like the potato chips, I will pass.
Lockjaw
a year ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion